Hydaelyn Role-Players
Not-so Dark, Knights. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Not-so Dark, Knights. (/showthread.php?tid=14377)

Not-so Dark, Knights. - DanteScaeva - 11-24-2015

Show Content

RE: Not-so Dark, Knights. - Virella - 11-24-2015

(11-24-2015, 06:04 AM)Vinland Wrote:
Show Content
Ehhh. Did you finish the 3.0 MSQ?

It will explain. Let us put it that way.

Anyhow, if you wanna figure out why.

Show Content

RE: Not-so Dark, Knights. - DanteScaeva - 11-24-2015

Nope as I said not long finished The Vault for the first time and I saw it and was like that shit would be pretty cool but by the sounds of it I'll find out what it is soon enough.
It just seems it'd be a good character concept, but I'm stupidly tired which may have to do something with me being more amused than I should.

RE: Not-so Dark, Knights. - Oli! - 11-24-2015

Show Content

RE: Not-so Dark, Knights. - mongi291 - 11-24-2015

Nah, this is just because of the Armory System. He's not a Dark Knight, he just happens to use a two-handed sword; we probably didn't fight him directly because that would have required SE to create some animations just for him, because all of DRK animations involve darkness.

RE: Not-so Dark, Knights. - Warren Castille - 11-24-2015

The Dark Knight lore is that they're a faction of vigilantes specifically targeting those in power who abuse loopholes and authority to get away with crime. He might be swinging a greatsword, but the man in question is most certainly not a Dark Knight.

RE: Not-so Dark, Knights. - S'imba - 11-24-2015

From what I got from the drk quests is that like a lot of history is fabricated. We know the first Dark Knight started off by killing a priest in defense of the innocent. So in my mind the holy see would demonize any of the followers of this order. Labeling them followers of the powers of darkness. Kind of what happened with the inquisition and templars. Over time the dark knights began to accept these for whatever reason. Even the tiny beings kind of say that the darkness you wield is born of the light when your trying to learn the true secrets of the powers of the abyss. A lot of this is personal opinion I've formed from the story so take it with a grain of salt.

RE: Not-so Dark, Knights. - -no longer matters- - 11-24-2015

Finish your class quests, Dark Knights aren't so dark...

Show Content

RE: Not-so Dark, Knights. - Sounsyy - 11-24-2015

Additional lore on Ser Zephirin was given in a Dengeki Online Interview, which mentions his great sword:

Quote:Ser Zephirin the Valorous (lit. “of the righteous heart”)
Lord Commander of the Heavens’ Ward; originally Commander of the Temple Knights. To compensate for his naturally slender frame, he wields a massive sword — a weapon not usually favored in Ishgard because of the reputation of the dark knights, but Zephirin is the sort of man who ignores the rabble to do what he believes is most just. Despite being a candidate for Lord Commander of the Temple Knights, he unexpectedly lost his seat to Aymeric… but Ser Vellguine saw potential in Zephirin’s honesty, skill, and cautiousness, and requested that he become the leader of the Heavens’ Ward.

RE: Not-so Dark, Knights. - Smagon - 11-24-2015

I am of the opinion that he is just a dude with a greatsword. A weapon is just a tool. You could just as easily be a warrior who uses a greatsword or a dark knight who uses an axe as far as lore and roleplay goes. Powers being tied to a weapon is strictly a gameplay mechanic, at least as far as the martial classes are concerned.

RE: Not-so Dark, Knights. - DanteScaeva - 11-24-2015

I know, I know, it was just something that sprung to mind early hours of the morning where I hadn't slept and was like, WOW.
But I appreciate all the answers and comments its nice to get replies and people showing interest in the topic as well so thank you all <:

RE: Not-so Dark, Knights. - Momo - 11-30-2015

Along with the examples we have of Dark Knights and with what Sounsyy just gave us, in reality, he became more of a Dark Knight than he intended.  While not part of the Dark Knight faction as stated, he wields a great sword, and the Heaven's Ward eventually saw themselves as Judge, Jury, and Executioner, or perhaps always saw themselves this way, and simply did this affiliated with a governing body so as to make them unquestionable.

I wonder...had he been given the job Lord Commander of the Temple Knights...might he have chosen a different path towards light as Aymeric did?  Admittedly I think now, for the most part because Aymeric is a virtuous man, and hard worker, and the job given was given on merit which we see time and again he deserved, but the atmosphere among the Heaven's Ward...that could likely turn anyone bad, intentionally or not.