Hydaelyn Role-Players
Music for Little Ala Mihgo [Closed] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Music for Little Ala Mihgo [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=14349)

Pages: 1 2

Music for Little Ala Mihgo [Closed] - Q'nahli - 11-20-2015

The sun shone brightly upon the sands of Thanalan, as it nearly always did. This day Nahli wore loose fitting desert clothes and one of her wide brimmed hats. She was not dressed nearly as fancy as she usually was. The refugees would not appreciate her flaunting her comfortable lifestyle while they fought to survive. The Miqo'te had packed enough to last for their short stay. She had Eorzea Lyre and a longbow with her, just in case. Little Ala Mihgo was not far.

"We will be at Little Ala Mihgo shortly!" Nahli says to Odette, who is probably nearby, either mounted on a horsebird or walking. Nahli would be riding her chocobo named 'Leafsong'.

RE: Music for Little Ala Mihgo [Open] - Capheira - 11-20-2015

A "kweh" squarked from somewhere in the vicinity of Nahli's tail in a cloud of dirt-red dust, along with the thudding footsteps of a rambunctious chocobo and it's Highlander charge. Wrestling with the reins of a dark brown bird, Odette nodded in the miqo'te's direction regardless of whether or not the woman could see her.

"Nng. . . bloody bird." she muttered under her breath, snorting out the billowing dust that assaulted her nose. Peering upward from beneath the slight shade of a hempen hood, she squinted long lashes in the direction they were headed with some small measure of apprehension for a settlement long left behind. When her fellow Jackal had mentioned and then invited the Highlander to join her on by-moon visits she made to Little Ala Mhigo, it was with mild apprehension she agreed. After all, the miqo'te had come to her with a desire for feedback on lyrical content for such; it seemed only right that it seemed an appropriate time to look upon her people once more - regardless of the thoughts and opinions she may hold of the place.

The blonde bardess herself was dressed down, much as she always was, save for public appearances, though perhaps going that one step further for Thanalan sun and Ala Mhigan anonymity. An off-white, cowled robe flowed open over her usual exposing shirt and short-breeches, whilst a hood of the same hue was pulled upward over golden locks. As always, worn leather satchel remained slung over her shoulder, banging against the bronzed skin of a bar leg as she was thrown about. Additional luggage of violin remained fastened securely to the back of jostling saddle.

"What. . . ack!" a sudden jolt of her feathered mount send the bardess leaning to one side as it picked up speed without rhyme or reason. "What is yer normal routine fer these trips of yers when ye come out this way, iffen ye have one?"

RE: Music for Little Ala Mihgo [Open] - Q'nahli - 11-20-2015

Nahli's mount trotted on, giving the miqo nowhere near as much trouble. She couldn't help but to break into a smile at Odette's beast of burden. "Feisty isn't he?" She says, trying to cover her mirth, though she does not do so very well. Peering into the distance, Little Ala Mihgo was within sight, a modest shelter in the middle of a sun scorched desert. It had a beauty of sorts.

"Well, I take the sunlight upon arriving to settle in as good as I can. During evening I sing and entertain the refugees. If they need any aid with hunting and gathering, I do my part." She shifts on her mount to look back towards her companion. Leafsong continued to trot forward, every now and then loosing a loud "KWEH!". By now the sun was dipping down, preparing to descend beyond the horizon.

"We will be there before sundown. Usually I get a warm welcome. They appreciate those like us who give them the time of day. Unlike the damned merchants of Ul'dah. Some of them are good, many are not." Her lips press into a thin line, and she shakes her head.

Odette snorted through freckled nose once more. "Fiesty? Ugh, hardly. . . it's just. . . never been fond of these damn things. All wobbly on their two damn legs, it's a wonder they dun topple over."she replied, shouting out over the short distance between their mounts as Bayard swerved out rightward once more. At least this one hadn't given her a faceful of feathered wing. Yet. 

"I admit, I'm kinda surprised they're sah receptive," called the Highlander once more, managing somehow to steer the reluctant bird back in the direction of her fellow bard. Not unlike a dog being taken for a walk and pulling against it's leash, the comparison was an easy one to be made in relationship between woman and chocobo. "They. . . we," she corrected, "tend t'be a proud people who dun respond well t'pity. Depends on who yer dealin' with though, aye. Still, it pleases me  t'hear that ye've had success there - I imagine especially with t'younger lot."

