Hydaelyn Role-Players
Server Selection (Prelude) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Server Selection (Prelude) (/showthread.php?tid=153)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Siben - 07-18-2010

not gonna know what populations are until ~after launch~

*does the "holy shit stop freaking out about servers" dance all the way out of the room*

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - ArmachiA - 07-18-2010

I'M ROLLING ON SEPHIROTH
:twisted:

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Renaise - 07-18-2010

ArmachiA Wrote:I'M ROLLING ON SEPHIROTH
:twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIog2aIZoL0

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Satrina - 07-19-2010

Just another quote for anyone still thinking SE is going to backpedal from where FFXI is now with server selection to what FFXI was before.

Quote:Question 2 asks if players will be able to select the same server at launch

* Tanaka says FFXIV allows you to choose your server at character selection. You can tell your friend to pick the same server. He notes it is always better to choose a server that is not crowded.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kylin - 07-21-2010

I merged the last 5 pages or so of this thread with the Beta Initiative Assembly thread. This thread was getting way off topic and considering the importance of this, it only adds to confusion to those trying to stay caught up. I'll likely end up doing some more thread/post cleaning when I get another chance to. Please keep all beta related chat in the proper threads. Thanks.

Edit: Also deleted about another page worth of replies. No worries though. They were all mostly 1 sentence off-topic statements Tongue

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Hayden - 07-22-2010

Castiel Wrote:I merged the last 5 pages or so of this thread with the Beta Initiative Assembly thread. This thread was getting way off topic and considering the importance of this, it only adds to confusion to those trying to stay caught up. I'll likely end up doing some more thread/post cleaning when I get another chance to. Please keep all beta related chat in the proper threads. Thanks.

Edit: Also deleted about another page worth of replies. No worries though. They were all mostly 1 sentence off-topic statements Tongue

:approve:

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Zyanya - 07-22-2010

16 pages to catch up on ... I'm going cross-eyed! :study:

I have no experience of playing FFXI or what it was like trying to thrive on an international server. I think it would be an amazing opportunity, language barriers aside. I've played on American and EU servers mostly. Ages ago I played with some Swedish, Greek, and Israeli players on a DAoC European server. That was a really fun and enriching experience.

Most of the topics raised have been thoroughly discussed already. I don't have any real strong opinions but I do have a thought regarding the server choice.

My reason for finding the RPC is that I naturally sought a group of roleplayers to play and interact with. I can understand that some might be a bit upset if we don't all end up in the same place, but that shouldn't discourage anyone from participating in some cross-server plotlines (unless the mechanics of the game make it impossible to do so). In my old SWG days there were often times when good friends decided to move server for whatever reason and I would create a temporary or 'throwaway' character (either based on one already written for the story arc or a sort of NPC which could be fleshed out a bit more). My friends wouldn't even know it was me until long after the plotline was finished. It was like a really nice surprise for them with the added benefit that they were RPing without any prompting or preset expectations whatsoever.

We even had a bit of a network with other RPing communities on different servers... like an exchange of sorts. It mixed things up a bit, sometimes threw you into the thick of things, but it was always a lot of fun!

This might not be the ideal solution for everyone... since I'm sure that most would prefer to play a main and not some throwaway piece of fodder. I'm sure that whatever happens, we will always have this place to ground us and keep us communicating.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Iroh - 07-22-2010

Oh... Kefka all the WAY!

The better villain!

Listening Pleasure

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Goliam - 07-23-2010

Iroh Wrote:Oh... Kefka all the WAY!

The better villain!

Listening Pleasure

Kefka for evil overlord.

[size=xx-smal](VWUHAHAHAHAHAHA)[/size]

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kylin - 08-10-2010

Wow, pushed back to the 2nd page xD.

Still no news about non-English RP communities? It's not really a necessity either way. However, being on the same server as them would be convenient for our multi-lingual people.

As another update, I've contacted the major sites to ask if they'd recognize the RPC's chosen server as the "official" unofficial RP server. So far, only Zam has gotten back to me. I've talked to Pikko and I'm now waiting to hear back from Thayos and Elmer for a news story about the RPC.

Core and Eorzeapedia have yet to respond at all. I'm thinking I should maybe try different admins >.>.
Edit: Core -just- responded to me and will also help us in our server selection endeavor and promotion. So any random RP server selection polls that pop up there should be basically nuked.

Part 4 of this discussion (voting process) is being scratched I guess. There's nothing to really discuss on that front. I'll just say that I do plan to temporarily set forum registration to admin approval during the vote. I'll also be deleting all secondary/third forum accounts any of you currently have just to warn you.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Aveline - 08-10-2010

Moonshadow Darkly! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo!

okay yeah that's fine. :approve:

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Asyria - 08-12-2010

Still haven't found anything about a French-speaking RP community, no. The one lead I thought I might maybe have seems dead.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Faust - 08-13-2010

I really tried to get in touch with someone about the JP RP community, but just couldn't find anyone fluent enough with the JP community to figure it out. This was the best I got for my efforts, one of them linked me to the wiki article on Japanese pen and paper roleplaying, which suggests that at least in some ways they RP like westerners do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_role-playing_games

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Asyria - 08-13-2010

I stumbled upon this French Lalafell RPer today, he said he wasn't aware of a French RP community. I let him know about the RPC and he said he'd look around if there was a French RP thing going.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kylin - 08-19-2010

Okay, I think maybe we should talk about the voting process after all. The clock is ticking and I want to make sure this goes smoothly. Let's wrap up this discussion with the final major details.

We can do the voting in basically two ways. The first is simply via a poll in the Assembly Room. User registration will be set to admin approval only so we don't get floods of fake newcomers trying to rig the vote in their favor. In addition, alternative accounts will be deleted.

The second method is a more public vote. By that I mean, there would be no "poll." Instead, every RPC member who wishes to vote would have to actually post the name of their preferred server. Using this method would make it easier to keep track of any who are trying to sabotage the vote. The rule of the thread would be to simply post your preferred server name with NO commentary. The votes would be tallied after the voting officially concludes.

I also want to propose the following question: What if the beta server names don't change in final release? Will we just automatically stick with Jecht or should we have a revote? What if there's not enough time for an actual vote? SE has stated that open beta testers would be able to transfer their names (though not character data) to the final version. Thus, if all the RPers are on Jecht and they keep with the naming scheme, that's the server the names would be transferred to.

Finally, please go to the Headlines section and look over the sticky Eva posted. In that is a proposal I made quite some time ago regarding server selection procedures if we don't get server names before the game's launch. Please provide feedback on that now or forever hold your peace.