Hydaelyn Role-Players
Server Selection (Prelude) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Server Selection (Prelude) (/showthread.php?tid=153)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Aveline - 08-30-2010

Quote:Pardon my language (and rhetoric) but, WHO THE FUCK thought it would be a "good idea" to advocate stripping away the ability of the community as a whole to decide where it would go?

Mad props to you Castiel for shooting that tyrannical proposition down. :approve:

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

That's all I'm gonna say about your silly remarks.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Siben - 08-30-2010

Sorry, I'm sure I'd have been able to make a more coherent, correct reprisal to the issue had it been brought up in the public areas of the site, instead of done like some shady backroom deal in the Council-only section. Wink

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Tadir - 08-30-2010

I think it was more that what server we are on doesn't really make a difference, as long as we're on the same one. So whether it's picked or voted on, the result is the same. And no need for bad language.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Axl - 08-30-2010

Adults, squabbling like children over something so trivial, you all make me so proud.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kylin - 08-30-2010

Play nice people, lest you anger the forum god and incur smiting Tongue

I actually didn't shoot down the idea per say. It's just too late to really change up anything so suddenly. The idea to have one person be chosen to pick the server is actually probably the fastest method available. However, there's just not enough time to discuss that and decide on who would do it at this stage. Had it come up much earlier, it could have potentially been a route to consider for the sake of a swift and effortless decision.

Tadir Wrote:I think it was more that what server we are on doesn't really make a difference, as long as we're on the same one. So whether it's picked or voted on, the result is the same. And no need for bad language.

No, see, it does make a difference. Intra-LinkShell if a guild leader wants to make an executive decision that "We, as a Link Shell are going to this server." that's their prerogative. But when you bring in the vested interests of multiple guilds and factions then something like that becomes "not ok" due to the sheer number of people and agendas that are in play. If you're not going to do it democratically then there's no point in even having a "coalition" of Link Shells.

Also, letters arranged arbitrarily by a writer have no moral alignment or consciousness to make moral choices so they can't be "bad."

I will agree with the sentiment that the name itself doesn't make a difference at all BUT simply because there is more than 1 server (and those servers are named after imaginary people some players have wrote slash-fic about) people will bitch and moan about what one is picked, so giving them the ability to make their wishes known effectively removes any weight they could bring to bear on the argument, because they had the ability to vote for their choice.

Way to take the 'high ground' Axl. Just keep that nose pointed straight up, it's easier to maintain a smug sense of superiority that way.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - sassaroth - 08-30-2010

I suggest we roll a D20 and consult the table 1:1.

Table 1:1
1-20 Remember its just a server name, we aren't naming a child.

sassaroth Wrote:I suggest we roll a D20 and consult the table 1:1.

I can't find an image macro for how hard I laughed at that, suffice to say, I just finished cleaning up all the juice i spat over my monitor XD

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - River - 08-30-2010

Arelian Wrote:That's right folks, all this fuss over the NAME of the server you'll be playing on. It won't affect you in any way, shape or form. So why are people getting so bent out of shape about it?

Actually, we aren't voting about just the name.

There are many repercussions with choosing the right or wrong server. We could have to deal with a non-rp linkshell that is hostile toward others. We could have to deal with either an overcrowded, or on the other side of the coin, underdeveloped population that could have lasting effects on our economy.

There are certain things everyone needs to keep in mind when choosing the server we'll all be using.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Tadir - 08-30-2010

We don't have that information yet and won't til after release. So, yes, we are just voting on a name. There is a possibility that there will be one or more of those groups on every single server in the game.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - UnbeknownstGhost - 08-30-2010

Siben Wrote:
sassaroth Wrote:I suggest we roll a D20 and consult the table 1:1.

I can't find an image macro for how hard I laughed at that, suffice to say, I just finished cleaning up all the juice i spat over my monitor XD

Ah, nerd jokes. We love you so.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kima wolf - 08-30-2010

Well there are some precautions that can be taken already. Like not picking the very first server, no matter if it wins or not, like not choosing a server with a extremely popular villain name (if they go that route) because it too will be super crowded. For every person who rolls their eyes at "Sephiroth", there are 3 more who are going **** yeah! i'm rollin there!" So right now it very much will be more than a name.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Asyria - 08-30-2010

I hereby declare the "To Vote orTo Rule?" debate as a Royal Can Of Worms.
Anyone calling it a Democratic Can Of Worms will be hanged.
^^

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - sassaroth - 08-30-2010

nerd jokes is all I got. :afro:

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Trizzip - 08-30-2010

It's not about picking a certain server name. It's about DEMOCRACY. It's about having the right to have a say in the matter. I like to feel like I matter, so a vote is very important in my eyes. To take that away would be very unethical in my opinion. Is the choice that big of deal? No it isn't, but it isn't about that, it's about what the choice represents. It's the principal of the matter.

If there are individuals enraged over the fact that the vote is even in consideration of being taken away is quite understandable. I am not in agreement that the right of 'choice' be taken away from so many so that so few who are in beta can have certain privileges (such as securing a name 'in-game').

If you take away the vote or lessen it's value, why not go the whole nine and eliminate all voting? (for the charter, for all future proposals). Because by taking this vote away, why should folks care about voting after that? If I vote for something in the future, it could potentially not matter because of discussions made by council leaders that I do not get to partake in. At that point, I'll feel exactly like how I do with voting in corrupt government officials, and that point is that "it doesn't matter what our vote is. Our power as a community is an illusion which has the only purpose of making us 'think' our opinions matter"

Voting reinforces our importance as a whole, as a community. What good is a RP community that is not community at all but a divided bunch of individuals who seek to gain their own good despite taking certain individual rights from others?

I'm not even going to be in-game until PS3 release and already have my character's first and last name posted up on the forum. I'm pretty creative, if someone hijacks my name, I'll just make a new one, no big deal. Surely not a big enough deal to rob the people of their right to have a choice.