Hydaelyn Role-Players
Difficult to fit in. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Difficult to fit in. (/showthread.php?tid=14324)

Pages: 1 2

Difficult to fit in. - DanteScaeva - 11-18-2015

I'm not sure if its just how the community is or if I'm just extremely unlucky on my hunts for roleplay but it seems to me as if you don't know people that roleplay or aren't apart of a FC its rather difficult to find a place where you can fit in and RP with other people.
I've wandered around Ishgard, Ul'dah and the other places and its been on a very rare occasion that I manage to get involved. Sometimes its even awkward just sending someone a tell, mentioning it and not getting a response etc.
What would be the best thing to do in this situation? Because I'm finding it hard to keep my drive for RPing. ;-;

RE: Difficult to fit in. - Cailean Lockwood - 11-18-2015

Finding random RP is indeed an awkward experience. So I would recommend you joining an FC that focuses on RP. There are quite a few of them, and most are listed in the FC section of this forum, so have a look there, find one that fits your RP theme and ask to join/send an application. ^^

RE: Difficult to fit in. - Leggerless - 11-18-2015

Seems like you're desperate for RP and need some motivation.

Just know that getting into RP circles doesn't happen overnight. You'll have to work and take the initiative to cement yourself.

RE: Difficult to fit in. - Kasumi - 11-18-2015

Well, might not help much, but I plan to be in Ishgard in the coming days for story RP. If I see you there or around, I'll be sure to try and include you. ^^ ...As long as you don't mind Au Ra. haha

Well, even if you didn't, might make for even more interesting RP. haha

RE: Difficult to fit in. - Teadrinker - 11-18-2015

I believe I saw you in the Forgotten Knight. Twas PvEing at the time so it's not for a lack of seeming interesting that I didn't approach.

A couple things I always do when I spot someone that interests me is I always tab out and look for a wiki or profile or some such. Having one of these can help immensely. A good wiki can make me stop what I'm doing and send a tell going "Hey, I can't at the moment but RP. This needs to happen."

Also joining the right linkshells and speaking up in them is a great way to find RP and new people. For example, you were in the Forgotten Knight and if memory serves you character did seem Ishgardian. I would suggest joining Ishgard RP and an associated FC on that character.

Something I've noticed is lot of people in the game suffer from perpetual and significant shyness. I highly HIGHLY doubt any of it is personal. Heart

RE: Difficult to fit in. - Zhavi - 11-18-2015

As with any social situation, you have to be willing to face rejection in order to get interaction. Similarly, you have to be willing to try multiple things. I don't know of anyone who just fell into rp and has never had any bad experiences... all the people with regular rp had to put themselves out there at some point.

If you need some tips on how to reach out to others or make contacts for rp, ask. But, remember, it's up to you to act.

RE: Difficult to fit in. - DanteScaeva - 11-18-2015

Well I did start putting abit more effort in, since I've been on Balmung for ages but I never knew about this site and a long while back is when I was probably more active but as time passes some people do end up leaving and thats what happened to the people I know.

As for the effort part I did make a rough wiki page so far and did try writing up something in the connections, I'm not very good at writing these kinda things but I think I did alright and I'll update it when I get more time but if you do want to check it out its here Click Me! Any pointers and stuff, advice, suggestions as you've kindly given already is always welcome.

But I'd love to be involved in anything so I'll gladly take up the offer, but I do spend most of my time around Ishgard I love the place, the music and the setting theres just something about it.

RE: Difficult to fit in. - Unnamed Mercenary - 11-18-2015

Honestly, I'd say stop trying to find 100% random, walk-up RP (at least not as your -only- source of RP). In my experience, it honestly just doesn't stick. Yes, there are people who've had success with it. Yes, there are people who have built lasting connections. But I've found that it frequently isn't from little encounters in game from time to time and without any sort of planning at all. (Experiences may vary).

What I would recommend is to look around the RPC, maybe tumblr if you've got the fortitude to sift and search through it, looking for people who are not only interesting to you, but seem to be open to meeting your character. Very likely, it's not going to hit off perfectly and with beautiful results. That would be like going to a bar, getting drunk, and then finding your soulmate. It's mathematically possible, but not likely.

At the end of the day, you do have to reach out to people. Send 'em PMs here. Or an ask on tumblr. Or a tell if it looks like they're in-game and not already occupied. Quite a few may not answer. Move on with the ones who do.

RE: Difficult to fit in. - Scaraphae - 11-18-2015

I can only really second that being ignored/rejected is part and parcel of trying to find roleplay. I'm another of those who will be around Ishgard icly in the near future so if I see you, prepare to be poked!

RE: Difficult to fit in. - DoomsdayClock - 11-18-2015

I've given this advice countless times, anytime I see one of these threads and poke my head into it...so I'll give it once more.
All of the wiki pages, FCs, and posts on a forum won't help you unless you yourself, are willing to throw yourself into the pool ( sometimes the deep end even )
Those Rp hub areas are full of Rpers, who will sit like pigeons on a line waiting for someone to hand them a script and story. The best way to really get involved in things, is to take your character by the ankles, and wield them like a bludgeoning weapon into whatever Rp or interesting people you see hanging around.
Just be interesting..and realize what you put in will be what you get out ( most times. )
A lot of it really is being willing to put yourself out there. And a lot of these wall flower Rpers tend to be drawn in when they see the openings. I've made COUNTLESS alts, to try out different personality types...and each time I've managed to find something do. But I had to be willing to pry myself from the pillars of the Quicksand and just stroll up to people. Or just emote on your own. Sometimes that alone will help yank some Rp agro your way.
Go for it.
Cactuar

Here's the ugly truth about getting into your rp groove:

it's networking.

