Hydaelyn Role-Players
Want to run a couple of backgrounds by everyone. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Want to run a couple of backgrounds by everyone. (/showthread.php?tid=14155)

Want to run a couple of backgrounds by everyone. - Hastur83 - 11-05-2015

Hey! It's been a while, I suddenly disappeared as soon as I made my debut. I should be around for longer this time. Anyways, I had a couple of ideas for my character, and I need some help making sure he's consistent with lore/some general advice. I know his name and what he's going to look like, and I have two very different ideas on how to build the character. First, he's a Hellsguard. Now, for the ideas:

1: A more mercenary take on the character. He's not evil, just very... well, just say he has a fondness for material stability. A sort of thief like Robin Hood/Goemon Ishikawa, he also gives away stuff he doesn't want to the poor (He likes rare treasures and armaments, he'll steal and rob regular stuff, but will end up giving it away if he doesn't need it) and also duels people and takes their weapons when he wins as a point of pride (Wheee~! Stuck some Benkei in there too!). He tends to follow his own rules, and will readily flee rather than face a tough fight. Though when he is forced to fight he is formidable. He is more "progressive" than many of his Hellsguard brethren, though still retains the desire for fame (or infamy) and recognition of his skills. He is much swifter than he looks, and even trained as a ninja, but was too impatient to complete the training. To some up his strengths; he is skilled and quick, but lazy and impatient. Personality-wise, at first he seems serious or stoic, but he is anything but. He bluffs to hide his rather impressive cowardice, and is otherwise prone to being sarcastic and snarky.

2. All business. This version of the character looks the same, but is completely different. He is a mage which seeks power over anything else, and desires to master all forms of magic. In a sense, he wants to be a master "Sage" like Tellah from FFIV. Although he is blunt and kinda scary if you don't know him, he actually isn't a mean guy, and will usually help out if someone needs his help. His desire to master all forms of magic and to gain ultimate power is more of a "personal mastery" thing than "I want to rule the world!" thing.

I also have no idea which gods to let each of them worship. Oschon for the "bandit" and Rhalgr for the "mage"?

RE: Want to run a couple of backgrounds by everyone. - Hastur83 - 11-05-2015

Oopsie, I think I posted this to the wrong forum. Frustrated Can a mod move me to the appropriate forum if this isn't it?

As to the questions, I was mostly concerned about the deities. Doesn't Nald'Thal value wealth? Would a thief or treasure hunter worship him? 

Forming a thieving duo was an idea I had too, but I wanted to see how the character would progress before I brought another person into the idea if they had something similar in mind. I mean you don't have to be a Rogue or Ninja to be a "thief." A Machinist would be a cool Highwayman, for example.

RE: Want to run a couple of backgrounds by everyone. - Sounsyy - 11-06-2015

(11-05-2015, 08:55 PM)Hastur83 Wrote: As to the questions, I was mostly concerned about the deities. Doesn't Nald'Thal value wealth? Would a thief or treasure hunter worship him?

You may find this lore compilation of Eorzean religion helpful!

A thief may choose to worship Nald, the god of commerce and wealth in this life. A powerful mage who controls a mastery of destructive magicks may very well choose to worship Rhalgr, the destroyer, who is oft depicted as a large Roegadyn in a mage's robe. They may also choose to worship many deities, all Twelve, or none at all. They may also choose to worship the deity of their city state or the deity of their birth month. Eorzean religion is very open ended that way.

Hope this helps!