Hydaelyn Role-Players
Political structures in Eorzea - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Political structures in Eorzea (/showthread.php?tid=14289)

Political structures in Eorzea - Valence - 11-15-2015

Well hello, another question...

Having seen the few bits we know about the political structures of every faction in the lore, I wondered how much we knew of that exactly? I have to admit that I come from another game (eve online) where the lore can be immensely deep and detailed especially on such matters, and it usually interests me a lot. 

I mean, I know that Ulda is a Sultanate, and that the Sultanate has to deal with the Syndicate and powerful merchant interests that have a seat to the table, but what exactly encompass the ruler power? What are its limits (they seem very numerous)? Is that only executive, legislative? Is the Sultanate just a first among peers (the merchants and syndicates)? 

Likewise, on Limsa, I can expect a rather direct line of command like a on ship for the Admiral, and the people below, but what do we know more about it exactly? How do they represent every (ex) pirate, merchant interest? How are they represented? How do they voice their concerns? How is the thalassocracy organized?

On Gridania as well, we have seedseers (all of them padjals?), but how exactly do they rule? Is it like a druidic council of sages? How are the people represented here? How do they voice their interests? How do elemental rule and law translates through the power in place? We are portrayed listeners that are the ultimate and almighty voice of the elementals on spiritual matters on who can stay and who cannot, but what else?

If we have similar info on other powers like Ala-migho, or even the Empire and Ishgard that seem more fleshed out, i'll take them too, of course..

RE: Political structures in Eorzea - Unnamed Mercenary - 11-15-2015

While we haven't gotten anything super-detailed about how each city-state is run, we can look to their Grand Companies for a basic idea.

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

We know that Ishgard had been under rule by their church for the past 1000 years, but how Heavensward and 3.1 (at this time of writing) will effect that is still to be seen.

Likewise, we know that Ala Mhigo formerly had a king, but fell to Garlean rule. We don't know much of Othard and Doma, but we know that Garlean conquest was successful, and for a number of yers, there was peace. The Domans rose up when they believed Garlean rule to be a weaker point, due to the War of Succession, and the Garleans razed their lands, which is why we have a bunch of Doman and Auri refugees in Eorzea.

RE: Political structures in Eorzea - Sounsyy - 11-15-2015

Okay, this is going to be a big one. Might be another one of those posts I come back to occasionally and add more lore to.

Ul'dah

(11-15-2015, 08:06 AM)Valence Wrote: I mean, I know that Ulda is a Sultanate, and that the Sultanate has to deal with the Syndicate and powerful merchant interests that have a seat to the table, but what exactly encompass the ruler power? What are its limits (they seem very numerous)? Is that only executive, legislative? Is the Sultanate just a first among peers (the merchants and syndicates)? 

Ul'dah, like everything else in the city, is ruled by two powers: a Sultan(a) from the royal bloodline, and a council of the six wealthiest individuals in Ul'dah, known as the Syndicate. Then there are the two political parties, the Royalists who support the monarchy, and the Monetarists who support Syndicate rule.

The royal bloodline of Ul traces traces its history back 600 years to Sasagan Ul Sisigan, the founder of Ul'dah. The story goes that 600 years ago, in the time of Belah'dia, there were born twin heirs to the Belah'dian throne. Both heirs refused to yield their right to rule and thus Belah'dia was split in two, each heir forming his own city - Ul'dah and Sil'dih. The current Sultana, Nanamo Ul Namo, is seventeenth in the Ul line.

As best we can tell, the Syndicate has not always been around and my best theorycrafting places their origins at 300-400 years ago after the War of the Sisters and the Second Ul Dynasty. To clarify, eventually the rival nations of Ul'dah and Sil'dih went to war after an extended and devastating drought nearly destroyed both nations. Ul'dah, seeking to steal Sil'dih's water resources, invaded the city-state and began what was called the War of the Sisters. Sil'dih eventually fell against Ul'dah's malicious "holy war" and as icing on the cake, Ul'dahn alchemists zombified living and dead Sil'dihn warriors and set them against their own people, sealing the civilian population in with the zombie hordes.

