Hydaelyn Role-Players
Server Selection (Prelude) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Server Selection (Prelude) (/showthread.php?tid=153)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Renaise - 06-30-2010

GaelicWarlord Wrote:Honestly, my greatest concern is whether or not they'll make language specific servers like most MMO's do. .... that could get REALLY annoying.

I am fairly sure they have stated that it will be worldwide servers like in FFXI, I presume that means English and Non-English speakers are all together, which is personally how I prefer it. FFXI was great in that regard, usually someone around at anytime.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Aveline - 06-30-2010

Yep, pretty much what Renaise said. S-E has said that all servers will be international.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - GaelicWarlord - 06-30-2010

I guess I'll leave my judgement for after I actually participate in an international server. There are some obvious ups to it, and some cons, atleast as far as I can percieve. I just hope I don't run into too much of a language barrier with the people I'm playing with. We'll see!

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Seraphine Felstar - 06-30-2010

Quote:I presume that means English and Non-English speakers are all together, which is personally how I prefer it.

Not to derail the topic but I like the mixed atmosphere too. I think when Japanese players started putting up {English} {No, thanks} it made English speakers wonder why and change some of their attitudes. People are a lot more polite in FFXI then they are in WoW and I think a lot of it has to do with the Japanese. I think they taught us how to act politely online and take our jobs seriously while we taught them not to be quite so xenophobic.

As for the language barrier, the auto-translate usually does a pretty good job as long as the person you're talking to is semi-intelligent. I had one Japanese white mage in a group while we were doing the airship fight and they couldn't cast paralyna even when we auto-translated it a million times. I've also had English white mages do the same thing no matter how many times you ask. On the other hand I've had great parties with Japanese people who used auto-translate and broken English which turned out to be really fun Smile

And yes, Japanese people RP ^^

/end rant ^^;;

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - DAISHI - 06-30-2010

I have had a big attitude change towered the Japanese. While once I really had a deep love and almost fascination with their culture, my general encounters with many if them in conjunction with many of their political and ecological decisions has made me wary. Not that you can put an entire people in a bottle but I guess I just have a more realist - or perhaps pessimitic - view of them.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - GaelicWarlord - 06-30-2010

Seraphine Wrote:
Quote:I presume that means English and Non-English speakers are all together, which is personally how I prefer it.

Not to derail the topic but I like the mixed atmosphere too. I think when Japanese players started putting up {English} {No, thanks} it made English speakers wonder why and change some of their attitudes. People are a lot more polite in FFXI then they are in WoW and I think a lot of it has to do with the Japanese. I think they taught us how to act politely online and take our jobs seriously while we taught them not to be quite so xenophobic.

As for the language barrier, the auto-translate usually does a pretty good job as long as the person you're talking to is semi-intelligent. I had one Japanese white mage in a group while we were doing the airship fight and they couldn't cast paralyna even when we auto-translated it a million times. I've also had English white mages do the same thing no matter how many times you ask. On the other hand I've had great parties with Japanese people who used auto-translate and broken English which turned out to be really fun Smile

And yes, Japanese people RP ^^

/end rant ^^;;

Ah, well if there is infact an auto-translate feature, then I feel much better already. Its not that I don't want to participate with foreigners. I just thought it'd be really hard to do, if we couldn't understand eachother at all. But, it seems there is already a system present to fix that, so International servers don't sound all that bad.

@ Daishi

I know with a lot of political things that are seen and done in the world, it can be easy to hold prejudice towards people. Hell... as an American, I know about 90% of the world holds prejudices against me because of political decisions that were made by our government. I think the best way to deal with that, plain and simple, is leave politics out of the game altogether. There is no need for it to be there. I'm not trying to criticize you, because frankly, I'm guilty of the same thing all to often. But like you said yourself, just because something happens that embodies a country as a whole, doesn't mean it embodies that person. For instance, just because I'm american, doesn't necessarily mean I'm pro-war, have an arsenal of weapons in my closet, am hugely obese, and have to get a supersized meal every time I go to McDonalds. Heck, I don't even eat at Mickey D's. xD

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Zane - 06-30-2010

Renaise Wrote:
Quote:
Quote:2. What about people who have real life friends or guilds/linkshells who plan to play FF14 but don't want to RP? A lot of them might not join if their friends don't start on the same server or they might be dissuaded if RP'ers won't hang out with their non-RP friends to level/complete missions/etc.

