Hydaelyn Role-Players
X|V:CS Compatible RP Combat System for FF:X|V - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: X|V:CS Compatible RP Combat System for FF:X|V (/showthread.php?tid=15221)

Pages: 1 2 3

X|V:CS Compatible RP Combat System for FF:X|V - Ravean Blutsinger - 02-10-2016

Hey everyone! Combat System Creator here!

I've been neglecting posting this in the forum (halfway between lazy and busy), but here is a link to the CS that I created for to help make RP combat more interesting. It's be compared to a table top Final Fantasy Tactics, and I take that as a compliment. I've gotten more than a few messages in game about this, saying I should post it, so, here I am. Look at me post!

I am more than willing for others to use it and all that junk. I spent a good amount of time on this and had many testers help me with balance and flow.

Goal was to make it play almost like a tabletop FF:Tactics with how commands work and how you build a character. I did my best to keep it both very open (so that all types of characters can be accurately represented in this system) and very fitting to lore (So it does not stop feeling like FFXIV while using it). There is not much rolling, and if there is a need for rolling, it is designed to use the /random already implemented in game. I did not want there to be even more web pages/outside tools open to use it in the middle of an RP event.

Let me know what you guys think! Feedback is appreciated, and I would love to see this grow, even potentially becoming a global tool. If anyone needs help with it or clarifications let me know as well. I'm leaving it at 0.95 until I get confirmation from enough people that it is good enough to call a full version. I will more than likely do balance updates and changes upon comments and requests so do not be surprise if you see that change.

Also I went with the classic/Japanese naming conventions for most spells and abilities cause I like them...that's really it. They can always be renamed to roman numerals if needed, just thought Firaga looks better than Fire III.

Happy RPing!

EDIT: Here is an example of monsters (For bosses my suggestion is usually go party size times 30-50 for HP): Example Bestiary

EDIT2: After much work, we finally hit v1.0!

EDIT3: I've created an in game linkshell for questions and help using the system, feel free to message me in game for an invite!

EDIT4: Massive update! New versions and everything is now recorded on the excel sheet instead of making posts. Still looking for feedback!

RE: X|V:CS Complimentary RP Combat System for FF:X|V - Oyuu - 02-10-2016

Mad props to Rav for making this thing. It's been really awesome roleplaying with this system, as a general PC and as a event creator. The boss fights and your own character's combat details can be made to be unique to match their capabilities - no more dumbing down your character when you roll a 1.

If you want to see it in action, it might be possible to attend one of our weekly events and watch, maybe even participate. 

-hugs Rav- He slaved away over this thing and you can tell, it's a fantastic tool! Thanks Rav!!

RE: X|V:CS Compatible RP Combat System for FF:X|V - Valence - 02-11-2016

That looks really deep and a lot of work seems to have gone into it, respect for it.

Although looking at it right now just seems outright confusing considering the amount of information i'll be extremely interested to get a better view of it in situation! Especially since i'm myself using my own little (insignificant) system for FC events so i'm always interested to see what kind of nice things work elsewhere.

RE: X|V:CS Compatible RP Combat System for FF:X|V - Martiallais - 02-11-2016

Whew yeah, I cannot imagine how much work went into putting all this together. I really, really like the round/character status page. I can imagine that makes the DM's job a bit simpler considering the number of possible status effects and things that could be thrown around. I haven't gone in to try and create a test character yet but it does look like there's a LOT of options on how to build them.

Out of curiosity, how many players do you usually run the events using?

RE: X|V:CS Compatible RP Combat System for FF:X|V - Oyuu - 02-11-2016

(02-11-2016, 11:09 AM)Martiallais Wrote: Whew yeah, I cannot imagine how much work went into putting all this together. I really, really like the round/character status page. I can imagine that makes the DM's job a bit simpler considering the number of possible status effects and things that could be thrown around. I haven't gone in to try and create a test character yet but it does look like there's a LOT of options on how to build them.

Out of curiosity, how many players do you usually run the events using?
Our average combat event usually has around seven or eight player characters and one to two enemy NPCs. We communicate through discord (mainly to remind people of who's turn it is or to ask things like 'IS THIS MELEE RANGE?') We also have a different google document for current combat to keep track of AP and HP etc.

RE: X|V:CS Compatible RP Combat System for FF:X|V - Verad - 02-11-2016

Have there been any combats reliant on larger numbers of enemies? Also, you mention providing examples of enemy stats. I'd definitely like to see some for the sake of seeing what is an appropriately balanced challenge for the number of players you're describing.

RE: X|V:CS Compatible RP Combat System for FF:X|V - Parth Makeo - 02-11-2016

ah if only I had known about someone making a system like this. I already got events planned for public with Grindstone modified rules in them as is Sad

RE: X|V:CS Compatible RP Combat System for FF:X|V - Ravean Blutsinger - 02-11-2016

Wow, I did not expect this!

