Hydaelyn Role-Players
Geography of Hydaelyn - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Geography of Hydaelyn (/showthread.php?tid=14251)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Sini'to Shadar - 12-13-2015

(11-10-2015, 07:22 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: [Image: jnzyjsX.png]

Red - Aldenard
Green - Ilsabard
Blue - Othard (you have to look really closely but you can see the edge of the continent there.)
Purple - Thavnair
Orange - Meracydia
Pink - The New World

The small city-state of Garlemald is located in Ilsabard, but the Garlean Empire controls all of Ilsabard and Othard since the Year 1552 of the Sixth Astral Era.

And yes, the Three Great Continents (Aldenard, Ilsabard, and Othard) are connected by land bridges which are visible on this World Map as well as the Eorzean Map. Aldenard has always been speculated as being the smallest continent, so I believe the term "Great Continent" refers to the fact that these three "great" continents are great because they are connected - a super continent if you will.

Hope this helps clarify things! ^^ Lemme know if you have more questions!

Do you have sources for the positions of thavnair and maracydia, or are these just your guesses?
I once made a map based on what i knew for my guild, pleased to see much confirmed.
Show Content

It might be, that what you circled purple is simply part of Othard, orange is actually thavnair and meracydia lies way farther to the south, out of sight of the map. Just a possibility i wanted to point out.

That is, if you have no sources that state otherwise.

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Sounsyy - 12-13-2015

(12-13-2015, 01:26 PM)Sinkur Wrote: That is, if you have no sources that state otherwise.

It's a fair point, the Meracydian continent looks extremely close to Aldenard, a fact which has troubled me for some time. That said, I don't have verbatim sources from devs saying that these are what the continents are. But what I do have is lore stating Meracydia lies across the southern seas and that Thavnair lies specifically in the Sea of Jade. Also, that Thavnair is a very small island. The orange circled continent/island fits neither of these specific descriptions - being quite large and firmly within the bounds of the Sea of Ash. Therefor, shaky process of elimination: Meracydia. Trust me, I don't like its depicted proximity either, but until we do get an official confirmation on this map, it's the most likely choice. ^^;

Ahldskyf Wrote:We're in the process of resupplying in preparation for the long journey east across the Sea of Jade to the small island nation of Thavnair, and its capital city Radz-at-Han.

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Sini'to Shadar - 12-14-2015

I figured it's the same size as Vylbrand, but yeah, thats a sensible answer. ^^

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Kage - 04-28-2016

http://gamerescape.com/2016/04/28/lorecast-7-get-to-the-chowder/

Quote:East of Ala Mhigo, there’s a land-bridge leading into what has been identified only as Garlean territory. The other continents are oft spoken of, but in vague terms. Some interpreted the land-bridge as leading into Ilsabard, which both continues north but connects to Othard in the east, while others have interpreted it as Othard itself, continuing east with Ilsabard connecting to it directly north. Can we clear that up?

A: <pronouncing Othard as Oh-thard>

KF: First, I want to clear up your pronunciation of Oth-ard.

A: Oh, no! <laughs>

KF: I don’t think we’ve ever really said it anywhere.

F: Funny that pronunciation comes up, back when we did that pronunciation thing you told us Dzemael was closer to Zay-mail but in Heavesnsward it’s ze-My-l.

KF: That‘s wrong! That is wrong! <laughing> I need to … go and burn … It’s Zay-mail!

A: Now that you mention it, though, when Gaius first lands in Vylbrand, the voiced guy does say Othard. It stuck in my head because in another language he says he’s from Rabanastre.

KF: Guess where Rabanastre iiis! <laughs> There’s also a line in the Japanese version where they name-drop Dalmasss—<throat clearing> It’s not in English, but that’s where it is and maybe someday we’ll be seeing some of <heavy throat clearing>. But yes, that land bridge connects directly to Ilsabard. You cannot get to Othard from there without going through Ilsabard. So there’s the land bridge and it goes into Islabard <emphatic hand gestures>.

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Kage - 02-20-2017

NEW MAP 2/20/2017
[Image: 391LqDu.jpg]

New map for your consideration.

[Image: cfai36T.jpg]

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Nero - 02-21-2017

As glad as I am that Square Enix finally committed to a world map (though it only took them four years to do so), I find it hilarious that Garlemald has apparently turned Ilsabard into Beijing. Must be why they all wear helmets.

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Kage - 02-21-2017

I think it's true that this isn't the whole world map though it's a large portion. We're still missing something of the New World.

... could someone translate it >.>

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - V'aleera - 02-21-2017

I like how they have the Divine Guardians circling the island east of Doma (Hingashi?); here's hoping they're the new series of Ex trials for Stormblood.

The absence of the New World and Meracydia is unfortunate, and the trick they pulled with Ilsabard seems kinda lazy. But we do now know the exact location of Thavnair and Rad-atz-Han so that's nice.

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Valence - 02-21-2017

They aren't going to set things in stone for good aren't they? I understand it from their perspective. It gives you leeway to do whatever you want for the next expansions and stories to have a blank map around, and revealing it progressively only when they need it. And it's more teasing that way too.

I wonder just how much Byakko etc presence on the map means. We have dragons and sea serpents and a kraken (but not near Limsa) on the old map.

There are guardians and that massive figure in the swarm of miasma and clouds over Ilsabard and the Empire. There is a Bismarck though. Maybe?

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Kilieit - 02-21-2017

To clarify:

It's not a world map; as it says in the top left hand corner, it's a map of the three great continents - Othard, Ilsabard, and Aldenard.

So yes, we're still missing Meracydia (south) and the New World (west), as well as any as-yet-undiscovered-by-Eorzeans continents.

I think the Ilsabard thing is cute - because this is probably an in-universe document, and being as Eorzea has been at active war with Garlemald for a while now - and Garlemald likes to put huge holes in the ground on semi-regular occasion - it makes sense that Eorzeans would have no clue what's going on in Ilsabard geographically right now, other than the rough shape of its coastline and the position of some of its islands. It sheds light on Eorzea's position, if not necessarily on Ilsabard.

I wonder if the giant and the whale mean anything in particular, or are the equivalent of "here be dragons" in a world where we're meant to be making friends with dragons. xD

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Sylentmana - 02-21-2017

I love the art of this map. Does anyone know what that large island above and right of the mermaid is? I have a real hard time of reading Eorzean script.

Thavnair.

By the way, the embedded images plugin doesn't give you the full resolution. So right click and open the image in a new tab and it should be easier in case that's it.

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - Sylentmana - 02-21-2017

(02-21-2017, 02:53 PM)Kage Wrote: Thavnair.

By the way, the embedded images plugin doesn't give you the full resolution. So right click and open the image in a new tab and it should be easier in case that's it.

Thanks. It doesn't really help me read it, but it does help me see more of the map's beautiful details.

I am curious, though. I thought the continent we are on was called Eorzea, but it looks like the script might say Aldenard. I'm a bit confused as to what some of the smaller names are.

RE: Geography of Hydaelyn - L'ohba Tia - 02-21-2017

(02-21-2017, 03:02 PM)Sylentmana Wrote:
(02-21-2017, 02:53 PM)Kage Wrote: Thavnair.

Thanks. It doesn't really help me read it, but it does help me see more of the map's beautiful details.

I am curious, though. I thought the continent we are on was called Eorzea, but it looks like the script might say Aldenard. I'm a bit confused as to what some of the smaller names are.

The continent we're on is Aldenard. Eorzea is a geographical region that encompasses Aldenard, Vylbrand, the Cieldales, and the other smaller islands around.