Hydaelyn Role-Players
Wolph Het Glacius - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Wolph Het Glacius (/showthread.php?tid=14025)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Wolph Het Glacius - Garalona - 10-28-2015

On my phone so quoting in portions is rough, but by the time the most wanted bit happened I had given up the villain game. My friend's character had a very distinctive manner of speaking that he didn't change in the least, which was what raised so much suspicion, but then it was a land of haughty people so it was easy to argue it could be anyone, too. I still only had hearsay to go on, but I imagine both sides could have stood to give a little. There was never a resolution.

I've honestly never RPed around Ishgard, so I can't speak to the type of people you'll run into there, but Virella just happens to run the Linkshell coordinating RPers based there. I mostly RP anywhere but since my character has a thing about nobles and Ishgardians.

RE: Wolph Het Glacius - Ozma - 10-28-2015

Ah there's a good chance that Sion Lohel would be a wandering adventurer exploring the rest of Eorzea when she's not formally required to serve her role in Ishgard. I think this is when I can build on her character as an individual and not a political pawn of the senate so there's a good chance that we might run into each other. 

Given Sion's initial heritage, when she's not required to be Wolph she would most likely go back to the kind of person she was living in the slums. A free spirit who just got away from the hell hole of Garlemald. An adventurer eager to explore and re-discover herself.

RE: Wolph Het Glacius - Oli! - 10-28-2015

Out of curiosity, is there a particular facet of the character that you're trying to draw out by using the diplomat angle, or is it just a reason for them to be where they are?

RE: Wolph Het Glacius - Ozma - 10-28-2015

(10-28-2015, 07:23 PM)Oli! Wrote: Out of curiosity, is there a particular facet of the character that you're trying to draw out by using the diplomat angle, or is it just a reason for them to be where they are?

Work in progress is what I want to say haha xD  

If you have potential ideas to share please feel free to give me some pointers and I'll definitely reflect on it when I begin to expand on the idea.

RE: Wolph Het Glacius - Oli! - 10-28-2015

The reason why I ask is because it seems a little thrown in there, I can't really find much of a correlation between that and anything else, especially considering her former skills and temperment. If you're unsure yourself what it's doing there, then I would question its inclusion. I'm of the mind that you should know what purpose things serve when adding to a character.

The approach to character building that I would suggest is deciding what kinds of stories you wish to tell with a character, and then developing them based on that backing. Personal questions regarding the possibility of diplomacy aside, it seems as if the diplomat angle, her backstory, and her attempt at rediscovery are spreading the character rather thin. In other words, it seems as if she's covering too little ground on too many things; either many of those things will end up becoming irrelevant due to her development  (at which point it becomes a bit of a waste to put them in), or she won't develop very far in any areas in order to continue holding onto the others.

RE: Wolph Het Glacius - Virella - 10-30-2015

(10-28-2015, 07:34 PM)Ozma Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 07:23 PM)Oli! Wrote: Out of curiosity, is there a particular facet of the character that you're trying to draw out by using the diplomat angle, or is it just a reason for them to be where they are?

If you have potential ideas to share please feel free to give me some pointers and I'll definitely reflect on it when I begin to expand on the idea.
Everyone has been doing this, you just come up with ridiculous bullshit while everyone is politely telling you not to do. I'm done with it. Your character is retarded, what could be forgiven, but your ooc attitude about receiving any constructive feedback is just being met with defensive crying, what is even worse.

You know, next time just don't make a post here. You just want praise, not feedback.

/back to afk land for a few more days, byebye.

Mod Edit: User was reprimanded and placed on post moderation for this post.

RE: Wolph Het Glacius - Ozma - 10-30-2015

(10-30-2015, 06:31 AM)Virella Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 07:34 PM)Ozma Wrote:

Everyone has been doing this, you just come up with ridiculous bullshit while everyone is politely telling you not to do. I'm done with it. Your character is retarded, what could be forgiven, but your ooc attitude about receiving any constructive feedback is just being met with defensive crying, what is even worse.

You know, next time just don't make a post here. You just want praise, not feedback.

/back to afk land for a few more days, byebye.

Mod Edit: User was reprimanded and placed on post moderation for this post.

First of all thank you for being brutally honest about conveying your thoughts without sugarcoating anything. If that's how you sincerely thought about this thread and myself for having a very different idea about a concept that may or may not work, I'll simply accept and respect that as your opinion. 

As I mentioned roleplaying is something very new to me and I've yet to transfer over to Balmung to try it out. I do apologize if some of the ideas I wanted to work with simply sounded retarded in your own words. I'll admit as someone who was invited to play Heavensward with friends, I did end up trying to rush through the msq so that I can do current content with my friends who had been playing this game for years, as such I am what I am a complete amateur who might make mistakes by using ideas globally not accepted. This very thread was meant to put some of these raw ideas on the chopping board to have the more experienced roleplayers to give their insight as to what works and what definitely does not work. To great extent I see that the very idea is seen with much negativity (and hostility? lol) especially coming from you.

