Hydaelyn Role-Players
Howdy, fresh meat here ;) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Howdy, fresh meat here ;) (/showthread.php?tid=14534)

Pages: 1 2 3

Howdy, fresh meat here ;) - Kawa - 12-08-2015

Hey peeps,

last weekend i finally decided to give FFXIV a try and guess what, i really like it!
I quickly found my way to this page and wanted to briefly introduce myself aswell as ask a short question Smile So... here goes!

--MMORPG background:

I've played multiple years of WoW (6 years or so?) but eventually got bored of it. I played every expansion for a little while to see if i can reignite the spark but at this time it seems to be gone... and i doubt that it will come back.

I played some GW1 aswell, but only for a short while. Wink

That already sums up my MMORPG expirience, although i played tons and tons of other games. (LoL, Halo, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fall Out... the list goes on).

--RP experience

I used to do a little RP in WoW once i got bored with progress raiding. I was annoyed by the fact that the game shifted more and more to simply rushing to the max level and then farming some bosses to get gear, to then farm the same bosses at a higher difficulty. The spirit of the early days had vanished, guilds no longer were places for friends to have a great time, they became simple meet up groups to raid.
I remembered how much time it took me to level the first time i played classic, how i was amazed by every new area i discovered, how i played to meet people and expirience stories.

That was when i got into RP. I switched servers and started playing a little Night Elf. It was great fun and i had some casual RP, but i never got into a "serious" RP guild... mostly because the entire WoW atmosphere didnt feel right to me anymore.

I must say, i really like the setting of FFXIV and felt right at home in the first few hours of play, so i decided that id love to give serious rping another go! Smile

--Character ideas/info

I don't really have a character fleshed out yet as i am still busy getting into the lore and soaking up all availabe information like a sponge Big Grin
It is propably going to be a Gladiator, Midlander Hyur, thats about the only thing i know so far. I'll happily provide more information once i am content with a decent back story Smile

--How did you learn about the coalition?

After my first few hours of play i quickly realized how much id love to RP in the FF setting and started to google if there was any RP on any server... and well, i ended up here rather quickly!

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?

I'd say medium to heavy. I don't have to be IC all the time though, in the end i am just looking to have some great fun while meeting new people Wink. Also i am really open minded and not picky when it comes to RP (considering im still quite a newb myself).

--Anything from real life you'€™re comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)

Im 21 years old and currently study Audiodesign in Berlin. Whats Audiodesign? Well, basically everything sound related, from cinematic scores to footstep recording Big Grin
In my free time i read a lot, i recently started watching Animes and i love sports, mostly Snow-/Wakeboarding.
Im a big racing fan aswell, but as the real life racing is too expensive for me, i had to settle with a simulator and online racing Wink

Hmm... that got a little longer than i expected, sorry for the wall of text! Blush

If anyone read that far, thanks for taking your time!

Id also have one short question before i wrap this up: I started playing on Midgardsormr as character creation on Balmung was always restricted when i checked. Now i was wondering if i should try and wait for a server maintainance or try it at odd hours... otherwise i guess i'd be willing to do a character transfer.

Now i was left wondering how strict the naming requirements of characters are. I obviously cant test it out before transfering and i wouldnt want to spend more money on a name change once im on the server. So far my name is first name is "Kawa", a name ive used for a long time and therefor am a little reluctant to let go. The second name would be something japanese influenced.

Does that name combination make any sence? I've read that the Hyur names should be somewhat Anglo Saxon or similar... is this very important? Would a japanese influenced name break the immersion for other players?

Ok, now i really need to wrap this up before this gets the length of a fantasy novel.

Cheers and thanks for reading, hope to meet a lot of friendly people and character in FFXIV!

Kawa

RE: Howdy, fresh meat here ;) - S'imba - 12-08-2015

Hiya if you're ever looking for people hit me up I love meeting new people.

RE: Howdy, fresh meat here ;) - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-08-2015

Hi! Welcome to the RPC!

Balmung is almost always locked, unfortunately. ...lots of dicussions on it. Your best chances are getting in for free are usually tied to the occasional server crash or trying to get into the server the moment maintenance ends. (And it ends early OFTEN!) Otherwise, there are some growing communities on other servers and there's also server transfers. If you're paying monthly subscription, you can transfer up to 8 characters from one server to another under the same server transfer fee. ...so if you like alts or want placeholders, I'd recommend doing a mass-transfer instead of a single character. ...better use of money.

There are a few old linkshells that were based on Midgardsomr, although I can't vouch for how active they are, if they still exist. (They were all pulled from our archived Linkshells section)

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=13425
Highwind Skybandits

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=3116
Coalition OOC [OOC Hub]

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=6613
An Unshakable Faith

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=5582
Society for Eorzean Archaeology

Regarding Gladiators, these here's a little bit to go on to help get you started.

-Gladiator Lore
-Gladiator Roleplayer Directory
-Race Lore (if you need it!)

Regarding your character's name, you might be interested in Doman lore. They are Edo-period Japanese-themed, and you should be able to get away with a Japanese-sounding name. ...I'll have to dig for a link at a later time if you're not able to find any threads. (there should be many). I do know a handful of people that have in-character names different from their in-game nameplate. Don't feel like you are required to have them be the same, although many people tend to do so.

