Hydaelyn Role-Players
Ninja:[New to Rp in FFXIV] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Ninja:[New to Rp in FFXIV] (/showthread.php?tid=14035)

Pages: 1 2 3

Ninja:[New to Rp in FFXIV] - Osirus - 10-27-2015

Hey mates my name is Osirus and i have been playing  FFxiv for about two and a half months now and i have heard that there is a role-playing server(s). I am and absolute fan of rp and now that I know that there are server(s) to go on to do just  that, along with so many different people is just fantastic.

Okay out of the old and in with the new. I am working on a background story for Abarus, but i am still working on how i want his "personality" to be. IRL i'm a very free-hearted, loving guy who like to do new thing and meet new people. But i don't think i want Abarus to have my own characteristics.
Class/Job wise, I planning (this is a highly liked choice) on making him a Ninja From Doma (like the usual ninja by the name Oboro). I know that it may be annoying to others by Abarus being a semi-copy of Oboro but it not there character so i think i will be fine.

Anyway, If anyone could lend a mate some feedback on me thought, it would be well appreciated.

Osirus out! Cool

RE: Ninja:[New to Rp in FFXIV] - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-27-2015

Hi there! While I'm useless to you for Doma/Ninja lore, I can help out on RPC forum features, wikis and general stuff.

If there was a single-biggest piece of advice I could give, it would be to BE SOCIAL!

Even if it's just out-of character, social people are the ones that tend to get more RP. Whether that means reaching out to someone with a PM or a /tell in game saying "hey! I saw you're a RPer. Would you like to RP?" Or if you take a more Open-World/immersive route of approaching players ICly, generally, the people seen putting a lot in will get a lot out.

There is a large population of RPers on Balmung, which I see you've tagged your server as. A pretty big portion of the RPC community is too!

--

Character-wise, here's some things you could consider about your character, that may lead to potential story building:
  • Why did Abarus come to Eorzea?
  • Is there a reason he's in _____ town/location you've chosen to RP around?
  • What are his motivations? Have any of them changed since leaving Doma?
  • Does he have a family? If so, are they alive? Did they travel with him?
  • Why be a ninja?
  • Has he had any hardships since travelling?
  • Does he have a favorite food/drink? If so, why?
  • Hobbies?

RE: Ninja:[New to Rp in FFXIV] - Swygynwyzn - 10-27-2015

Yeah did he learn to be a ninja in doma? Or find a master later?

Good thing with ninja is that you can be vague about things to add as plots later.

RE: Ninja:[New to Rp in FFXIV] - Ashe - 10-27-2015

I've leveled 3 ninjas so....let's see.
Is there anything specific about Ninjas you need to know?
The job is one of the jobs where the soul crystal comes into play ICly.
Ninjas serve a master as a retainer...so maybe try finding someone to work for? There seems to be a hierarchy within the ninjas as well as princesses of certain clans...

1-50 and 50-60 ninja jobs have ninjas coming to Eorzea looking for something or someone. 1-50 is hunting down Karasu and 50-60 is finding this annoying princess's clan treasures that were stollen. 

With most Domans, from 50-60, it's kind of apparent that many people don't trust the shinobi because it was a Shinobi who betrayed Doma for the Garleans and ultimately caused everything to be super messed up...

Also, feel free to have your ninja be kind of quirky. In most mediums, ninjas are presented as super serious. But in FFXIV most of them are kinda really...amusing? They have their quirks and lively personalities. Oboro, for example, is really serious but is kind of socially awkward and Tsubame is kinda helping him out a bit.  

If you have any specific questions though, please ask!

RE: Ninja:[New to Rp in FFXIV] - Nebbs - 10-27-2015

How can you tell the ninja, they don't look like ninja.

I would play some other "cover" class and the Ninja out in secret. Maybe someone gets suspicious? etc..

Weather I am doing this already i could not say Wink

(10-27-2015, 03:20 PM)Nebbs Wrote: How can you tell the ninja, they don't look like ninja.

I would play some other "cover" class and the Ninja out in secret. Maybe someone gets suspicious? etc..

That makes no sense...
Ninja don't operate on their own. So you can't just be a ninja, walking around without a master. That would make you a rogue...

RE: Ninja:[New to Rp in FFXIV] - Warren Castille - 10-27-2015

Rogues and ninja have nothing to do with each other. Ninja quests don't begin at level 1, they begin at level 30.

Using ninja-as-presented-by-the-medium refers to a specific role. If you just want the toolkit, just consider yourself a catch-all assassin or something. It's very similar to how Dragoon infers a specific background and Paladin refers to a specific career.

There's a lot of random lore out there that only gets revealed once you've done the thing connected to it.

RE: Ninja:[New to Rp in FFXIV] - Osirus - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 02:58 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Hi there! While I'm useless to you for Doma/Ninja lore, I can help out on RPC forum features, wikis and general stuff.

If there was a single-biggest piece of advice I could give, it would be to BE SOCIAL!

Even if it's just out-of character, social people are the ones that tend to get more RP. Whether that means reaching out to someone with a PM or a /tell in game saying "hey! I saw you're a RPer. Would you like to RP?" Or if you take a more Open-World/immersive route of approaching players ICly, generally, the people seen putting a lot in will get a lot out.

There is a large population of RPers on Balmung, which I see you've tagged your server as. A pretty big portion of the RPC community is too!