A nod was given to her tailed comrade for her latter words, "In all honesty, I could nae speak on t'current mindsets beyond what I've heard. I've avoided it, beyond the resis-- third-party contact here an' there." A loud "KWEH" sounded from Bayard again as he decidedly picked up the pace, shooting past Nahli and Leafsong with a disgruntled mounted in saddle. "Nnnn!"

Nahli watches Odette and her bird blaze by, bursting into titters. "You get used to them. I trained with them a great deal in Gridania." She digs her heels into the feathery flanks of her bird gently, urging her forward after the runaway chocobo her friend is mounted on. "Leafsong used to be like Bayard when I first met her." The miqo absently pats the bird, running her fingers along it's feathered neck.

She looks back towards Little Ala Mihgo, her face once again breaking into a smile, "They were not fond of me at first. I showed them that I could be just as persistent as they are. I kept coming despite the fact that many did not attend my performances. I earned a grudging respect, I suppose. I have been coming here every moon or so, after I spent time in Ul'dah. I stopped going to Ul'dah after this trouble with Talen began..." Nahil trails off, looking off into the distance, her brows furrowing in sudden worry.

"I pray he is alright. I...I fear the worst. The Maelstrom said he went missing on a patrol..."

Yanking back on the reins of the unruly feathered companion, the bronzed blonde muttered with a shake of her head. "Should have four legs. . . now that's a real mount." Fly away tendrils of golden hair were tugged free by the dry wind that warmed her freckled features as the Highlander turned the attention of her dark ocean hues over her shoulder to glance back in Nahli's direction. Thankfully, the bird had slowed long enough for the smaller woman to catch up. Whatever Odette herself had to say for Nahli's response, found no foundation as the words from the lips of her friend trailed into expression of concern.

"I guess ye spoke with them, then?" confirmed the seafarer turned chocobo-wrangler, her voice dipped to something of a more conversational tone with the distance closed between chocobo. Golden brows slowly dipped to knit at the center of a sun-kissed forehead, an expression of thoughtful disquiet creeping across her freckled countenance. A single clucked note sounded from Odette's full lips as rosen tongue flicked against the back of pearly teeth. "They could tell ye nothin' else? Perhaps what patrol he were on or who were the last one t'see him?" she asked after a few moments of silence, save for the thudding of feathered footsteps and the occasionally chirping cicada.

Nahli shakes her head, "No. They divulged no other details to me. Just that he was patrolling Upper La Noscea up by Camp Bronzelake, and that he never reported back in. Talen is the flighty sort, but he wouldn't up and abandon the Maelstrom, especially since he knows he would get an earboxing from myself if he did." She sighs, "I may go search for him after the Festival, but I doubt I will find anything..."

The miqo'te leans against Leafsong, turning to Odette, "Some context is in order though. Talen, my friend, was an assassin. Worked for a merchant in Ul'dah. A ruthless Dunesfolk know as Tasarth Vasarth. Weird name for a lalafell..." She remarks, almost as a side note. "I convinced Talen to turn himself around. Tasarth did not take kindly to my meddling." Her worried expression contorts into one of anger. "He said he would kill Tal, but that it was not anything personal. Just business." She clutches the reigns of her 'bo so hard that her knuckles turn white and pop softly.

"I guess that even life and death is just business to the merchants of Ul'dah."

"Typical," sighed the woman, dark lips thinning slightly for what seemed to be ever-present red tape that was so very common within governmental hierarchy. 

Daring to take a hand off the reins that she had tightly wrapped around hands that were lightly scarred upon knuckles and digits by thin, almost unnoticeable lines, the Highlander threaded her fingers through the blonde pallor of her bangs for a few passing beats. It then dropped to her lap. As those ocean hues turned once more to the dark-haired miqo'te beside her, Odette offered a sympathetic smile as she listened to the explanation; small as it was. Even in doing so, her attention was not fully present, however, as if the gears of her mind were already churning for possibility and probability both. 

"Tasarth." was murmured softly under her breath; not a name she recognized. A moment later, the woman thumbed at the freckled curve of her sculpted nose and suggested, "T'first thing yer goin' t'want t'do is ask around those were were t'same rank as he were. Screw t'big fellas, they ain't gonna tell ye shite. Whether they cannae or willnae are both two sides of t'same coin, sah mebbe those he actually worked with who ain't got their heads up their asses could at least give ye some idea of when an' where he were last seen. That's gonna give ye somethin' of a radius, at least. Yer also gonna want t'tell me where I can find this Tasarth fellow." continued Odette, gesturing with a few bronzed fingers as they rode. 

