Hydaelyn Role-Players
Geography of Hydaelyn - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Geography of Hydaelyn (/showthread.php?tid=14251)

Pages: 1 2 3

Geography of Hydaelyn - Kage - 11-10-2015

We have this map (taken from bluegartr forums from the 3.0 cutscene)
[Image: 6d76ff0233b50b9aaa27e6066eaf82b5.png]
Some more maps
[Image: iFivS7U.jpg]
[Image: 336ToEp.png]

Note that the large western continent has not been named, and is only considered the New World. Merlwyb and her crew find this (as mentioned in Over the Horizon in the Library). The old myth of Aldenard, Ilsabard and Othard does not mention this western continent. Aldenard, Ilsabard and Othard are named because they are the -biggest- and Aldenard is the smallest. Comparing the New World to Aldenard... perhaps Aldenard is not one of the biggest...

Which landmass is Othard? We know it as the Far East. Most likely not -shown- yet...!

I imagine Ilsabard encompasses the landmass known as The Garlean Empire but do we have actual in-game references to these locations?

((At the moment, GamerEscape says Ilsbard is to the northeast of Aldenard and http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hydaelyn says Ilsabard is to the northwest. I'm more inclined to believe GamerEscape))

((Intended to serve as resource / theory crafting thread. *lights up Sounsyy signal for some help*))

NEW MAP 2/20/2017
[Image: 391LqDu.jpg]

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Valence - 11-10-2015

Aah nice that'e exactly what I was looking for and asked about on Heavy RP the last day!

Invaluable info to me.

Do Aldenard seem land connected to Garlemald? Likewise, is Garlemald land connected to the other landmass on the east next to it?

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Sounsyy - 11-10-2015

[Image: jnzyjsX.png]

Red - Aldenard
Green - Ilsabard
Blue - Othard (you have to look really closely but you can see the edge of the continent there.)
Purple - Thavnair
Orange - Meracydia
Pink - The New World

The small city-state of Garlemald is located in Ilsabard, but the Garlean Empire controls all of Ilsabard and Othard since the Year 1552 of the Sixth Astral Era.

And yes, the Three Great Continents (Aldenard, Ilsabard, and Othard) are connected by land bridges which are visible on this World Map as well as the Eorzean Map. Aldenard has always been speculated as being the smallest continent, so I believe the term "Great Continent" refers to the fact that these three "great" continents are great because they are connected - a super continent if you will.

Hope this helps clarify things! ^^ Lemme know if you have more questions!

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Kage - 11-10-2015

Do you have any quest or other text log to reference ilsabard's location?

Someone is wrong on the internet. >.> <.< Insisting that Othard is what is referenced as The Garlean Empire.

(11-10-2015, 07:38 PM)Kage Wrote: Do you have any quest or other text log to reference ilsabard's location?

Someone is wrong on the internet. >.> <.< Insisting that Othard is what is referenced as The Garlean Empire.

Smack 'em in the face with this will ya?

Continent Locations:

Ilsabard
Nananoby Wrote:In the name of the Twelve and all that is good, you must cease this folly at once! The Ixal and Amalj'aa are not enemies! Your enemies lie in the northeast—the Empire! They are the true threat to Eorzea. What will come of quarreling amongst yourselves!?

Waning of the Sixth Sun Wrote:To the north, on the continent of Ilsabard, the Republic of Garlemald begins overwhelming nearby nations with their iron war machines, seizing their land and consuming their cultures. In the year 1552, the leader of the republic, Solus zos Galvus, declares Garlemald an empire and appoints himself emperor. The new imperial army, now swelling with the might of countless assimilated nations, methodically subjugates the eastern continent of Othard and the remaining lands of Ilsabard, welcoming those nations willing to bow to imperial rule, while erasing those which refuse the Garlean standard.

Lodestone Wrote:Until some fifty years ago, Garlemald was a remote and sparsely populated nation which held little more than a fraction of the northern continent of Ilsabard. But with the arrival of a technological golden age and the concurrent emergence of a brilliant young legatus—now the reigning emperor—in the span of a single generation Garlemald established itself as one of the most formidable forces in all of Hydaelyn.

Othard, the Far East
Lodestone Wrote:One nation after the next fell before their relentless onslaught, first those of the northlands, followed by the sovereign states of the eastern continent, Othard.

Lodestone Wrote:The eastern nations were the first to feel the newborn empire's mighty fist. It was during this campaign that the emperor witnessed firsthand the destruction wrought by the primals—an experience that led to an imperial mandate for their annihilation.

Doman Plum Wrote:A hard, bitter fruit found in the forests of far eastern Doma. While typically avoided by the five races, it is a favorite amongst chocobos, and is known to lighten the red hues of their feathers.

Dark Sleeper Wrote:A small freshwater fish originally from the eastern continent of Othard. It is said that the first dark sleeper was introduced to Eorzea by an exiled Lalafellin prince who wished to once again experience the luxuries of his homeland.

Thavnair, the Near East
I just posted this the other day.