First of all there is nothing to say we wouldn't hang out with non-rpers, I personally enjoy that from time to time, as I am sure others around here do. As for the people who want to roleplay but also want to be with their friends on another server, I say after making sure the person knows what we are trying to do, and then asking if his or her friends wouldnt mind just heading over to our server instead if that is possible, (if they havent officially joined a server yet I don't see why that would be a problem). If that is'nt a possibility then maybe we ask the person if they want to create an alt on our server for RP? If none of that works, I guess it's a lost cause, they will either follow their friends or if roleplay is important to them they will come to our server. What will be will be I'm afraid.

This is the boat I am in currently. As of this moment, I currently have 9 RL friends who will be playing with me. Several more have expressed interest in playing FF XIV. All of the 9 are Role-Players to some extent. We may not end up on the RP server though, and here's why:

Within hours of an official starting server list being made, my friends and I will have picked a server, so each of those 9 can tell their friends, who can tell their friends what server we are going to start on. Everyone needs to be on the same page from day 1. Include in that the fact that I will be -hopefully- playing with my current friends in FF XI who will have to tell their friends, who tell their friends. While voting for a server is going on here in the RPC, all of us will have already decided which server we will be playing on. Lest all of the different groups of people that want to play together splinter off onto different servers and I get a repeat of what happened when I started playing XI. Of course, I hold no hopes that all of these people from the far corners of the world are all going to start on the server that we choose. However, there can be no arguing the sooner we set this in motion, the less likely it is for individuals to "Fall through the cracks." I imagine that's why the RPC was put together so early too - to keep everyone on the same page.

I will be casting my vote for the server my friends and I choose, and hope that the RPC winds up on the same server I am going to. Of course I understand there are probably a few people here that will be in the same situation I am in, and with a large number of servers, there will probably be a conflict of interests. Either way, I believe that what ever server is chosen will be best for the RPC, whether it winds up being the same as mine or not. I've talked it over with my friends for the past few weeks, and we've decided if we are on the RPC server, the guild we run will be progression focused with very casual RP elements. (I.E. No role-play will take place on-shell, but with a heavy population within the guild of people that roleplay to some extent, role-playing will happen in private, OOC relationship and team building taking a focus over IC story development.) Or possibly forming a friendly relationship with a more hard-core Role Play group that is accepting part time members so that those members of my guild have a place to go in order to Role-Play.

Also, at $3 a character, I probably would not be able to justify the money spent for the time invested in a character on another server unless I become much more well off than I currently am.

To touch on a few points I saw mentioned:

- Most likely they will not keep any of the Beta names. In XI all of the server names were based off of villains and they didn't carry one server over to release. The naming convention was also, obviously, changed.

- There is no way to tell what will be a Low, Medium, or high population server at launch other than skimming through forums - such revelations coming after the RPC votes any way. Even when selecting a server on launch day, if it lists server population, is highly subject to fluctuating and changing until probably April the next year after everyone who is getting this game settles.

- If SE does designate an RP server (Unlikely, but of course possible), I believe it would be in our best interest to start on an RP server. Even though I really do not like the RP crowd on Role-Playing servers, you will generally find more people tolerant (If not accepting) of it. In some games, there is much stricter rule enforcement from GMs as well. Usually those Role-Players that have garnered a notorious reputation for PDA only hang out in the starting areas and maintain relatively low levels so they're easy to spot. When you journey out from those areas, the Role-Players you encounter can be a very rich experience.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Klare - 07-01-2010

hmm many things to think about here, but I guess all we can really do is wait it out and see what SE is going to do and then what everyone else dose for that. I think for myself personally I'll see what server everyone here wants to join then try to convince my RL friends to go as well. Worst comes to worst I'll just put Klare wherever the the rp community goes and make another character to play with my friends/family.

Overall I just hope we can all find a nice server for the role playing community and have enough role players in it to enhance our own enjoyment of the game, without the harassment of rp haters. --_--

Biggest fear would be to have another wow type rp server where the rpers are always outnumbered by the non-rper/haters.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Blade - 07-01-2010

DAISHI Wrote:I have had a big attitude change towered the Japanese. While once I really had a deep love and almost fascination with their culture, my general encounters with many if them in conjunction with many of their political and ecological decisions has made me wary. Not that you can put an entire people in a bottle but I guess I just have a more realist - or perhaps pessimitic - view of them.

Eh... and what encounters with them are you referring to? Interactions in FFXI or more? Because if you are talking about interactions within a video game, you have to realize that you are dealing with a microcosm of the population... not a good representative sample of the population. I hardly think that the american players of ffxi really would serve as a good sample portion for us, either. A lot is lost over text and l think many of us english speakers wouldn't want to be grouped with a lot of jerks that play ffxi.