A single slap was given to her neck for the unfortunate blood-sucker that had taken it's perch thereon. "If nae me, then someone else what can have a little chat with that sentient popato."

"I will ask then. Do some leg work. Mayhaps even look into those who were on duty up at Camp Bronzelake. If I can find a lead, I will take it." The bit of hope brings a small smile to her lips, but the worry hasn't been banished, not completely anyway. She shakes her head at Odette, her smile becoming sad, "Sadly, I cannot tell you where he makes his home. It appears that he moves around a lot to prevent himself from being found by his enemies. To make matters worse, he is a Thaumaturge. Tal said he decimated an Amalj'aa ambush all by himself."

The grow close to the gates of Little Ala Mihgo as they converse, the entrance would soon loom before them. "He also seems the sort to punish those who meddle in his business. It is why Aeron did not want to put his name to this. He did not want to draw the Jackals into another fight against a foe with great resources. I understand. Seeing half of the shite the Jackals have to deal with, I cannot blame him. Between Garleans and Cults and all that, another enemy may be too much for us to handle. I will figure it out. If I have to, I will put an arrow into the Lala's eye and be done with it."

Finally, they arrive at the gates of Little Ala Mihgo. Two guards, a man and a woman step before them wearing harnesses and subligars, each holding a wicked lance. "Speak your names and your business in Little Ala Mihgo." Nahli would pull her lyre from a pouch on Leafsong's side, "I am Q'nahli. I have performed here before." She would put on a smile, looking to Odette and Bayard.

Odette listened as closely as she could to the explanation her friend had given, some small measure of intensity grasping at her comely features from within windswept hood. "Of course it would be a swivvin' finger-wriggler," the bardess grumbled under her breath, a slight shudder rippling up through her spine for the unveil that creased her brows and soured her tongue with the thought. It was quickly chased by a quirk of those full lips in something of mild amusement and sly formulation of whatever plan was snaking its way through the recesses of strategic mind. 

"And that is why, dear Nahli, we would nae put any names to it. . .  nothin' that can be drawn back to our home or t'people we care about. Ye cannae come after t'unseen, ye cannae track t'unheard; be they our steps or the steps of those whom operate in shadow. There is always a way, just depends on how far yer willin' t'go t'see it done." spoke the woman in a leveled tone that trailed off as the gates came into view. Without realizing, Odette's breath caught momentarily in the swell of her generously curved bosom. Little Ala Mhigo.  A wash of mixed emotions swept over her, if only in brief - disgust, sorrow, anger, nostalgia. 

It was several moments later that the Highlander realized all eyes now rested on her and in knowledge of such, she snapped with ease into a charismatic grin that stretched across bronzed countenance beneath the off-white cowl. "S'me, ain't it? Tag's Odette." she greeted, lifting a few bronzed fingers to tap against the casing of her violin before placing that same hand upon the generous curve of her chest to dip her head. "I'm keepin' her company."

"Right, off you both go." Both of the Highlanders step back to their posts as the pair passes, awaiting the next traveler to approach.

"Aye, but if he were to be taken out of the picture in any way, I would be the first suspect to have a hand. He has the gil to cause plenty of trouble, even if he dies. Of course, mayhaps any retribution aimed will die with him. Who knows?" She says with a shrug as they pass through the gates.

Nahli guides her chocobo to the nearest watering trough and slides out of the mount. "Good girl." She whispers, making sure to get the bird watered and fed. The miqo'te begins to unlace the saddlebags on her 'bo. "We can set up a spot for ourselves over on the upper level." With a grunt, she slings the bags over her shoulder, snatching up her bow. 

While they are unloading, they draw a few stares, but it isn't uncommon to see adventurers in Little Ala Mihgo as of late. A few nod to Nahli if they pass, and she would nod in return. Leafsong eats and drinks, cooing in satisfaction. 

"Shall we?" She says, gesturing towards the tunnel that leads to the cavern they would be staying in. 

((Thank yooooou! Big Grin))

"I see yer point," replied Odette, her ocean hues tracking the movement of the gate as they passed through, the light of the aetherite glowing softly to light the waters of the inner clearing the two approached. She stopped in her tracks for the briefest of moments, gaze scanning the surrounding area to search for any faces that she might somehow recognize through a child's eyes after twenty years. There were none. "Still, if I can help in any way Nahli. . . I ain't goin' t'press it on ye. Ye know where t'find me if ye need an extra pair of hands what ain't afraid t'get dirty."

