Hydaelyn Role-Players
Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger (And Other Prompts) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger (And Other Prompts) (/showthread.php?tid=14457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger (And Other Prompts) - Verad - 12-01-2015

As the title describes. Think of them, and list them here. Keep them in mind when you're not sure how to walk up to somebody.

Verad's, for reference:

1. He is trying to sell and/or buy something to/from somebody (I include these together so as not to be a cheater and make them two entries).

2. Something has gone terribly wrong with an experimental new product and he's checking strangers to make sure they haven't accidentally consumed or interacted with it.

3. He is performing an extremely low-value, low-risk leve for the sake of maintaining his Free Company's legal standing. "Excuse me, sir and/or madam, but have you seen this missing corpulent cat?"

4. Verad has been strongarmed by a member of the Highbridge Blades division into serving legal papers so she does not have to make the trip into Ul'dah, and is about to serve the wrong person.

5. He is scouting potential Bronco Grease models to warn them from getting into the business before Spahro Llorn gets to them first.

Some of these are obviously used much more than others, but all are viable. What are your five ways?

RE: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger - Eses Fafa - 12-01-2015

1: She's drunk or on some mixture of narcotics and caffeine.

2: She overheard a stranger saying or doing something infuriating to the point of forcing a response.

3: That stranger is in possession of fragrant food.

4: She was challenged on a personal level to communicate with a stranger.

5: She ponders her current degree of cynicism and becomes haunted by how jaded she's become and starts acting nice for a brief period of time.

RE: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-01-2015

Hmm. Why would Franz knowingly approach strangers? And Eorzean ones at that?

1. Perhaps they aren't Eorzean. Maybe they're noticeably Garlean. And he's off to try [and fail] again to find a way back into Garlemald.

2. This stranger has booze. Lots of it. Surely the person wouldn't mind if he helped out with finishing it all.

3. "You happen to be the arse on this wanted poster?"

4. "I heard you couldn't post a leve because you couldn't pay the fees. I may not be an adventurer, but mercenaries can't complain. Often."

5. I saw that look you gave me. You want a quick journey to the Seventh Hell?"

RE: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger - Capheira - 12-01-2015

Thankfully, Odette is a very social creature. Five (of many) reasons in no particular order....!

1). Heeeey good-lookin'. Whaaatcha got cookin'?
"Solemn expression dunnae suit a face like that. You waitin' on someone, or merely taking the time to enjoy the view? I know I am."

2). I'm buying drinks! Round on me! You're buying drinks! My new best friend!
"I'd be barmy to refuse such an offer. That drink come with a tale? Lead on!"

3). Your point of view intrigues me. Prepare the bantered discussion!
"Oho, is that right? Well now, it don't exactly fit when you take causality into effect."

4). I am amused by your antics, please continue while I shamelessly encourage you.
"You hear that? Ten pieces of coin down to say he doesn't do it. C'mon [name], me mother's mother could give it a better crack than that!"

5). You look a little lost/in need of aid. Perhaps I can be of assistance?
"Easy now, easy. You look like you could use a hand. Deep breath, tell me what's on yer mind."

RE: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger - Roen - 12-01-2015

1) Someone looks to be in dire need of help. It has to be a dire need, Roen is currently trying to break her old habit of rushing in to help people. But if she comes across someone who seems to be in imminent danger, or unfairly and unjustly matched against someone bigger, stronger, and badder, well... likely she will be compelled to step in to do something. A part of her can't help it.

2) She was ordered to do so by her superior. She is currently working under an Ishgardian knight who has accepted some sellswords into their ranks, so as long as she is committed to that duty, she will follow the orders she is given.

3) A child in need of well, anything. Another old habit she can't let go of. She still has a soft spot for children. She will come to their aid. No matter what.

4) Chocobos. Roen has a soft spot for these feathered mounts. She enjoys riding and will take note of fine birds and riders who seem pretty skilled.

5) If she thinks the stranger knows someone that she knows. Roen has been away from people she knew and called friends for awhile now. And she has been hesitant to seek them out. But she still is curious about their well-being and may eavesdrop or even outright ask if she thinks a stranger knows someone she knows.

RE: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger - C'laihn - 12-01-2015

Nothing like looking antisocial and mean, but actually being outgoing and awkward! \o/ C'laihn is fun to invent ways to go up to people.

1.) Oh man that smells so good. It looks good too. "Uh... hey... " Gimme that food. I want it. I'm so hungry. I bet it tastes amazing. "I was just wondering... where'd you get that? It looks delicious." I hope it's not expensive, Vin used the rent money again. Maybe they'll give me some for free...

2.) I wonder if this little trinket I found is worth any- "Oh, s-sorry! I didn't mean to bump into you! Are you alright? Are you sure? Are you sure you're sure!?" They don't look hurt, but I feel really bad. I might have ruined their day. OhgodswhatifIruinedtheirday. "L-let me help you carry that! Where're you going?"

3.) "Are you waiting for someone?" They look sort of lonely and alone. I wonder why they're not talking to anyone... "No? Oh. Uh, well want some company? I'm not waiting for anyone either. Er... I mean, if you -want- company... er not that you do but just if... if you do..." I wish my brother hadn't left me here... again.

4.) I wonder what's in that crate they're carrying. "..." I really want to know what's in it. It's a weird size. Shape maybe. Maybe it's a little too much like a crate, but it's really something else... I wonder if- "Hey! Ah, excuse me but... uh... what'sinthecrate?"

5.) "Did someone say they needed a hunter? A thing?" ... They're looking at me funny. What? I have good hearing! Please don't think I'm rude. Pleasedon'tthinkI'mrude. "I...er... I'm good at... hunting... and getting... things if... if you're hiring..."

