Hydaelyn Role-Players
Having issues with my character's design. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Having issues with my character's design. (/showthread.php?tid=13998)

Having issues with my character's design. - TK Hikaru - 10-25-2015

So I'm planning my character's outfit, and I've hit a snag.

Chouwa belonged to an Ul'Dahn thieving ring that would tattoo a snake onto the arms of its' members. Obviously Chouwa has this tattoo. 

Chouwa's currently in Limsa Lominsa after being sent there by the leader on a mission. However, there isn't a mission. The ring was going to be busted and U'wera (the leader), wanted Chouwa out of Ul'Dah.

Now this is where my issue comes in. Should I get her a shirt that'll expose the tattoo(I'm thinking the Arachne Shirt of Scouting since it has a tattoo) or go with something that'll cover it up?

Thanks for the help everyone.

RE: Having issues with my character's design. - Miko Shiroi - 10-25-2015

Trying to represent something in-game that isn't necessarily in the game itself is always a difficult feat. I know this very well because my own character has several aspects about himself that the game doesn't exactly allow for in the character creator.

With that being said, your idea to use the Arachne shirt seems like a solid one. However, if you're anything like me, you'll probably get tired of using the same outfit over and over again ICly. So you might decide to wear an outfit that either covers up the area, or do what I do an emote that the markings are there when you RP. Being that character creators are very specific in what they include, most RPers understand that there may or may not be things that you can properly display on your character.

RE: Having issues with my character's design. - TK Hikaru - 10-25-2015

I've got no issues with mentioning the tattoo in emote, I'm just wondering if it should be visible.

Chouwa's group was arrested and since she wasn't there, one could assume the Brass Blades might be looking for her.

I'm wondering if Chouwa should be covering the tattoo (U'wera might've told her to do so), or leave it exposed since she wouldn't know about the sting.

RE: Having issues with my character's design. - Miko Shiroi - 10-25-2015

Ahh, okay got'cha. Sorry if I misunderstood the question, then!
Mm. Well, I think it all really depends on your character's personality. If she's used to having it out on display, I don't see why she'd change that if she doesn't know that it's a risk. Maybe you could even find someone that plays a Brass Blade member to confront you.

Chouwa often left her tattoo exposed, so she would indeed show it off in Limsa Lominsa. Thank you for the advice. Now I gotta find someone willing to weave the shirt cheap.

RE: Having issues with my character's design. - Oli! - 10-25-2015

(10-25-2015, 01:37 AM)TK Hikaru Wrote: So I'm planning my character's outfit, and I've hit a snag.

Chouwa belonged to an Ul'Dahn thieving ring that would tattoo a snake onto the arms of its' members. Obviously Chouwa has this tattoo. 

Chouwa's currently in Limsa Lominsa after being sent there by the leader on a mission. However, there isn't a mission. The ring was going to be busted and U'wera (the leader), wanted Chouwa out of Ul'Dah.

Now this is where my issue comes in. Should I get her a shirt that'll expose the tattoo(I'm thinking the Arachne Shirt of Scouting since it has a tattoo) or go with something that'll cover it up?

Thanks for the help everyone.

This seems like the sort of thing that you would want to cover up, because logically it would point your enemies right to you, and potentially get you killed.

Even if they didn't know it was a threat, if they're part of a coalition of people that are doing illegal activity, they likely wouldn't want to broadcast their linkage to the public.

That is also a very good point.

Unfortunately, Chouwa's a dumb kid and likely exposed the mark anyways. Her wiki rolls with the idea she keeps it hidden.

Might roll with the idea she only recently began covering the mark as a marriage of the two ideas.

RE: Having issues with my character's design. - Oli! - 10-25-2015

(10-25-2015, 04:21 AM)TK Hikaru Wrote: That is also a very good point.

Unfortunately, Chouwa's a dumb kid and likely exposed the mark anyways. Her wiki rolls with the idea she keeps it hidden.

Might roll with the idea she only recently began covering the mark as a marriage of the two ideas.

The question then arises of why no one would have told her to keep it covered when she first got it.

If you're trying to keep your activities secret, and someone in your group with a very special marking gets caught, the police are going to start looking for that marking, and suddenly you've got a one-way ticket to jail tattooed on your arm. It's not just a risk for her, it's a risk for everyone in her thieving circle.

So it seems strange that they would neglect to mention that to her.

I get the feeling Chouwa was told not to expose it.

I might need to flesh out her backstory concerning the group a bit more.

RE: Having issues with my character's design. - Roe Dad - 10-25-2015

(10-25-2015, 04:57 PM)TK Hikaru Wrote: I get the feeling Chouwa was told not to expose it.

This might not be a bad idea. One of my characters hides her weapons most of the time as well as all it takes is one guard to notice it. Id be happy to hear the new story once its done!

(10-25-2015, 05:02 PM)Lady Krist Wrote:
(10-25-2015, 04:57 PM)TK Hikaru Wrote: I get the feeling Chouwa was told not to expose it.

This might not be a bad idea. One of my characters hides her weapons most of the time as well as all it takes is one guard to notice it. Id be happy to hear the new story once its done!
Wasn't much of a new story so much as it was figuring out how exactly the group worked. In any case, the thieves would cover their arms at all times.

Some of them however got into the habit of rolling up their sleeves and showing off the snake to their target days before pulling off the heist. A silent warning if you would.