I do feel regretful if you truly felt that this was a thread designed to gain empty praises. The only other regret I have is that I seem to have greatly offended you and this might mean that I have little to no chance to join your linkshell for some Ishgard RP, something that originally attracted me to this site in the first place to try my hand at roleplaying. You might think I'm joking but I genuinely was attracted to the idea of a Ishgard RP though it's a pity that with such open hostility I don't think I'll be very wanted in that linkshell.

RE: Wolph Het Glacius - Warren Castille - 10-30-2015

(10-30-2015, 07:56 AM)Ozma Wrote: First of all thank you for being brutally honest about conveying your thoughts without sugarcoating anything. If that's how you sincerely thought about this thread and myself for having a very different idea about a concept that may or may not work, I'll simply accept and respect that as your opinion. 

As I mentioned roleplaying is something very new to me and I've yet to transfer over to Balmung to try it out. I do apologize if some of the ideas I wanted to work with simply sounded retarded in your own words. I'll admit as someone who was invited to play Heavensward with friends, I did end up trying to rush through the msq so that I can do current content with my friends who had been playing this game for years, as such I am what I am a complete amateur who might make mistakes by using ideas globally not accepted. This very thread was meant to put some of these raw ideas on the chopping board to have the more experienced roleplayers to give their insight as to what works and what definitely does not work. To great extent I see that the very idea is seen with much negativity (and hostility? lol) especially coming from you.

I do feel regretful if you truly felt that this was a thread designed to gain empty praises. The only other regret I have is that I seem to have greatly offended you and this might mean that I have little to no chance to join your linkshell for some Ishgard RP, something that originally attracted me to this site in the first place to try my hand at roleplaying. You might think I'm joking but I genuinely was attracted to the idea of a Ishgard RP though it's a pity that with such open hostility I don't think I'll be very wanted in that linkshell.

It's a recurring theme here: People will post threads asking for critique and then shoot down anything offered while they defend their concept they wanted critiqued, which is sort of the antithesis of asking for critique.

When adding hooks to your character, less is more. Doing one angle or gimmick well will always go further than having a dozen different things to give yourself an in to a situation.

RE: Wolph Het Glacius - Aldotsk - 10-30-2015

(10-30-2015, 07:56 AM)Ozma Wrote: As I mentioned roleplaying is something very new to me and I've yet to transfer over to Balmung to try it out. 

....You might think I'm joking but I genuinely was attracted to the idea of a Ishgard RP though it's a pity that with such open hostility I don't think I'll be very wanted in that linkshell.

Since roleplaying is new and you've not actually moved to most populated server with lot of roleplayers, perhaps it's best to not really start with discussing what you think is right than what you think is wrong. No one is here to start telling you that your idea is dumb, but if you are new to roleplaying and don't know much about the lore... then people will just raise their white flags or red card at you and give you the same hostility as written above.

If you are new to something, you are a student or intern. Whatever you learned or you know so far are just basic informations and whoever are your senior students/collegues, supervisors or teachers will tell you to wash up those basic information and follow their regulations and information that they give to you. But even if you "nicely" try to argue about the information and rules that they given to you, you will be disliked. 

Your character is your character and your ideas. But if you want to improve your character and you want to learn about roleplaying, then you should at least understand what Virella's trying to say. (except the hostility part)

I also suggest you not to feel discouraged from joining Balmung or roleplaying. You might actually meet good people and like roleplaying than you think really.

People aren't wrong about the perfect villain disguisey stuff, though. All that serves to present to the community is "neener neener, I'm smarter than all of you."

Secret villains should never be talked about in public, otherwise you're begging for trouble. I mean, it really comes down to a few things: You either get people who figure it out sooner than you expect, or you get people who just metagame in figuring it out, or you get into arguments OOC about how people couldn't have known yet, which is also difficult because now you're telling other people how perceptive they're allowed to be, which isn't good for obvious reasons...

Dual-personality angles don't work in RP if people know that's what you're doing OOCly. Also as mentioned, as soon as someone knows the trick to it all of your work is shot in the foot; You're now a Criminal with a capital C and that means your IC NPC stuff is shot, your not able to RP in hubs because Heroes will go after you, and your only recourse is to lose (read: die/get arrested) or... no, that's basically it with strangers.

Maybe I just don't understand it. You're wanting to play a Garlean in a game where the Garleans are the bad guys. By and large, once that tidbit comes out, you're not going to be welcome anywhere in public. Imagine if this was WoW, and your character came out as a cross-faction sympathizer. Or if this was TOR and you're trying to play a Sith deep in Jedi territory. All of that build-up gets detonated the moment the line is crossed.