Taking the first opportunity that presented itself, the blonde slipped off her saddle with a duelists grace. Or so she would have, were Bayard willing to cooperate. Just as the Highlander had swung her shapely leg over the worn leather saddle, the feathered menace decided to start walking forward with a flap of it's spindly wings right in her freckled face as he trod off after Leafsong; apparently enamored. "Pah!" exclaimed Odette, swatting at the belligerent assault and losing her grip of the saddle in the process to stumble backward before finding her balance. 

Grasping the chocobo by the reins, though not without first casting a baleful look in it's direction, she moves to follow the miqo'te with a nod. "Aye, best we do that." she agreed, throwing back the hood of her open robe to shake out golden ponytail and windswept bangs as they walked further into the tunnels. Each step in the dark dirt was a memory for the Highlander, not of this place but of another far to the east.

RE: Music for Little Ala Mihgo [Open] - Q'nahli - 11-21-2015

Nahli covers a smile at Bayard's antics, her feline eyes dancing. "Seems like he has taken a fancy to Leafsong." She looks to Odette who is in tow, her expression one of appreciation. "Thank you. It means much to me. Not everyone has allies, nay, friends as good as the Jackals." Each step echoed down the corridor, before long they came to the cavern where they would be staying. It was cool, and dark, lit by torches. The flames within flickered and danced, casting light over the walls. People sat about, sharpening weapons, sleeping, practicing swordplay. Many wore dour or angry expressions. They had been dealt a poor hand, and no one was willing to help them. 

They found their way to the open area where they would stay. Nahli would set down the saddlebags and begin unpacking the few belongings she had brought. A sleeping bag, a few potions, some bandages, her bowstring, rations and a few other odds and ends was all she had on this outing. "Last time I went on an outing I brought my whole room. Miir kept poking fun at me for it. Lots of unnecessary shite. I have been working on changing that." She sits back, pulling off her hat, her light skin glistening with sweat. "I am happy to be here. Despite all that is happening, I am glad to lift these people's hearts. Some call it pity. I'm not here because I pity them. I am here because they have nothing, and mayhap for a moment they can forget that in my songs. Mayhap from my songs they can glean a shred of hope for the future."

RE: Music for Little Ala Mihgo [Open] - Capheira - 11-21-2015

The jolt of the reins in her hand proved true to Nahli's words as Baynard lurched forward anew; much to the disdain of Odette herself. Regardless, the smile that was offered in the miqo'te's direction was a warm one that sent the smattering of cinnamon freckles upon her bronzed cheeks dancing. "Any time, Nahli." she responded to notions of gratitude for offered aid.

Tying the brown-feathered chocobo to the nearest of the rickety rails that ran the edge of pathing to the lower sections below, Odette glanced to the nearby tents and worn blankets of clan-kin that gazed in their direction. Despite the fact that Q'Nahli had made a habit of spending the night every few moons it did little to stymie the attention they received for being there; whether it for the miqo'te, the pair of them and their intentions or the blonde highlander whom was unknown to them. Casting off the outer robe from her person, the shapely siren drew down her own minimal luggage and rolled out canvas bedding which only in slightly better condition than those around her.

"These people are here because they choose t'be." murmured Odette softly in Nahli's direction, lowering her voice so as not to be overheard. "We went from bein' a proud nation, filled with capable men and women. . . t'this? Conquerors turned beggars. It ain't an easy life, twelve do I know it, but there's so much more they could be doin' instead of sittin' here on their arses." A soft sigh left the woman's full lips as she shook her head slowly, conflicted opinions flitting across her features in brief. "I understand t'plight, I understand t'circumstances and twelve know I'd give every coin I had iffen I thought it could do some good here. There are good people here who dun deserve this lifestyle and who continue t'fight as they can, but. . ."

The men and women of Ala Mhigo had truly suffered much, that much was undeniable. In such, they had crumbled; tyranny, invasion, migration, death, rejection, oppression. It had all come to a head at the refugee camp turned home for Highlander old and young.

"Yer cause is a good one, Nahli, an' I support it wholeheartedly. . . but nae one can help those who dunnae choose t'help themselves. Dun mean we dunnae try though. Iffen a moment of solace, a moment of freedom and lifted weight is all that can be provided, then so be it. Let's inject life into these veins."