Hydaelyn Role-Players
Aether test - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Aether test (/showthread.php?tid=14163)

Aether test - Sana - 11-05-2015

While doing some research searching through old threads for the lore and what-not about magic I happened upon the footnote where Thaumaturges channel their own internal Aether for magic. Not just that but their limit is set as to what they can use and cannot expand it, but is there some sort of known existing test one can conduct to determine what your limit would be?  Is it only through trial and error that a THM would find out what their limits really are?

RE: Aether test - Khunbish Avagnar - 11-05-2015

It would make sense if most of it is by trial an error, I'm sure that assistance with the use of an Arcanist though because they are more intimately aware of aether manipulation (Aetherflow is a mechanic of theirs after all). I know manipulation and measurement of Aether can be done mechanically as well as that is also a key concept with the Machinists and that do-hickey at their side that's supposed to allow them to use aether imbued devices like the turrets and gauss barrel, as well as imbue aether into their shots via the ammunition loads...

That to me gives implications that while at the start, Thaums had limited means to measure their limits, there are now more and more ways to find those limits, and possibly push them up higher, it could definitely lead to some interesting role playing opportunities as well as you try to figure it out through the THM/BLM story lines as well as RP Plotting.

RE: Aether test - Sounsyy - 11-05-2015

(11-05-2015, 10:21 AM)Sana Wrote: While doing some research searching through old threads for the lore and what-not about magic I happened upon the footnote where Thaumaturges channel their own internal Aether for magic. Not just that but their limit is set as to what they can use and cannot expand it, but is there some sort of known existing test one can conduct to determine what your limit would be?  Is it only through trial and error that a THM would find out what their limits really are?

That's an interesting question! Likely the more insular members of the guild rely on trial and error to judge the wellspring of their aetherial vitality - but that said, during the THM questline, the youngest Coco brother, Cocobusi, has very weak anima and is said to have attempted (unsuccessfully) to augment his mana pool with alchemy. It's likely that if such a test exists at the Order of Nald'thal's disposal, it uses modern alchemy.

Aiswynd also pointed out that there are other means with which to measure aetherial energy. The Sharlayan Scions have aetherometer goggles, Professor Erik created an aether-measuring device to track residual aether from old battlefields, and the Skysteel Manufactory's aetherconverter that takes a person's aether and converts it into lightning aspect, if I'm remembering right. But with all these options in place, I imagine you could easily wing having some method to determine your character's anima limit, whether it be through alchemy or machinery.

Hope this helps! ^^ More lore on magic spellcasting, as well as a lore compilation on thaumaturgy can be found in this post!

RE: Aether test - Sana - 11-05-2015

(11-05-2015, 10:45 AM)Sounsy Wrote: That's an interesting question! Likely the more insular members of the guild rely on trial and error to judge the wellspring of their aetherial vitality - but that said, during the THM questline, the youngest Coco brother, Cocobusi, has very weak anima and is said to have attempted (unsuccessfully) to augment his mana pool with alchemy. It's likely that if such a test exists at the Order of Nald'thal's disposal, it uses modern alchemy.

Aiswynd also pointed out that there are other means with which to measure aetherial energy. The Sharlayan Scions have aetherometer goggles, Professor Erik created an aether-measuring device to track residual aether from old battlefields, and the Skysteel Manufactory's aetherconverter that takes a person's aether and converts it into lightning aspect, if I'm remembering right. But with all these options in place, I imagine you could easily wing having some method to determine your character's anima limit, whether it be through alchemy or machinery.

Hope this helps! ^^ More lore on magic spellcasting, as well as a lore compilation on thaumaturgy can be found in this post!

Thanks Aiswynd and Sounsy!

Sounsy, your previous lore threads are where I've gotten a lot of my info so far!  It is certainly a lot to absorb too.

I'd love to pull in other people for RP so the idea that maybe having to go through other disciplines to do testing would be a lot more fun not just for me, but others as well I would think looking to put their skills to use.

RE: Aether test - Khunbish Avagnar - 11-05-2015

I will say, the way the three main disciplines handle magic is fascinating, my understand, Thms pull from themselves, which creates massively destructive magics, Cnjs pull from nature, which results in fantastically healing...then Arcs...let's turn ourselves into an conduit for aether casting aether we've pulled from without, and dredged through us, and it lands them somewhere in the middle, but has enabled them to manifest other beings sustained on this constant flow of aether it seems...I really need to read more Arcanist lore -laughs-

RE: Aether test - Sana - 11-05-2015

If anyone is interested in such RP feel free to let me know and we can see if anything can be worked out.