However, this ended the First Ul Dynasty and was replaced by the Thorne Dynasty, a Hyuran royal family who rebuilt Ul'dah over the ruins of fallen Sil'dih using enslaved gigas to expedite construction. However, the Thorne Dynasty only lasted 100 years and eventually gave way to the Second Ul Dynasty and what I believe to be the formation of the Syndicate, a governing body of Ul'dah's most affluent citizens to keep the Sultan in check so that events like the War of the Sisters and the Gigas Wars could be prevented.

That said, neither the Sultan(a) nor the Syndicate make the laws in Ul'dah. Lawmaking and the law enforcement lay strictly within the bounds of the Order of Nald'thal, the religious center of Ul'dah. The Order of Nald'thal is a religious organization worshiping the patron deity of Ul'dah's twin aspects, Nald and Thal, Life and Death, Affluence in Life and Comfort in Death. Both the Royalists and Monetarists are bound by the Order's laws and policies, though it is well known that policy can be shifted with large enough sums of gil.

Ul'dah's military (prior to the Immortal Flames) has always been mercenary. Ul'dah has never had a standing army. Instead, it relies upon private militias and hired swords to protect its nation's interests. Given Ul'dah's reputation, mercenaries and the like flock to the nation seeking the rich rewards that await service to the Jewel. Five years ago with the formation of the Grand Companies, Ul'dah consolidated its mercenary forces into the Immortal Flames, a true organized military commanded by Raubahn Aldynn, an Ala Mhigan who became Ul'dahn hero of the Bloodsands and achieved a seat on the Syndicate in 1571 after purchasing the Coliseum.

Show Content

(11-15-2015, 08:06 AM)Valence Wrote: Likewise, on Limsa, I can expect a rather direct line of command like a on ship for the Admiral, and the people below, but what do we know more about it exactly? How do they represent every (ex) pirate, merchant interest? How are they represented? How do they voice their concerns? How is the thalassocracy organized?

The Thalassocracy is interesting in that the current Admiral, Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn is not like any Admiral before her.

Traditionally, Limsa Lominsa is free port who's interests are protected and governed by an Admiral "elected" via a race known as the Trident. All ship's captains are eligible to participate in the Trident, but usually only the most well-to-do pirate kings participate as the Trident is a no-holds-barred race in which death or loss of vessels is commonplace and to be expected. The winner of the race goes on to be Admiral of Limsa Lominsa and their crew becomes Limsa's governing body however the newly appointed Admiral sees fit.

Circa the Year 1562-1567, the current Admiral, a pirate queen and explorer named Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn caused a major upset by defeating the favorite, Hyllfyr, in the last Trident. Her vision for Limsa was radical and for the next ten years, the other pirate lords attempted several times to displace her. Merlwyb established higher taxes on imported goods, outlawed piracy, and began clearing large swathes of kobold land for Lominsan farming and settlements. With renewed activity on the Garlean front before the Calamity, Merlwyb disolved the traditional free thalassocracy and established martial law over Limsa and became Chief Admiral, claiming control over all Lominsan and pirate ships in Eorzean waters.

To combat the Garlean threat, she insisted upon a united Limsa Lominsa. She drafted a document known as the Galadion Accord, under which all pirate kings would fight under her banner against the Garleans. These pirates became sanctioned "privateers" who were permitted to continue pirating, so long as it was not against Lominsan vessels or interests. While this motion quieted many of the pirate factions, there is still an undertone of discontent with Limsa Lominsa's new course. However, Merlwyb has become so powerful that none have dared challenge her rule in a new Trident.

Show Content

(11-15-2015, 08:06 AM)Valence Wrote: On Gridania as well, we have seedseers (all of them padjals?), but how exactly do they rule? Is it like a druidic council of sages? How are the people represented here? How do they voice their interests? How do elemental rule and law translates through the power in place? We are portrayed listeners that are the ultimate and almighty voice of the elementals on spiritual matters on who can stay and who cannot, but what else?

