Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! (/showthread.php?tid=14161)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! - Riik - 11-05-2015

Quote:Please read THIS post before replying, thank you.

It may interest you to know that a certain lalafell character currently does not have an FC. Therefore, I am setting down this challenge; whoever wants Riku to join their FC, it is time to come forward!

So recruiters and FC leaders, you may want to know what exactly this challenge entails. Well, essentially, I will only join an FC if my character is recruited ICly. Essentially put, you'll have to try to persuade my character to join your FC (naturally, only IC FCs count, or FCs that represent one or more IC organisation) through RP - no OOC communications or plans will be taken into account during making the decision. Obviously, the first to get in contact, arrange an RP then initiate said RP is more likely to get me. There has already been some interest from one or two FCs already, but as neither have tried IC recruitment, they will not be given preferential treatment.

So yes, this is basically a 'looking for FC' thread with a twist; but now you'll be asking "what sort of character is this Riku guy?"
  • Riku Toiiku is a young lalafell who appears to be about 10-12 years of age. His actual age, however, is a lot more complicated than that.
  • Riku used to be a dragoon and served Ishgard for a time, but after tiring of civilisation and living in the wild for a year or so, his discipline has become dulled and he has grown in favour of using small blades.
  • Riku's combat style is focused around speed and agility. His physical strength is poor, even for a child, but that doesn't make him any less deadly. Whilst he has a lot of room for improvement, Riku's combat abilities are generally above that of most soldiers and are on similar levels to some of Eorzea's more elite heroes. His poor physical strength does limit his effectiveness in some combat situations, however, and his dislike for killing conflicts heavily with his reliance on sharp weaponry.

• Riku right now is an adventurer who seeks to help people out and generally make people safe and happy. He is more likely to join an FC based around this purpose.
  • Riku has untapped potential for genius in the fields of mathematics, physics and music. He would make a good student for FCs focused on these areas. He is largely uneducated (or at most, self-educated), however. He has had minor practice at arcany, so an arcanist-based FC is not out of the question.
  • Riku can be described as neutral-good. He does everything in his power to live a selfless existence and help those in need; and whilst he respects laws and rules, he won't hesitate to break them if they conflict with his beliefs.
So there you have it. I hope at least someone is interested XD.

RE: I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! - Warren Castille - 11-05-2015

I hope this works out for you! I'm not sure how many IC FCs focused on protection would be willing to recruit a kid into their ranks, but who knows?

RE: I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! - Garalona - 11-05-2015

Yeah, I hope you find a good fit for Riku. Good luck to anybody who ends up courting him!

RE: I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! - Riik - 11-05-2015

(11-05-2015, 09:17 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: I hope this works out for you! I'm not sure how many IC FCs focused on protection would be willing to recruit a kid into their ranks, but who knows?

Thing is though, given that SE tend to use the same character model for lalafell children as it does with adults, it appears that non-lalafell characters would find it difficult to identify a lalafell's age without being told beforehand (especially with regards to Domans and Ishgardians). Also, prior to ARR, Riku was in a sort of odd-jobs mercenary guild and tagged along in the odd battle, so I haven't had any prior issues with my character's age (although back then, Riku didn't actually know how old he was and claimed he was 15).

RE: I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! - Khunbish Avagnar - 11-05-2015

-rolls up sleeves- Challenge accepted, mostly because...That is how everyone currently in my guild HAS been recruited is through RP and that's mandatory for joining the guild is joining it in character! (what can I say I'm picky about how I want my RP Guild to form? probably why I made one with Kasumi hahaha)

'course initiation is gonna be the hard part, have to figure out how to get them to meet in the first place, especially with the current plot going on with Aiswynd and then there is the considerations of bringing up the topic to begin with unless Riku replies to a shout about a recruitment notice posted up on a board which sounds to be not the method to go about this, I'll have to think on it while at work today.

RE: I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! - Lan Darklyn - 11-05-2015

Aside from your character's age, another bit of trouble you might have is in your demand for an FC to come to your character. Most FCs both OOC and IC seem to value members taking initiative, and that means being willing to approach the FC to apply for membership. After all if the character does not have the courage to step forward and do that, will they have the courage to step forward with the chips are down?

Good luck in your search though!

RE: I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! - RiniKett - 11-05-2015

Well, your challenge basically makes it easy for me to advertise I suppose. Big Grin

Wayfarers of Eorzea run a tavern, but also take jobs from other players or we create them from an NPC. There is a lot of nice words I could use to sell you OOC, but I rather invite you to come meet with us this evening. Even if I am not present you are welcome to come as most of the time our FC has group RP in the tavern in the evenings and are always open to the wandering adventurer who might require a meal and drink.

Depending on what time you stop by I -might- not be there tonight as I have an RL obligation, but please feel free to look us up. ICly, we have fliers advertising the tavern up around the cities with our address.