I'll post up some enemy examples soon, but for now, here is some character sheets from our FC:

Roni's Character (as well as a boss he made for an event)
My Characters
Another example
Oyuu's Sheet
Summoner Example

The combat has been varied, we have had events where there has been but one or two large bosses, some mixed with boss and mobs, and others where it has been just mobs.

As soon as I get a longer moment I'll post up the monster stats!

EDIT: Here is an example of monsters (For bosses my suggestion is usually go party size times 30-50 for HP): Example Bestiary

(02-11-2016, 12:10 PM)Verad Wrote: Have there been any combats reliant on larger numbers of enemies? Also, you mention providing examples of enemy stats. I'd definitely like to see some for the sake of seeing what is an appropriately balanced challenge for the number of players you're describing.
I ran an event myself that involved waves of enemies, spawning a certain number and different types of enemies depending on the turn. (There were up to 20-25 enemy NPCs on the field at one point!) It was a bit hard to manage but with the help with another player I was able to keep track of the mobs and the participants pretty well and keep the combat relatively quick.

Also, I think most of our event organisers/boss creators base their enemy stats and their number of actions on how many healers there will be at the event (Combat events require sign up on our site so we can count numbers and adjust), so if there are two healers, the boss will do three actions to keep it a fair challenge etc. Some of us like being super mean and making our bosses capable of lots of devastating AoE. Big Grin We've yet to wipe a party though!

RE: X|V:CS Compatible RP Combat System for FF:X|V - Ravean Blutsinger - 02-11-2016

I started working on a bestiary of sorts, I'll post it as soon as I got a good amount of monsters written up in it.

I'll edit this post when it is done.

EDIT: Here is an example of monsters (For bosses my suggestion is usually go party size times 30-50 for HP): Example Bestiary

RE: X|V:CS Compatible RP Combat System for FF:X|V - Valence - 02-11-2016

Out of curiosity, how does the system deal with more or less advanced characters? How does it work with novices or grizzled characters?

(02-11-2016, 04:12 PM)Valence Wrote: Out of curiosity, how does the system deal with more or less advanced characters? How does it work with novices or grizzled characters?

I spent a lot of time on this, trying to figure out what would be best to handle this. Unfortunately there will always be drama and arguments on the subject of who is better than who and all that, so I thought the best way is to leave everything rather equal, no levels, nothing like that. If a person wants to play a weaker character, than can choose not to have abilities or actions in a list, choose not to use stances, choose to pick freelancer and not take all the commands/traits they are allowed. They can even nerf their stats lower if they would like.

Really this is up to the players, as I cannot control what people do, only suggest what would be best.

(02-11-2016, 04:22 PM)Ravusa Evomere Wrote:
(02-11-2016, 04:12 PM)Valence Wrote: Out of curiosity, how does the system deal with more or less advanced characters? How does it work with novices or grizzled characters?

I spent a lot of time on this, trying to figure out what would be best to handle this. Unfortunately there will always be drama and arguments on the subject of who is better than who and all that, so I thought the best way is to leave everything rather equal, no levels, nothing like that. If a person wants to play a weaker character, than can choose not to have abilities or actions in a list, choose not to use stances, choose to pick freelancer and not take all the commands/traits they are allowed. They can even nerf their stats lower if they would like.

Really this is up to the players, as I cannot control what people do, only suggest what would be best.
^ Ravusa made the system to be as flexible and diverse as possible, taking into consideration our FC's unique characters and their abilities and thinking outside the box in terms of that. In our FC we have summoners, warriors, scholars, astrologians, an engineer and a bartender to name a few. Whatever your character does, you'll most likely be able to put a combat sheet together no problem. 

I personally use it as a tool to reflect what my character is capable of, and when I make my combat sheet I think about what my character might learn in the future, so those abilites are available to me, but I don't RP them or use them in combat until I've reached that point in the storyline.

RE: X|V:CS Compatible RP Combat System for FF:X|V - Valence - 02-12-2016

Ah I see, so you make it more like the potential that your character can achieve, and then you play it as you want or downplay it when required in live? Sounds like a good approach either way.

Just on that... how much control do players have on what they eventually do, even when the system makes them do successes?

Sorry for the flurry of questions, just being curious!

RE: X|V:CS Compatible RP Combat System for FF:X|V - Oyuu - 02-12-2016

(02-12-2016, 05:26 AM)Valence Wrote: Ah I see, so you make it more like the potential that your character can achieve, and then you play it as you want or downplay it when required in live? Sounds like a good approach either way.

Just on that... how much control do players have on what they eventually do, even when the system makes them do successes?

Sorry for the flurry of questions, just being curious!

As long as you're making the combat sheet correctly, you can re-adjust and remake your character's combat sheet as you see fit. It is literally just a tool to help expand your combat RP. A lot of people don't find random rolls fun so we made this system to be really customisable and not dependent on roles. 

I dunno if that answers your question or not!