Hydaelyn Role-Players
Mysteries of the Kupo Nuts - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Mysteries of the Kupo Nuts (/showthread.php?tid=14055)

Mysteries of the Kupo Nuts - Ozma - 10-28-2015

As someone who began playing FFXIV since Heavensward theres been several quests in the new zones that featured these items but I'm a bit confused as to what they are. 

At some points in my quests I noticed that these nuts were being used a form of currency much like how various cities use Gil as it's primary currency. At the same time I was under the impression that these nuts grew on trees and that they are edible but we're unable to eat them in the game. 

My question is, has it ever been described in a side quest I may have forgotten to pick up what these nuts taste like? I am under the impression that the Moogles do not eat them themselves but rather prefer to preserve them as a means of Trade. Bit like a fine wine it might have a more refined taste if it's been left inside the pouch of a Moogle for extended period of time so it makes me wonder what these things would actually taste like if a Moogle paid your character with Kupo Nuts instead of Gil/Gear?

RE: Mysteries of the Kupo Nuts - Edgar - 10-28-2015

"Remember, you are what you eat! 

*Munch* 

Mmm. Nuts."

RE: Mysteries of the Kupo Nuts - Sounsyy - 10-28-2015

(10-28-2015, 08:33 PM)Ozma Wrote: My question is, has it ever been described in a side quest I may have forgotten to pick up what these nuts taste like? I am under the impression that the Moogles do not eat them themselves but rather prefer to preserve them as a means of Trade.

Kupo Nuts are a variety of Plum native to the Churning Mists. Kupo Nuts were later introduced to the Twelveswood after a group of moogles ventured down from the clouds after their floating continent shattered. However, the Twelveswood Kupo Nut is extremely rare so the Twelveswood moogles reserve them for sacred rituals.

Moglin Wrote:Long, long ago, a great continent floated above the clouds, and we moogles all lived together in happy harmony. But one day, the skies were split in twain by fire that fell from the heavens and the once great continent was smashed into countless smaller ones. The islands were too small for the moogles to continue living together as one, and to ensure the happiness of their brethren, a band of brave explorers set off on a journey to a new land, and a new home. Or so the story goes, kupo.

Kupli Kuki Wrote:In the Twelveswood, we usually start our names with "Ku" or "Pu." They say it's because it makes the names sound like "kupo nut."

That said, the instance you're remembering from the quest "Nut Job" in which a Moghome moogle wishes to sell his surplus of kupo nuts seems to be an isolated incident. Most moogles prefer to horde and eat their collection of nuts, not part with them. So, no, they are rarely used for anything other than eating.

Nut Job Wrote:Mogomo is thrilled that his dream garden is one step closer to completion. He wants to eventually trade his kupo nuts to visitors from the surface for their shiny objects and tools.

(10-28-2015, 08:33 PM)Ozma Wrote: At some points in my quests I noticed that these nuts were being used a form of currency much like how various cities use Gil as it's primary currency. At the same time I was under the impression that these nuts grew on trees and that they are edible but we're unable to eat them in the game.

Kupo Nuts are edible, and the Moogles do eat them. Actually, it's the moogles' favorite food. Many moogles attribute healing and invigorating properties to the fruit, but whether or not the kupo nut has any medicinal qualities is highly suspect.

A Nutty Initiation Wrote:It seems an encounter with a nearby tree has left the Pomguard moogle dazed, confused, and unable to move. The only thing that may possibly save him is a kupo nut. Though Mogleo is leery of the seriousness of the moogle's condition, he decides to aid him nonetheless.

Upon eating the kupo nut, the Pomguard moogle's disposition changes drastically, and his earlier ailment seems like a distant memory. Before you can even wonder at his remarkable recovery, he bids you and Mogleo join him back at Moghome for a meeting with his commander, Captain Mogloo.
Rychyld Wrote:The pearl clover blossoms you grew are very dear to the moogles. From them, they derive all manner of things - their favorite food, an herbal remedy, a musical instrument, their bedding. Some say they even use them to induce the visions and trances that fuel their magic. That is why, until now, moogles have been wont to gather in large numbers where the flowers blossom. Yet once those who would harm the moogles learned of this, the flower beds became a hunting ground.

Hope this helps clear up some things! ^^ Lemme know if you have more questions!

RE: Mysteries of the Kupo Nuts - Ozma - 10-28-2015

Nidhogg's Tits! You must be roleplay as a Moogletologist or a Scholar that has a degree in Moogle Society and Culture. As someone who comes from a non roleplay realm I have a ton of question about various races and among them are Moogles. I'll definitely ask more questions when I can!

RE: Mysteries of the Kupo Nuts - Sounsyy - 10-29-2015

(10-28-2015, 11:36 PM)Ozma Wrote: Nidhogg's Tits! You must be roleplay as a Moogletologist or a Scholar that has a degree in Moogle Society and Culture. As someone who comes from a non roleplay realm I have a ton of question about various races and among them are Moogles. I'll definitely ask more questions when I can!

Have more moogle lore! The following quote is an excerpt from Fernehalwes's first post on Beast Tribe Naming Conventions:

Fernehalwes Wrote:Having hidden themselves from the people of Eorzea for so long, moogles remain one of the most enigmatic of the realm’s beast tribes, and so very little is known of moogle language, moogle behavior, or moogle biology, for that matter. What has been determined is that females will have often have forenames that begin with P, whereas males will have names that begin with K.

Examples: Kupta Kapa (male), Pukla Puki (female)

Also, if you're interested in the lore behind the Races of Man, I'd look at this post on Race Background Lore.

(Also, on the rare occasions I get to RP, I play a salty Maelstrom captain that doesn't know a lick about moogles. ^^ )