Meracydia, the Southern Continent
Aloe Wrote:A thick, spiny-leaved cactus indigenous to the southern continent of Meracydia. The Miqo'te are known to treat severe burns with the cool gel-like substance found inside the leaves.

Dark Bass Wrote:This freshwater fish, known for its voracious appetite, is originally native to the southern continent of Meracydia. As its only natural predator is man, dark bass numbers have risen greatly in recent years, especially due to the increasing popularity of the faerie bass.

Exports of Import Wrote:Quality materials crafted by the skilled alchemists of Eorzea are highly sought-after in the faraway land of Meracydia. The Seventry-seven Caravans is currently preparing a shipment bound for the southern continent via Limsa Lominsa, but is still far from meeting its quota. Alchemists with the skill to craft the items are being sought to assist in the creation of the remainder of the order. Those interested are to speak with Caravan stockist Claroise Auberle for details.

The New World, the Western Continent
Acorn Snail Wrote:Believed to have hitched a ride on the hull of a trade ship, the acorn snail is an invasive species originally from the New World, far to the west. As it has few natural predators in Eorzea, its numbers have exploded in recent years.

Over the Horizon Wrote:Though there is some debate as to whether or not Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn and her League of Lost Bastards were the first Eorzeans to discover the western continent, there is no denying that their navigational charts were instrumental in establishing the major trade routes of today.

The Old World, Sharlayan
Urianger Wrote:We of the Circle are not possessed of the power to quell such quarrels. We can but stir men to wakening with words born of ancient truths. From far to the north and west have we traveled, from a place where knowledge floweth as water from a riverhead. Hither have we come to save this realm from a great sorrow that lieth all too near.

Issues came with this.
Quote:Ilsabard is north of Eorzea, Othard is the one to the north-east (we can even see a part of it shrouded in clouds on the Eorzea map labeled "The Garlean Empire").

Me:
Both locations "Ilsabard being northeast of Aldenard" and Othard being the "easternmost continent" are taken from Gamerescape's pages http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Ilsabard and http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Othard. I see no reason not to believe that Ilsabard is being shown in the map as "The Garlean Empire" instead of Othard.

Quote:http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hydaelyn

Me:
So if Ilsabard is -northwest- as this wiki editor claims, does this mean it is part of the New World continent to Aldenard's west as shown in the space map or is it not more likely that someone made a typo on the wiki you want to use?

At this point, the only thing I can think of is that Ilsabard is completely -off- the maps we see.

(11-10-2015, 08:14 PM)Kage Wrote: At this point, the only thing I can think of is that Ilsabard is completely -off- the maps we see.

But... Kage... I just circled it? Ilsabard and Aldenard are connected by the landbridge in the northeastern region of Gyr Abania. The continent is north of Aldenard, and extends further north to the north pole than what we can see on map because lolcloud placement, but it also extends east to connect with the Far Eastern continent Othard, which I also circled. Think of it like Europe and Asia.

(11-10-2015, 08:41 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(11-10-2015, 08:14 PM)Kage Wrote: At this point, the only thing I can think of is that Ilsabard is completely -off- the maps we see.

But... Kage... I just circled it? Ilsabard and Aldenard are connected by the landbridge in the northeastern region of Gyr Abania. The continent is north of Aldenard, and extends further north to the north pole than what we can see on map because lolcloud placement, but it also extends east to connect with the Far Eastern continent Othard, which I also circled. Think of it like Europe and Asia.
I meant, by humoring the post by saying that Ilsabard is -just- north and Othard is to the east (and once again humoring how Othard is the landmass connected to Aldenard).

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Kage - 11-16-2015

New things by Anonymoose.

1. The little island up northwest is not Sharlayan. It's indeed farther. It is not just across the Bloodbrine

Unknown Wrote:Why would Lord Jannequinard think I had information on the whereabouts of a handful of unbelievers from across the Bloodbrine Sea? I am an astrologian, not a fortune-teller. I cannot simply look to the stars and scry the location of the viscount's guests...unless his guests are dragons, that is.

2. To confirm that Ilsabard is not to just the north or the northwest...
A Hyuran Path Companion to a sylph from 1.0 in the Quest Together We Stand, The Black Shroud is too close to Imperial territory (Ala Mhigo and the landbridge) and suggest getting to safer ground, such as south, east, or even north across the Bloodbrine.

If Ilsabard was to the North, that would be bad advice Big Grin

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Sounsyy - 11-16-2015

(11-16-2015, 04:48 PM)Kage Wrote: 2. To confirm that Ilsabard is not to just the north or the northwest...
A Hyuran Path Companion to a sylph from 1.0 in the Quest Together We Stand, The Black Shroud is too close to Imperial territory (Ala Mhigo and the landbridge) and suggest getting to safer ground, such as south, east, or even north across the Bloodbrine.

If Ilsabard was to the North, that would be bad advice Big Grin

The quote in question:
Midlander Male Path Companion Wrote:What will you do now? Will you flee the forest?
Living this close to the Empire's borders, you only invite another attack. Why not move your tribe east or south? Or perhaps north, across the Bloodbrine Sea?