I think Gamerescape summarizes it best:
Seedseers Wrote:The seedseers are the most prominent of the padjal in Gridania and are charged with upholding the communion between the elementals and the citizenry. When in council at the Lotus Stand they serve as the de-facto government of Gridania, however much of their authority is delegated to the senior conjurers of Stillglade Fane, notably E-Sumi-Yan and O-App-Pesi. They are led by the Elder Seedseer, who also serves as the leader of the Order of the Twin Adder when the institution is invoked.

Gridanian law is based upon the Pact of Gelmorra, an agreement between Man and Elemental dating back 500 years. In short, so long as the people of Gridania do not harm the Wood, take in excess from the land, and do everything to protect and restore the forest the elementals would permit them to stay within the protection of the Tinolqa, the Twelveswood. The word of the elementals, translated by the Padjal, is law and Gridanians can rarely dispute it.

Show Content

(11-15-2015, 08:06 AM)Valence Wrote: If we have similar info on other powers like Ala-migho, or even the Empire and Ishgard that seem more fleshed out, i'll take them too, of course..

Ishgard
-Ishgardian Lore Compilation

Necrologos: His Treasure Forhelen Wrote:In our apprehension of a dangerous criminal, a struggle ensued and the cur struck back at one of my fellow inquisitors, who rightfully retaliated by holding a blade to his chest. It did pierce the offender in his thrashing, and a skewered copy of the Necrologos fell from his robe, from whence it had been protecting his heart! The dark tome's binding unraveled in the scuffle, and the pages flew hither and thither. While we have the urgent duty to bring the perpetrator in for questioning, we cannot allow such irreverent filth to remain strewn about. Someone must to go back to the Dravanian forelands, gather the pages, and rid the realm of any creatures that may manifest.

Warmer than Wine Wrote:If rumors are to be believed, there are fish in Azys Lla known as bullwhips who jump and thrash when but a mere drop of dragon blood—sweet as nectar to their palate—falls in their vicinity. I shiver with delight when I hear this, for it means a quicker way to discern an accused heretic. Could I trouble you to bring me some fresh specimens to test the theory? Do not take pains to feed them. We have plenty of food available.

Ala Mhigo
Ala Mhigo, before its fall 20 years ago, was ruled by a monarchy. However, the Order of the Fists of Rhalgr held considerable political and religious power and popularity in the city-state.

-Ala Mhigo Lore

Show Content

Garlemald
Originally a republic ruled by a council of Garlemald's founding families, the Garlean Empire was born some 50 years ago when Solus zos Galvus brought war to the city-states of Ilsabard. Now an Empire ruled by a dictatorship, the original founding families act as noble houses of some esteem within the imperial setting.

Show Content

Eastern Nations
-Nobility Lore

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: Political structures in Eorzea - Valence - 11-16-2015

Thank you for the exhaustive answers!

I suppose Uldah could be seem as a sort of constitutional theocracy ?

RE: Political structures in Eorzea - Seriphyn - 11-16-2015

(11-16-2015, 12:32 PM)Valence Wrote: Thank you for the exhaustive answers!

I suppose Uldah could be seem as a sort of constitutional theocracy ?

Constitutional monarchy, as even if the thaumaturges write the laws (akin to a civil service, because I believe the monarch and Syndicate still vote on things), sovereignty lay with the Sultan or a sultana.

I suppose from what Sounssy has put, that'd make Limsa Lominsa a military dictatorship, technically.

RE: Political structures in Eorzea - Valence - 11-16-2015

Well that's actually the thing with constitutional theocracy (not dissimilar to Iran), the executive is not religious, much like Uldah. The religious body is the parliamentary body, aka the legislative power. Except here it's not really parliamentary in nature, but it remains a religious institution that writes the law. 

That's what made me say that it's a constitutional monarchy yes, but more than just that.