1) You have to be in the right place at the right time for walk-up rp. That means attending events, and either having your character directly interacting with others or manipulating your surroundings to enable rp (utilizing objects, npcs, or actions that directly interact with multiple characters or encourage direct interaction -- for example I've had zhi have a coughing fit while drinking that sprayed alcohol all over someone).

2) OOC communication. No, you don't have to, but it dramatically increases your chances. This means talking to people about their characters, about plots, about their rp.

Do not talk about your rp unless asked or you're trying to figure out an opening scene/plot. Why? Because if you want to engage someone, you need to show them that you are interested in their character. Plus, people like to talk about their creations. It makes people feel good to know someone is interested.

"Hey, your character's [trait, backstory, whatever -- the more specific the better] is [positive thing]. I'd really like to rp with you sometime, would you be open to that? I can give you information about my character if you're interested"

"Hey that rp you did [specifics] was [positive thing]! I'd love to rp with you sometime if you're available!"

Keep in mind there are a good chunk of people who do have a lot of rp on their plate or are busy and have to schedule their rp -- don't be discouraged if they don't have time or it doesn't work out.

Look for: new people.
Making connections.
Recent updates in the wiki (pm the player on the rpc if you like their page)
People who say they wish they had more rp
FCs or LSs that fit your style

NOTE: not every character meshes, not every player meshes. Don't take it personally if the rp fizzles. Try again. Eventually you'll find rp partners or a rp group. I've had plenty of rejections when I've looked for rp, but I've also found some phenomenal people and had some phenomenal rp.

I have a three-shot rule with people I don't know, too. If we are trying to schedule rp and it doesn't work out, or I send them a message and they don't reply, I try two more times. After that, I move on to someone else.

Best!

RE: Difficult to fit in. - DanteScaeva - 11-18-2015

I do make the attempts of interacting with others randomly, be it walking past someone and bumping into them or such so it's not as if I'm waiting for it to come to me, I am trying to search out there but I guess its where I'm just adjusting to change of having RP and then not having it for so long.

I did the other day, do what you just mentioned I was watching a small group RP in the Forgotten Knight in Ishgard and I just PM'd one of them that I was enjoying it, watching it from the short distance IC and overhearing something which interests my character got me involved.

But I understand what you're saying and getting at and its one of those things that will get better over the course of time, I have some things to look forward to now from others by what I've read and I've cheered up abit seeing encouraging words from those who have known the situation and know how to deal with it. So fingers crossed!

RE: Difficult to fit in. - Magellan - 11-18-2015

95% of Rp I find is through my FC or the people they know. But I do pop in here from time to time to try and meet new folks. You are welcome to contact me on Alexa Rose or Sayuri Kanno if you want to try and set up rp sometime. I'm on most nights EST.

FCS and LSs are the best way to find consistent rp, or attending events and trying to establish connections.

If I don't hear from you best of luck, and hope you find some great rp soon!

(11-18-2015, 03:16 PM)Vinland Wrote: I do make the attempts of interacting with others randomly, be it walking past someone and bumping into them or such so it's not as if I'm waiting for it to come to me, I am trying to search out there but I guess its where I'm just adjusting to change of having RP and then not having it for so long.

I did the other day, do what you just mentioned I was watching a small group RP in the Forgotten Knight in Ishgard and I just PM'd one of them that I was enjoying it, watching it from the short distance IC and overhearing something which interests my character got me involved.

But I understand what you're saying and getting at and its one of those things that will get better over the course of time, I have some things to look forward to now from others by what I've read and I've cheered up abit seeing encouraging words from those who have known the situation and know how to deal with it. So fingers crossed!

You also, in the course of arranging rp, need to come up with an idea of a direction for the rp to go in. IE, something that is driving your character in the moment, that is going on in the surroundings, that provides other characters with drive and reason to keep interacting with your character.

Jobs, research, mystery, interpersonal issues, spying/information gathering, needing aid/advice/mentorship, being lost, etc.

If it is aimless, random, or focused on awkward conversation, it's likely going to fail.

RE: Difficult to fit in. - Vyce - 11-18-2015

(11-18-2015, 02:26 PM)Vinland Wrote: I'm not sure if its just how the community is or if I'm just extremely unlucky on my hunts for roleplay but it seems to me as if you don't know people that roleplay or aren't apart of a FC its rather difficult to find a place where you can fit in and RP with other people.
I've wandered around Ishgard, Ul'dah and the other places and its been on a very rare occasion that I manage to get involved. Sometimes its even awkward just sending someone a tell, mentioning it and not getting a response etc.
What would be the best thing to do in this situation? Because I'm finding it hard to keep my drive for RPing. ;-;

JOIN AN FC!
There are several Adventurer FCs that don't do plots. You just have a network of people who can RP.