Interestingly, each of the path companions has slightly different suggestions for destination and only the Midlander mentions heading that far north. The Roegadyn suggests heading to Coerthas actually. The Miqo'te and Elezen suggest only to the South or East. The Lalafell Male asks the Sylphs to take him with them lol. Not that that's meant to discredit what you're saying. I'm in full agreement. Ilsabard is to the northeast across the Gyr Abanian landbridge and extends north and east away from Aldenard and towards Othard. Sharlayan appears to be the only landmass directly north of Eorzea far across the northern Bloodbrine sea, far off any maps we have seen in game.

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Sounsyy - 11-23-2015

Kage and I were talking about it last night, and the general accepted travel time by boat from Vylbrand to Meracydia is at least a fortnight, though based on how outrageous most NPCs view the claim of such a travel time, it's more likely to take close to a month or more by boat. Here's the quote:

Mahi Mahi Wrote:Its name meaning "stalwart" in the Lalafellin tongue, this deep-sea predator is not only massive, but deceptively fast. Some sailors swear that a mahi-mahi can make the journey from Meracydia to the Cieldalaes in less than a fortnight, though knowing most sailors, that claim may be slightly exaggerated.

EDIT: Here's why I say over a month travel time by boat-
Real world Mahi-mahi are known to travel at speeds of up to 50 knots (that's about 57 mph), however most vessels from the Age of Sail circa the 16-1700s I've researched only reached speeds of 10-15 knots. So while a Mahi-mahi may be able to swim from the Cieldalaes to Meracydia in a fortnight, mathematically, it'd take a Lominsan galleon about 3x as long to cover the same distance. Hence, why I say that by boat, it takes closer to a month if not more to reach Meracydia.

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Kage - 11-23-2015

Even if they weren't exaggerating, a fortnight is still 16 suns (2 weeks). That's still quite a long time by sea. @_@

Edit: In current real world comparison, depending on ship length, weather conditions etc, some sailing trips from Newport Beach CA to Hawaii took about 16 days. A rough distance estimate between Hawaii and Newport Beach about 2491 miles, and 2163.73 nautical miles. (2491 malms)

So I was doing (flimsy) math and at 10 knots (depending on conditions whatnot), sailing for 16 suns, that's about 4.4k miles. @_@

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Temmi - 11-26-2015

Is there any information on Sharlayan, the "Old World"? The wiki says it's on a continent to the north, but I don't see it at all.

What do we know about its location?

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Kage - 11-26-2015

(11-26-2015, 11:58 AM)Temmi Wrote: Is there any information on Sharlayan, the "Old World"? The wiki says it's on a continent to the north, but I don't see it at all.

We don't know much. From what we've gathered though, the Sharlayan island is not on any of the maps. It's far north across the Bloodbrine.

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Sounsyy - 11-26-2015

(11-26-2015, 11:58 AM)Temmi Wrote: Is there any information on Sharlayan, the "Old World"? The wiki says it's on a continent to the north, but I don't see it at all.

Sharlayan is an island, or island chain rather (Isle of Val is part of Sharlayan but separate island from Sharlayan), in the north Bloodbrine Sea. It has not appeared on any maps as of yet. But it is far to the north above the Farreach.

Fernehalwes Wrote:They’re always trying to learn about everything. They went to Eorzea so they could gain knowledge on that place so of course they probably sent parties into Dravania to study up on them and they would have known about the dragons as well. Their whole thing is they’re a city state of knowledge and they gather it and use that knowledge. They send people out everywhere around the world and bring it back to their island nation. Sharlayan in Eorzea was basically an outpost. So saying they weren’t connected would be a lie because it was more to educate people.

-Sharlayan
-Sharlayan Summary

EDIT: Sharlayan Lore Dump

Sharlayan, the Old World
Sharlayan, the Old World, is a city-state on an archipelago in the northern Bloodbrine Sea. A nation that prizes knowledge, learning, history, magic, and science, Sharlayan has been the world's frontrunners in all fields of study. It deplores violence and as such has no military. It considers Eorzeans at large to be barbarians, but dedicated a colony to study their continent, peoples, and history none-the-less. This colony was situated in Dravania and was also called Sharlayan. However, 15 years ago, it was abandoned overnight after 5 years of peace negotiations with the Garlean Empire, following the fall of Ala Mhigo, fell through.

The Old World spans across several islands, though we know of only one such named one - the Isle of Val, home to the Studium and its Students of Baldesion. Here it was that young scholars of Sharlayan would bury themselves in their chosen studies. Exceptional intellects who went on to become masters in their chosen field adopted the title of "Sage" and received the "Mark of the Sages" tattoo found on the Sharlayan members of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn and other Sharlayan NPCs we've come across such as Moenbryda, G'raha, and Rammbroes. Unfortunately, the isle of Val was destroyed along with the Students of Baldesion in an attack by immensely powerful magicks.

Show Content

Links:
-Lore Train: Inked
-Geography of Hydaelyn
-History of Towns in Eorzea
-Sharlayan Astrologian Lore
-In Louisoix's Wake
-Aetheryte Lore Compilation