Hydaelyn Role-Players
What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? (/showthread.php?tid=14491)

Pages: 1 2 3

What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Leggerless - 12-04-2015

Howdy guys. It's poll time.

Pick an option or options above, post a reply below if you want to go into more detail, and let's find out the kind of RP that people like to see or do around here.

Figure by doing this, we get a public gauge of people's interests.

RE: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Sahja Elahka - 12-04-2015

Yep.  totally choosing most of the answers.  All that I selected are fun in their own rights, in different ways.  And being the NPC in them really lets you see that :3.

RE: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-04-2015

I like generally casual RP. Not necessarily slice-of-life all the time, but something that it's particularly heavy or involved and can be done without a strict timeline.

But I also like being a side-character to other people's heavier plots. It's nice to feel involved, but I don't think I'm at the level where I could ever really run a plot. Collaborating with someone on one, yes. Something long-term that overarches the character? I lack the scope for that.

RE: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Roe Dad - 12-04-2015

I really enjoy just about any kind. But the people I tend to hang out with done do most of these.

RE: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Edda - 12-04-2015

I'm the loser that likes everything. I'll take it all, really. All it takes to sustain my interest is complex character interactions. Things get boring if everyone gets along perfectly, all the time. To me, emotional drain at the end of a long session is my 100% satisfied signifier - not that it's required, I certainly wouldn't expect it after some light comedic RP, but damn do I love it.

Long (LOOOONG) plots, short plots, no plots - I don't care so long as conflict, character development, and fun conversation make an appearance at some point. I'm still relatively new to RP, so I have yet to try everything, but I want to!

RE: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Cato - 12-04-2015

I voted for 'other'. I mean, whilst it's technically true that I have preferences in regards to the sort of themes that I like to explore I find it most interesting when I'm in a position where I can indulge in a little bit of everything. 

As much as I like tragedy and heavy plots it can become very draining if that's the only role-play I end up engaging in. In many ways I think that's largely why I felt obligated to take a break from role-playing Graeham.

Adding some lighthearted scenes into the mix, however, helps alleviate much of the burden.

RE: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Steel Wolf - 12-04-2015

Comedic, romantic, plot. I've had enough SOL RP to last me a few lifetimes, and I tend to gravitate towards the more compact story arc stuff. Sometimes you don't need to slay a dragon across planes. Sometimes you just have to rush in and save a chocobro.

To be fair, though, RP is accepted by me in any form it comes. I'm generally flexible. I just wanted to highlight my own prederences here.

RE: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Virella - 12-04-2015

I like variation. But. Give me heartwrenching drama & conflict. That is my main thing. Not that it is required, but I love it to bits. People dying, lovers going for each other's throats (hi Domri and Vi), friendships shattered, misunderstandings ect. Hells, I love me some good conflict. So I guess dramatic roleplay? I don't know, I like to keep things interesting between characters by giving them some sort of conflict to deal with, even if it is just a minor thing. Eh, I do not know how to word it properly!

Not that this is required for my roleplay. I love all sorts of things!

RE: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Valence - 12-05-2015

I am not sure what you mean by NPC RP..?

RE: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Nebbs - 12-05-2015

I love improvisation with others that add to the overall RP. This way there is no preconception of what will happen, and each person is both doing their own RP but also providing support and openings to the others. We are all players and DMs, and trust in the others is needed.

And then I will always look to bring into this..
  • Action & Adventure
  • Comedy
  • Introspection
Also RPing with others that make me think and laugh, if my brain is engaged/challenged I will be back for more.

I will often run adventures of action or investigation, but the RP happens between the plot and there is no prescribed outcome or A to B to C.

RE: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Coatleque - 12-05-2015

(12-04-2015, 09:46 PM)Virella Wrote: People dying, lovers going for each other's throats [...]

And sometimes, both at the same time!

RE: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Roen - 12-05-2015

My choice would be a story-driven RP. I prefer there to be some over arcing theme/story that is present to the ongoing RP.

It doesn't have to drive every scene mind you, I don't mind occasional slice of life RP if it leads to character development, making connections, or just minute but enjoyable scenes. And to have a good story, you need a little bit of everything! A spoonful of comedy, a sprinkle of romance, a dash of adventure with some drama stirred in! And sometimes to run a scene or a conflict, you may need a DM to drive, or some NPCs to fill in to increase the immersion.

My jam? Scenes that move me, bring me to tears, twist my gut, or make me think on it for days. But you can't have those all the time. The build to some moments like those are made up of everything else. I also treasure little gems that are discovered in a scene, where you pause and go "well, what do you know!" because you just took part in someone else's character growth or there was a connection made. I love those too.

So I guess it is "whatever makes a good story" for me.

RE: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Thunderbolt300 - 12-05-2015

I'll do and get involved with just about everything, though I have a special place in my heart for subversive lawful evil villains, and the conflict RP they create. They are villains who are "justified" to act the way they do, that are perfectly relate-able, even personable and friendly people, but ultimately follow a path of darkness with an ideology that the ends justify the means. It's a twisted code of ethics that can lead to some moral dilemmas for other characters, and it's interesting to see how they respond and deal with someone like that.

RE: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Nero - 12-05-2015

I suppose "plot RP" would best describe what I typically involve myself in, but it's also not necessarily what I am most interested. In a sense, the "type" of RP is totally arbitrary to me because any "type" of RP works so long as it's set up as a platform for character progression. Slice of life, epic plots, DnD-style...all of those are fun to me as long as the characters within them display the potential for change or development, OR act as foils for others to change and compare to. I am most having fun with RP not when certain events or types of events happen, but when those events spur my or others' characters to progress in whatever arc they might have.

Obviously, not every character has to nor should they force character progression for its own sake. If the character(s) are in a pretty decent spot, then the focus can switch to something else like the plot or the slice-of-life events or whatever, and forcing progression that doesn't fit or is hamfisted or comes from nowhere can be just as if not more awkward than having a perpetually static character who never seems to be fazed or affected by anything in the long-term.

But plot RP is what I engage in the most because having a series of external events that force characters to react is the easiest way to induce progression.

RE: What kind of RP do you enjoy most? - Aaron - 12-05-2015

Comedy.