Good luck in your search!

Wayfarer's of Eorzea

(11-05-2015, 10:17 AM)Lan Darklyn Wrote: Aside from your character's age, another bit of trouble you might have is in your demand for an FC to come to your character. Most FCs both OOC and IC seem to value members taking initiative, and that means being willing to approach the FC to apply for membership. After all if the character does not have the courage to step forward and do that, will they have the courage to step forward with the chips are down?

The thing with this is that I want to get involved with a community such as an FC as it means easier access to RP and events, but my character is someone who doesn't really care about whether he's part of an organisation or not. And it's not really a case of changing things with Riku's personality to fit my OOC need, because I've been RPing him for years so it's already pretty established. That's not to say Riku can't go out and visit an FC for whatever reason (it could be he has a freelance job to deliver something to an FC or whatever); it's just he's not ICly seeking employment (though he wouldn't turn down an offer that seems attractive to him).

On an OOC level, this is me taking an initiative (possibly not the highest level of initiative possible, but I'd still think of it as some form of initiative action). I'm essentially asking FCs if any of them have room for a character like mine. They don't have to do all the work setting up the RP or anything, all I need is to see what kind of FCs would accept my character and once contact is made, things can than be set up on both sides. Easier to write one message down on a public area than send many off to multiple FCs - this isn't job seeking after all, it's RP, and it's meant to be fun XD. It's me getting my name out there for those who are interested, and at the same time, taking names of FCs who are interested.

And even if all the FCs fail to ICly recruit Riku or none have the time for an RP based around the idea, I'd have still made contact with members of the community whom I can then potentially keep in contact with for future RPs.

RE: I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! - Warren Castille - 11-05-2015

(11-05-2015, 10:40 AM)Riik Wrote:
(11-05-2015, 10:17 AM)Lan Darklyn Wrote: Aside from your character's age, another bit of trouble you might have is in your demand for an FC to come to your character. Most FCs both OOC and IC seem to value members taking initiative, and that means being willing to approach the FC to apply for membership. After all if the character does not have the courage to step forward and do that, will they have the courage to step forward with the chips are down?

The thing with this is that I want to get involved with a community such as an FC as it means easier access to RP and events, but my character is someone who doesn't really care about whether he's part of an organisation or not. And it's not really a case of changing things with Riku's personality to fit my OOC need, because I've been RPing him for years so it's already pretty established. That's not to say Riku can't go out and visit an FC for whatever reason (it could be he has a freelance job to deliver something to an FC or whatever); it's just he's not ICly seeking employment (though he wouldn't turn down an offer that seems attractive to him).

On an OOC level, this is me taking an initiative (possibly not the highest level of initiative possible, but I'd still think of it as some form of initiative action). I'm essentially asking FCs if any of them have room for a character like mine. They don't have to do all the work setting up the RP or anything, all I need is to see what kind of FCs would accept my character and once contact is made, things can than be set up on both sides. Easier to write one message down on a public area than send many off to multiple FCs - this isn't job seeking after all, it's RP, and it's meant to be fun XD. It's me getting my name out there for those who are interested, and at the same time, taking names of FCs who are interested.

And even if all the FCs fail to ICly recruit Riku or none have the time for an RP based around the idea, I'd have still made contact with members of the community whom I can then potentially keep in contact with for future RPs.

This is probably going to sound overly-negative and I apologize for that in advance, as well as the potential derail in your thread.

You're not taking an initiative. It's the opposite. You're doing that thing in the Quicksand where someone emotes that they're drinking something and waiting for someone to swoop in and pluck you up for RP adventures. By your own acknowledgement your character doesn't care if he's in an FC or not, yet you're asking other people to track you down ICly and coerce your ambivalent character into joining them.

It isn't a job seeking for you, but it is job recruitment for everyone else. You're asking for multiple groups to spend time making you the center of their attention for even just a short while. All the same, I do hope you find what you're looking for. I just wanted you to be aware of how you potentially sound.

RE: I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! - SicketySix - 11-05-2015

Ehh I don't get it, you need a Free Company, a Free Company doesn't need you.

This is similar to someone calling me on the phone and saying "Hey I'm looking for a job so I'm having all the Employers meet me at my house and you can throw your case befo.....*click* I hang up on you.

Now walk up to me, hand me a sheet of references and tell my your willing to work and we'd be good to go.

One is taking the initiative, the other is being lazy.

That being said, no matter if I disagree with something or not, I still always hope the person finds what they are looking for.

So good luck!

RE: I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! - Vyce - 11-05-2015

(11-05-2015, 12:05 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(11-05-2015, 10:40 AM)Riik Wrote:

This is probably going to sound overly-negative and I apologize for that in advance, as well as the potential derail in your thread.