RE: Wolph Het Glacius - SicketySix - 10-30-2015

If it makes you feel any better, I've changed a few of my character wikis and reworked my rp at least a dozen times to best fit into the advice I was given by other Rpers.

Even now, when I create a new character, the first thing I do is ask several people to examine it and let me know what should be changed.

Take this saying to heart when it comes to rping in Balmung
"When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

You have a whole thread of awesome, active Balmung rpers here, myself included, use them to make your character better in the long run!

Oh, here it is.

(10-27-2015, 01:31 PM)Ozma Wrote: I'm bound to have a very difficult time but that's what makes roleplaying as a Garlean feel like a bit challenging. I'd imagine it would be the equivalent of a Scarlet Crusader walking around in Stormwind while wearing the tabard.

To continue beating on the point, no, no it isn't. It's the equivalent of being an orc walking around in Stormwind yelling LOK'TAR over and over.

RE: Wolph Het Glacius - Garalona - 10-30-2015

Seriously, why not just snip all the backstory you've got after Sion falls from the airship? Maybe she lost her arm, maybe she didn't. Maybe that happened later and she only recently got a replacement thanks to Ishgardian engineering.

That's one of the first rules of writing: kill your darlings. You may really like the ambassador idea, the double identity angle, etc but it's too much. It's a mess. I'm telling you right now it's an over complicated mess.

You've got a good foundation of a character there— a half-breed with a chip on her shoulder becomes a killing machine, gets roped into a conspiracy to try and assassinate the Emperor (probably BECAUSE she's a half-breed and considered disposable, unlike a pure breed Garlean), it all goes horribly wrong.

That part is solid.

So what if she landed in Doma BEFORE the Empire stomped through, found an Au Ra ninja master who taught her new skills and allowed her to find peace with herself? She realizes relentless conquering and subjugation is not the way, yadda yadda yadda, but then whoops here comes he Empire, so much for that peaceful new life.

If they found out she's actually not dead she is FUCKED, so she has to flee to Eorzea with all the other Doman refugees, much as she may want to either stand & fight for her new home or even rejoin them and go back to her old one. She can't do either, it sucks, is probably still a sore point.

Maybe she wants to find a way stick it to the Empire somehow. Maybe she wants to meet with other defectors, see how they cope. There's a lot of angles to work it. Is she ashamed of her old killing machine self? Does she try to repress it only to have it come out in the heat of battle? Does that embarrass her if so? Or is she totally zen these days, like a new person?

Think about what she wants, what she's afraid of, because weaknesses are ultimately even more important than strengths.

RE: Wolph Het Glacius - Garalona - 10-30-2015

Fuck it, while I'm at it I'll add this:

The Empire DOES NOT CARE about diplomacy. The way they see it, they are shining the light of civilization on heathen nations, just like Rome was. The outsiders may put up a fuss, but they'll see they're better off after they've been living under Imperial rule for a generation or so. The idea of conjurers is just hilariously backwards to them. Politely asking rocks to heal your cuts? That's what science is for, you stick waving yokels.

They're not going to send Ambassadors to try and improve relations. They don't care how other nations feel about them. There's just "The Empire" and "Will Eventually Also Be Part of the Empire".They were annoyed when they were successfully repelled the first time, but they're just going to march back in, reoccupy their outposts, and resume their plans to conquer for the glory of a new emperor. All the first victory told them is they have to press their boot down harder to get the results they want.

Someone who went in trying to play negotiator offering terms other than "surrender or else" would be considered a lunatic at best, and would probably be quietly dealt with by one of their many already embedded spies before even having the chance to reach out.

So, in summary, a Garlean Ambassador would be dead before they even got an audience with anyone of any import. And THAT'S why the idea just won't work, and also the real reason people would laugh in your face IC.

RE: Wolph Het Glacius - Kage - 10-30-2015

(10-30-2015, 10:49 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Maybe I just don't understand it. You're wanting to play a Garlean in a game where the Garleans are the bad guys. By and large, once that tidbit comes out, you're not going to be welcome anywhere in public. Imagine if this was WoW, and your character came out as a cross-faction sympathizer. Or if this was TOR and you're trying to play a Sith deep in Jedi territory. All of that build-up gets detonated the moment the line is crossed.
Maybe I haven't done much reading but I saw this.

I can point at a person who regularly RPs here who has told multiple people that he is Garlean (while hiding the pureblooded traits). He has not been run out or lynchmobbed and he is occasionally seen healing people and such.

I have not seen the IC reaction to this character as people say would happen.

granted none of these characters or player characters are actively proposing the subjugation of eorzea, but there is no lynch mob just because someone is garlean.