--

Character-wise, here's some things you could consider about your character, that may lead to potential story building:
  • Why did Abarus come to Eorzea?
  • Is there a reason he's in _____ town/location you've chosen to RP around?
  • What are his motivations? Have any of them changed since leaving Doma?
  • Does he have a family? If so, are they alive? Did they travel with him?
  • Why be a ninja?
  • Has he had any hardships since travelling?
  • Does he have a favorite food/drink? If so, why?
  • Hobbies?
Yeah, planning on soon transferring to the server soon when i get the money to both do the name change along with the transfer.
-
And thanks mate for the character build ideas, already answering some of them in my head now. And maybe i could RP with you when I get situated aye?

(10-27-2015, 03:26 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Rogues and ninja have nothing to do with each other. Ninja quests don't begin at level 1, they begin at level 30.

Using ninja-as-presented-by-the-medium refers to a specific role. If you just want the toolkit, just consider yourself a catch-all assassin or something. It's very similar to how Dragoon infers a specific background and Paladin refers to a specific career.

There's a lot of random lore out there that only gets revealed once you've done the thing connected to it.
What I meant is that by definition, being a secret sneaky person who doesn't serve a master as a retainer might as well make you a rogue...or a random sneaky spy/thief/assassin at that point. Because by definition, Ninjas are a specific job related to Doma where they serve masters as shinobi with undying loyalty. 

The title of ninja is VERY specific. 
I've played through the job quests 3 times...I know what's up >>

RE: Ninja:[New to Rp in FFXIV] - Warren Castille - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 03:38 PM)Ashe Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 03:26 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Rogues and ninja have nothing to do with each other. Ninja quests don't begin at level 1, they begin at level 30.

What I meant is that by definition, being a secret sneaky person who doesn't serve a master as a retainer might as well make you a rogue...or a random sneaky spy/thief/assassin at that point. Because by definition, Ninjas are a specific job related to Doma where they serve masters as shinobi with undying loyalty. 

Unless they don't, because unless you can tell someone the whims of every possible master in RP it's perfectly possible to come up with any reason you want as to why you're doing whatever you're doing in roleplay. Perhaps they were sent on a fact-finding mission after years of loyalty? Perhaps they are simply told to take a break in Eorzea until they are needed again. Maybe they're masquerading as a ninja and just conveniently only converse with their master over linkshell when no one's around.

(10-27-2015, 03:41 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 03:38 PM)Ashe Wrote:

Unless they don't, because unless you can tell someone the whims of every possible master in RP it's perfectly possible to come up with any reason you want as to why you're doing whatever you're doing in roleplay. Perhaps they were sent on a fact-finding mission after years of loyalty? Perhaps they are simply told to take a break in Eorzea until they are needed again. Maybe they're masquerading as a ninja and just conveniently only converse with their master over linkshell when no one's around.
You could pull a Karasu and give up your soul stone...you'd have the knowledge of what it is to be a ninja from your own experiences, but I don't think you could perform the same feats as a real ninja. This guy said he wanted to be a Doman ninja, not someone pretending to be one >> 
Though, the lore kind of makes it seem like most of the Shinobi aren't even wanted in Doma anymore because lawlz guess who betrayed Doma for the Garleans >>
So....you could masquerade as one...but you wouldn't be a Doman ninja >>

RE: Ninja:[New to Rp in FFXIV] - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 03:28 PM)Osirus Wrote: Yeah, planning on soon transferring to the server soon when i get the money to both do the name change along with the transfer.
-
And thanks mate for the character build ideas, already answering some of them in my head now. And maybe i could RP with you when I get situated aye?

If you're the type of person who likes alt characters, highly recommended to make them on your current server and transfer them all over to Balmung for the single $18 fee. It's not directly stated anywhere clearly on the official sites, but when you pay for a transfer, you pay for a transfer of all available characters on Server A to Server B.

-

In regards to RP, I'd be happy to try! I'm Pacific Coast USA scum living in the land of no seasons with a normal 8-5 job. So that means I'm usually in-game from about 6 - 10 in the evening, unless pretending to be social or otherwise obligated. Weekends are usually free, unless some major holiday comes around and the family guilt-trips me.

You can find a horribly outdated wiki page for Franz in the signature below if you want to get a feel for the character. Franz is.....well, he's an ass most of the time to a lot of people. And to others, he probably seems like a generally decent person. He is Garlean by blood, so if your eventually character would be able to spot a Garlean (even one well-concealed) in hiding, I do keep that open to people (assuming we discuss it a little first). Sometimes the big reveal's more fun after a person's come to know (maybe trust) before Franz ruins everything, as has happened a few times. There's a bit of very stretched (or just broken) lore on the character, which I normally keep under wraps outside of personal plots/people who've basically signed a waiver. But if he seems like an interesting guy, I'm always happy to force him into new situations. Big Grin

(10-27-2015, 03:24 PM)Ashe Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 03:20 PM)Nebbs Wrote: How can you tell the ninja, they don't look like ninja.

That makes no sense...
Ninja don't operate on their own. So you can't just be a ninja, walking around without a master. That would make you a rogue...

Sure you can have a master, even be part of an organisation.

But also maybe your master is dead?

(10-27-2015, 04:09 PM)Nebbs Wrote:

That makes no sense...

Then you find a new master. Ninja are all about serving others without the utmost loyalty. That's kind of their thing.

(10-27-2015, 04:12 PM)Ashe Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 04:09 PM)Nebbs Wrote:

That makes no sense...

Then you find a new master. Ninja are all about serving others without the utmost loyalty. That's kind of their thing.

Maybe for you but there is scope to play them differently.

The point is should they walk around saying "I am ninja"?