RE: Howdy, fresh meat here ;) - Roe Dad - 12-08-2015

Welcome

RE: Howdy, fresh meat here ;) - JudicialHunter - 12-08-2015

Welcome to the RPC! *confetti*

If you ever are looking for someone to RP with, come say hi! I'd love to RP with you whenever ^^

RE: Howdy, fresh meat here ;) - Faye - 12-08-2015

Hello there, welcome to the RPC! From the sounds of it, I take it your character is a Hyur? Doma is pretty much the equivalent of Japan in FFXIV, and there are in fact Midlanders from Doma, who use old-fashioned Japanese names (names from/based on modern anime and whatnot may not exactly fit the bill, but then again, most people won't know the difference). It would be very easy to write off your character's name as the character being from Doma, or having parents from Doma. Otherwise, your character's in game name could always be a nickname or an adopted name while they have a different birth name that's more compliant with the lore.

RE: Howdy, fresh meat here ;) - Kawa - 12-09-2015

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the help!

By now i created a couple of characters on Siren, waiting for the 72 hours to pass so i can transfer them over to Balmung Smile

Oh and i've got another short question: Does it sound reasonable that the parents of my character moved from Doma and he therefor has a rather uncommon, asian-influenced name?

Looking forward to join all of you on Balmung!

RE: Howdy, fresh meat here ;) - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-09-2015

(12-09-2015, 10:44 AM)Kawa Wrote: Thanks for the warm welcome and all the help!

By now i created a couple of characters on Siren, waiting for the 72 hours to pass so i can transfer them over to Balmung Smile

Oh and i've got another short question: Does it sound reasonable that the parents of my character moved from Doma and he therefor has a rather uncommon, asian-influenced name?

Looking forward to join all of you on Balmung!

Yes! ...Although history should be taken into consideration. Doma is (more like was at this point) under Garlean imperial rule. For the first few years the game was out (1.0 -> 2.X until Doman refugees showed up), things were rather peaceful. Domans kept living their lives and had a degree of freedom. We saw them visit for the Heavensturn (New Year) events.

As you progress through the 2.X storyline (post first credits roll), you'll get more information on Doma. I'd also recommend going through the Ninja quests for lore (whether reading them or playing through if you like the job!)

It's highly likely that your character would have moved from Doma to Eorzea, although that is still considered "fairly recent" at this time.

RE: Howdy, fresh meat here ;) - Swashbuckler - 12-09-2015

Welcome to the RPC fray, and yay for the fresh blood!

If you finally get yourself into Balmung and want some RP, hit me up! Especially so if you have a Doman-esque character!

RE: Howdy, fresh meat here ;) - MissMizzy - 12-09-2015

Hey welcome! I just recently moved to Balmung (I got in after a server crash a couple days ago) and the RP is AMAZING! Def worth it Smile

RE: Howdy, fresh meat here ;) - Accendie - 12-09-2015

*waves*

Welcome fellow WoW Convert! 

I can honestly say the server transfer fee was totally worth it. Though looking back I almost wish I had made a few more alts to go with my main but oh well!

Hopefully we'll see you around! If you decide you want to play a ninja feel free to poke me or you might see me around the 'guild hall'. 

Show Content

Look forward to seeing you around!

Hihi, once again thanks for the warm welcome Smile

Couldnt you do me a favor and all log in at the same time so the server crashes? Its properly difficult to wait 3 more days till i am allowed to transfer Big Grin

(12-09-2015, 05:19 PM)Kawa Wrote: Hihi, once again thanks for the warm welcome Smile

Couldnt you do me a favor and all log in at the same time so the server crashes? Its properly difficult to wait 3 more days till i am allowed to transfer Big Grin

Don't sweat it. Use this time to grind up your MSQ. Also, higher level = more gear to wear for RPz! I swear I'm going to have to level up a bard just for the cool outfits they get!

(12-09-2015, 05:30 PM)Nefzen Wrote:
(12-09-2015, 05:19 PM)Kawa Wrote: Hihi, once again thanks for the warm welcome Smile

Don't sweat it. Use this time to grind up your MSQ. Also, higher level = more gear to wear for RPz! I swear I'm going to have to level up a bard just for the cool outfits they get!

To be honest i wanted to wait until my characters are on the right server before starting my "adventure" Wink

(12-09-2015, 05:36 PM)Kawa Wrote:
(12-09-2015, 05:30 PM)Nefzen Wrote:

To be honest i wanted to wait until my characters are on the right server before starting my "adventure" Wink

If that's what you want to do then go for it!

There isn't much to it though. Most of the RP I've found has been in the residential areas (some have been in the major cities but not a whole lot) which you have to be lvl... um.. 15? to unlock. 30ish is when you get to go to the other major cities.

ICly I had to get out of the major starting city because do to class restrictions I had to start in Uldah, but ICly I was in Limsa, bummer. 

Also, there is another thing. If you like the Japanese stuff at all you'll want to hit lvl 30 before the end of the month to get the Maiden's Rhapsody even rewards. A set of red ninja/samurai inspired glamour armor.  When I made Nef I had like two-three days to get to 30 to finish the Halloween even and get my broom mount before it was over. Unlike WoW it doesn't seem like the previous year's rewards are brought back for the holiday events. Those items seem to be eventually released on the Mogstation about the time the following year's event is about to start. Not sure yet but from what others have told me that's how it seems to work here. Something to keep in mind.

In any case your wait will be over soon!