RE: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger - Caspar - 12-01-2015

1. The person in question is offering food, especially if it's free. Virara is wary, but she often cannot withstand the power of her stomach. This would be an enormous weakness, but luckily she was surreptitiously fed toxins from an early age in her meals, and so she has some resistance to commonly used poisons.
2. The person seems strong, and worthy of a match or sparring. She has been properly educated that simply approaching others and challenging them is not always socially acceptable, however.
3. Virara suspects they know something about a certain Doman assassin and her peers.
4. The individual has "the stench of blood." It's a vage, undefined sense of wrongness brought about by demeanor and body language that others accustomed to killing are familiar with.
5. Virara is curious. She has trained herself through reading and rigorous study to understand Eorzean cultures, but in the end there are still many behaviors that perplex her. She will brusquely question them.

RE: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger - Sig - 12-01-2015

This is a fun thread.  Sigurd is stupidly extroverted.

1. Upon Sigurd spotting a blonde woman or effeminate blonde male, "...Gods, I do not believe I've ever met your acquaintance before, allow me to introduce myself.  Sund-ste-i-gen.  Sigurd.  Sig.  A pleasure." 

2. Upon spotting some haggard soul, "You, ser, appear to be in dire need of a smoke.  Oh?  I don't mind sharing my pipe one bit.  I advise taking a single sharp toke, holding the smoke in deep, counting to ten, and then exhaling like an angry dragon.  The rush to the head will make your day." 

3. Everyone is a potential customer, "...Do you know what you need, my good lady?  A novel new means of conveying goods.  Close your eyes and picture this - it's a dreary weekday at home, but suddenly a knock sounds, prompting you to answer the door.  You find a case of fine wine shipped to you directly.  Now, I know you're eyes are closed, but you're not dreaming - this is all within your fingertips: simply fill out this purchase form, and I'll take care of the rest."

4. Is that a Great Sword or are you happy to see me?  "...You know, I've never quite understood the obsession with carrying a lance and wearing full plate in a tavern of all places, unless you came 'directly from the office.'  A bit over-dressed, I say."

5. I don't have a drinking problem.  "...Be a dove and fetch that broad standing against the pillar a glass of wine, would you fine waitress?  Wait.  No.  A decanter for the entire table.  I'll wave her over myself." 

RE: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger - Valde - 12-01-2015

1. You look useful, and having you within my circle will behoove me.

2. You look pretty, and can likely be useful because of it.

3. Keeping an eye on you will help me down the road.

4. You have food. I am hungry. No, I'm a highlander not a dog.

5. Sheer unmitigated boredom and an interesting face. Even old men need to poke people for entertainment on occasion.

RE: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger - Aaron - 12-02-2015

1. If he needed a favor, he's very indiscriminate with who he asks to do something.

2. If he's hurt or injured.

3. If he's bored and just feels talking would kill time.

4. If he gets dared.

5. If he is trying to avoid hanging with someone he unfortunately knows.

RE: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger - ChewableMorphine - 12-02-2015

1. Flynt thinks you look like a sucker. Always a man of the dice, should Flynt see a somewhat slow-looking or otherwise exploitable person, it's almost instantaneous that he makes a wager.

2. Flynt is lost. Flynt isn't smart. He has been known to get lost in the most wild of locales, babbling incoherently and trying to rationalize his misplacement. He'd eventually surrender to his common sense and ask for directions.

3. Flynt is waiting. Being patient is something Flynt is bad at, and will often seek some form of distraction to keep his mind off of the wait, this often means making conversation with the nearest person.

4. Advertising. Flynt's a showman, likes to keep appearances, so it's not uncommon he'll shout out to some group of people about the latest front in the Sky Piracy trend, the Rising Skies Skyworks and Inn. Though eventually Flynt'll wind down and just bring it up in passive conversation when one-on-one.

5. Flynt finds you attractive. There really doesn't need much of an explanation here. Of course he'll try to be suave on anybody who's easy on the eyes.

RE: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger - Nebbs - 12-02-2015

Things I have used that led to RP

My Carbuncle digs up your garden and I knock on your door to apologise.

Owch you landed on my toe when you teleported in.

Run up to someone in Ul"dah street. Help, hide me .. 

While walking along and seeing someone ask if this is the way to the wizards tower, or witches house, or some other odd place.

Just sitting next to a fishing fellow and ask how things are.

Often it is a quick exchange, but occasionally more RP happens.

RE: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger - Melodia - 12-02-2015

1. Sees stranger....

2. Clams up and runs.

Blush

RE: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger - No Longer Exists - 12-02-2015

Doc Oak

1. Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

2. You're in my way, please move.

.....Doc's not the most open of people so I fail at finding 5 reasons.

Whistler

1. PRETTY! (This encompasses women AND objects of value)

2. Steve Irwin Syndrome. Example: He looks scary and tough, I'mma go poke him.

3. I'M BORED. Entertain me!

4. To steal something from said person.

5. The devil made me do it. Example: Boss says I gotta get <insert thing here>, know where I can find one?

RE: Five Reasons Your Character Would Approach a Stranger - Berrod Armstrong - 12-02-2015

1.) "...'ey, darlin'. Come here often?"

2.) "You got a job that needs doin'?"

3.) "You see somethin' funny, hoss?"

4.) "Ey, we're needin' one more fer our party an' yer lookin' like a dependable one. How 'bout a spot o'work, huh?"

5.) "So I heard yer the bastard who's been makin' trouble fer my friends."