You're not taking an initiative. It's the opposite. You're doing that thing in the Quicksand where someone emotes that they're drinking something and waiting for someone to swoop in and pluck you up for RP adventures. By your own acknowledgement your character doesn't care if he's in an FC or not, yet you're asking other people to track you down ICly and coerce your ambivalent character into joining them.

It isn't a job seeking for you, but it is job recruitment for everyone else. You're asking for multiple groups to spend time making you the center of their attention for even just a short while. All the same, I do hope you find what you're looking for. I just wanted you to be aware of how you potentially sound.

This. This is absolutely on point.

In addition, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and take the initiative. It is up to you why your character is joining, but ultimately no FC wants to hire a kid who doesn't want to be there.
Give him a reason to care. You can even think of it after the fact.

I play a merchant who already has a shit ton of money and hates the Twelveswood.

I joined an FC because my friend was in it. That FC is stationed in the Twelveswood, so I had to think of a reason why my guy would ever in a million years want to join. So I brainstormed, compared what he has to offer with what positions are possible in the guild, and found the motives based on past RP and side stories I had going on.

RE: I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! - Virella - 11-05-2015

In truth, I find this a lot more refreshing approach then seeking it out OOC like most people do! That said, I don't have you anything to offer myself, but I do wish you luck onto finding a FC for your roleplay.

RE: I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! - Caspar - 11-05-2015

(11-05-2015, 09:25 AM)Riik Wrote:
(11-05-2015, 09:17 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: I hope this works out for you! I'm not sure how many IC FCs focused on protection would be willing to recruit a kid into their ranks, but who knows?

Thing is though, given that SE tend to use the same character model for lalafell children as it does with adults, it appears that non-lalafell characters would find it difficult to identify a lalafell's age without being told beforehand (especially with regards to Domans and Ishgardians). Also, prior to ARR, Riku was in a sort of odd-jobs mercenary guild and tagged along in the odd battle, so I haven't had any prior issues with my character's age (although back then, Riku didn't actually know how old he was and claimed he was 15).
I like to think a lala can tell another Lala's age. XD He'd better hope there aren't any who can sniff him out...

I've always felt the best way to get recruited into an FC is by knowing members who can recommend you. Try to find characters you like and make yourself available.

RE: I challenge you, FCs of Eorzea! - Vyce - 11-05-2015

Also, because they are highlighted points in the OP:

Riku Toiiku is a young lalafell who appears to be about 10-12 years of age. His actual age, however, is a lot more complicated than that.

What does this mean? All Lalafell look incredibly young almost their entire lives. Some wear eye masks to be taken seriously. It isn't complicated. Just say how old he is.

•Riku used to be a dragoon and served Ishgard for a time, but after tiring of civilisation and living in the wild for a year or so, his discipline has become dulled and he has grown in favour of using small blades.

How did he manage to serve Ishgard as a highly appointed individual when they treat non-Elezen like shit? No Lalafell would be allowed to serve Ishgard in any capacity other than a scullery maid. The gates haven't even been open for a year, so he can't have joined since then.

You've also given a Dunesfolk a Plainsfolk name.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61151-Lalafell-Naming-Conventions

(11-05-2015, 12:32 PM)Vyce Wrote: Also, because they are highlighted points in the OP:

Riku Toiiku is a young lalafell who appears to be about 10-12 years of age. His actual age, however, is a lot more complicated than that.

What does this mean? All Lalafell look incredibly young almost their entire lives. Some wear eye masks to be taken seriously. It isn't complicated. Just say how old he is.

•Riku used to be a dragoon and served Ishgard for a time, but after tiring of civilisation and living in the wild for a year or so, his discipline has become dulled and he has grown in favour of using small blades.

How did he manage to serve Ishgard as a highly appointed individual when they treat non-Elezen like shit? No Lalafell would be allowed to serve Ishgard in any capacity other than a scullery maid. The gates haven't even been open for a year, so he can't have joined since then.

You've also given a Dunesfolk a Plainsfolk name.

1) Lalafell should be able to tell each others' ages, so age appearance does matter between lalafell. As for Riku's actual age, I consider that to be backstory-plot-based spoilers.

2) Race doesn't matter during the dragoon job storyline. If a lalafell can become a dragoon in the job quest, a lalafell can become a dragoon through RP. There is no lore more canon than the game itself. And whilst I'd never claim my character has the same 'specialness' to them as that storyline insinuates, Riku has had the capacity to wield a lance skillfully enough to be picked up by the knights of Coerthas. And as the knights in coerthas serve Ishgard, Riku did by extension. Furthermore, back then, I'd seen plenty of people RPing as dragoons in full-armour. Whether or not this fits the RPC standards nowadays, who knows, but that was the way of things.

3) Riku's name is also related to spoilers. I'm not stupid enough to have not thought about naming stuff after playing FFXIV since... 1.6-ish.