Hydaelyn Role-Players
Server Selection (Prelude) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Server Selection (Prelude) (/showthread.php?tid=153)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Tagyr - 08-20-2010

I'm a fan of Jecht too. Even have his tattoo symbol on my neckchain. Story brought me to tears, and only years later do I see he would've done the entire journey with Braska wearing something like he just stepped outta the pool. EVEN CLIMBING GAGAZET. That's macho.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kashemia - 08-20-2010

I don't mind Jecht. And I think we should be careful with chosing one of the most popular villains.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Zane - 08-20-2010

Garland ftw.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Asyria - 08-20-2010

Garland is my next favorite after Golbez, because he was the FIRST. Also, he was kinda cool and a classic princess-napper.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - ArmachiA - 08-21-2010

Our influence is growing muhahaha.

RPC will now be deciding the fate of three other linkshells that are not part of the Coalition.

Choose wisely ;o

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Noelle - 08-21-2010

ShadowyFigure Wrote:
Crystal Wrote:Just watch, everyone will avoid Sephiroth and it'll end up being an awesome server. None of the NM's will be camped and the prices will end up being more stable Tongue

So L or T? O.o

heheh if only.

All the good people will avoid Sephiroth leaving the rest of em... thousands upon thousands of Clouds and Sephiroths running around with amnesia or looking for their mommy...

The horror. THE HORROR!!!

I'd actually really like to see that,
An entire server of nothing but clouds and sephiroths would be awesome.

I always quite liked Jecht, i thought he was a pretty cool character.
X-2 should have been a jecht game, that i would have played.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Blade - 08-21-2010

Retro FF villains for the win.

Really just not a fan of Jecht, never really liked the FFX story. As cliche though, it may be I would even go with Sephy over Jecht... or even Shadowlord. But Garland or Kefka or Exdeath, yes please!

And while it may only be a server name, it is what we are going to be looking at every time we log in, and we have the choice and ability to decide whether we like that or not. I understand the people who are on Jecht and RPing might like to stay there because the RPC is sorta established somewhat, but at the same time I don't think that the people who were lucky enough to get into the beta should be the ones who have picked the server for those of us without the beta, which would be the majority. Basically I'm just saying I don't think we should default to Jecht for that reason, since server selection should be a group thing.

I think that there should be a poll up now for all the RPC to vote on up until the game's release, listing that current beta server names and polling all of us on which server we would like to join if they keep with the naming scheme, and this could stay up until a day before the CE's release in September. That way everyone has plenty of time to make their picks, with plenty of time, and the RPC could announce the winner that day before the game launches.

And of course, we could have a backup plan if they names are different, like others are suggesting, first name after L or whatnot. That's just less ideal though since we don't get to pick our servers, but it is what it is. But if the names are possibly going to just remain the same anyways why not just run a poll? Seems like an easy solution to me.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - ArmachiA - 08-21-2010

Whatever works, the vote is a good idea to quell the crowd for now and if it changes it would be easy to put up a new poll. But really, It's just a server to me

I do suggest avoiding Kefka though, it's the most popular server (crowded) and it's the SA Goons prefered server (If you do not know who they are, they are infamous for griefing entire servers and really hate roleplayers.)

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kylin - 08-21-2010

I'd be on board with holding a vote on the present server names. We'd just have to make sure everyone was aware that the results may be made void if the server names do indeed change (which they likely will). However, I think we should hold off on that until open beta just in case they release the real server names along with the next phase. If the server names don't change by open beta, then I think we should have an initial vote just to quell the worry.

However, I do disagree with having the poll run for longer than 5 days max. Server selection is a big deal, and I'm sure the Aion people here can testify to that based on their experience with the server voting. People WILL try to sabotage the vote and the longer the poll runs, the more at risk it is of being sabotaged.

Overall, I'd like to make the following proposal (which should cover just about any server selection problems). This is mostly based on the previous proposal, only with minor modifications made.

Quote:Listed in order of importance. Smaller number always trumps larger number (example: #1 is done BEFORE #2).

1. If Square Enix declares an official RP server, we go there. If no official RP server, move on to #2.
--If there is more than one official RP server, we select the second option on the list.
--If the order of the server names shift sequence, we select the RP server based on alphabetical listing instead, starting with C.

2. If server names remain the same as beta names, we go the chosen server based on the RPC pre-vote (to start during open beta.). If server names change, move on to #3.

3. If final server names are known before September 22nd, we hold a vote in the Assembly Room. Vote would last no longer than 3 days, possibly less depending on how much time there is before the game goes live. If server names are NOT known before September 22nd, move on to #4.

4. As a last resort and if none of the above can be done, select the 5th server on the server list.
--If the order of the server names shift sequence, select the server based on alphabetical listing instead, starting with the letter C.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Vareal - 08-21-2010

When is the open beta? Is it that 8 day early access thing with the collectors edition?

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kylin - 08-21-2010

Open beta starts in about 2 weeks according to SE's latest interview. They said "early September" and "ASAP."

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kashemia - 08-21-2010

vareal Wrote:When is the open beta? Is it that 8 day early access thing with the collectors edition?

No, that's an 8 days earlier acces, it has nothing to do with beta. The characters there won't be wiped, and noly people with CE can play.

Early beta starts sometime in September, probably around 2 weeks before the CE launch.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Vareal - 08-21-2010

Ahh, very good. I was getting a little concerned because I've beta tested every MMO i've played (well, almost every one) and I was bummed out I didn't get into the closed beta. I got the CE, finished paying it off yesterday, so I'll be there for the early access.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Asyria - 08-21-2010

I wish they had a Zeromus server.
[Image: 4zeromus-b2.gif]
Isn't he just adorable?

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Eva - 08-21-2010

'C' now? What happened to 'L'? This seems to be growing unnecessarily confusing.

Maybe a silly question, but in order to alleviate some confusion why not change this:

Quote:4. As a last resort and if none of the above can be done, select the 5th server on the server list.
--If the order of the server names shift sequence, select the server based on alphabetical listing instead, starting with the letter C.

to:

Quote:4. As a last resort and if none of the above can be done, select the server based on alphabetical listing starting with the letter C.

Otherwise you've effectively got a 4 & 5 there, even if it doesn't say it. Call it a hunch, but I still maintain that they're not going to stick with villain names for the servers, so this "NO JECHT IS BETTER THAN GOLBEZ" stuff is a waste... but whatever.

Honestly, the whole thing can be cut down to 2 easy steps.

1. If the server names are known well enough beforehand, conduct a short-term forum vote.
2. If not, select server alphabetically, based on whatever letter you want.