As someone who has lived in japan and speaks japanese, the people are incredibly polite overall, but they do handle foreigners in an odd way. They won't try to talk to you unless you try to speak japanese to them, which many americans perceive as rude, although how often do you approach someone to talk to them on this side of the world when you can't make out what they are saying? But if you speak japanese to them, their face lights up, and they will chat like crazy. They are this way in ffxi too, tons of JPs friend me because to find an american they can communicate with is so rare. My first linkshell invite was actually to a jp linkshell, in fact. They really do love it when you learn their language, makes them feel honored lol. I hope ffxiv will let me type in japanese...

As for their politcal and economical policies... well, the western world trashes the environment far more than the japanese do... their justice system could use some work though.

But yeah, just be conscious of the lens through which you see the world.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Aveline - 07-01-2010

Quote:But if you speak japanese to them, their face lights up, and they will chat like crazy. They are this way in ffxi too, tons of JPs friend me because to find an american they can communicate with is so rare

This is so true! I haven't managed to learn Japanese fluently (haha I am still waaaay off), but for FFXI I started learning some rudimentary phrases and stuff to communicate beyond the auto-translate. I made a really good friend that way; he barely spoke English and I barely spoke Japanese so we communicated in a really weird way, but we stayed in touch for years. But anyway when I first introduced myself with Japanese he was like !!!! [wall of Japanese text]. Hahaha.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Sunny Dove - 07-01-2010

Mythis Wrote:
Quote:But if you speak japanese to them, their face lights up, and they will chat like crazy. They are this way in ffxi too, tons of JPs friend me because to find an american they can communicate with is so rare

This is so true! I haven't managed to learn Japanese fluently (haha I am still waaaay off), but for FFXI I started learning some rudimentary phrases and stuff to communicate beyond the auto-translate. I made a really good friend that way; he barely spoke English and I barely spoke Japanese so we communicated in a really weird way, but we stayed in touch for years. But anyway when I first introduced myself with Japanese he was like !!!! [wall of Japanese text]. Hahaha.

I've always wanted to learn Japanese for the sole purpose of communicating with more players on FFXI. Is there a way to type using kanji? I assume you used the Latin alphabet (Romaji)?

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Olette - 07-01-2010

Because of the major problem about designated roleplay servers, I would probably have to say that there is a very slim chance of SE following in World of Warcraft's footsteps now that I think about it further. Also, SE did clarify that there will be international servers. This shows the possibility of there being a server list exactly like XI's. Also, most of my list on FFXI does indeed consist of non-roleplayers and perhaps it's because I did not choose the right server. Or maybe I just didn't put enough effort into finding those who /actually/ roleplay. In the end, I think even if there is a designated roleplay server all of us can work past it. If there are people with terrible roleplay habits, heck, you can always ignore them. Unlike FFXI, XIV does not always require a party. The leveling (or skilling) system still has a challenge, but doesn't always need parties.

I'm sure there will be a server list before the game makes it's debut. I'm pretty sure they'll have one for beta version even. But who knows ? There hasn't been any confirmation. Whether there be a specific server for roleplayers or not, I'm excited anyway.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - DAISHI - 07-01-2010

Like I said, I have a more realist opinion of them these days, where once I had a fascination with their culture. My stereotypes about the Japanese, which were highly positive, were tempered by the realism that they've got as many flaws as anyone else. There's one issue more than any other that made my opinion of them more negative and that's just a consequence of having outright conflict with them in the past.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Aveline - 07-01-2010

Sunny Dove Wrote:
Mythis Wrote:

I've always wanted to learn Japanese for the sole purpose of communicating with more players on FFXI. Is there a way to type using kanji? I assume you used the Latin alphabet (Romaji)?

Yeah I had to use standard Roman character keyboard, I heard there was a way on PCs to mod it so you could use kanji, but I played on PS3 and then later XBox so I was stuck with what the game gave me.

That part always struck me as very interesting: many Japanese players seemed to be able to understand my Romaji text just fine, and responded to it, but I think if someone spoke to me trying to use English words but with Japanese text, I would be even more confused. I'm curious if it's part of basic primary school education that all Japanese kids at least learn the English alphabet enough to know what each letter is supposed to symbolize.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - ArmachiA - 07-01-2010

Jumping into this discussion Tongue

On Aion there were no dedicated RP servers, so their version of the RPC (Called ARP or Aion Roleplayers) all voted and decided to go to a server called Lumiel. This actually worked out to the NonRPers and RPers advantage, the server was (and still is) one of the most active servers and you never really had a problem finding someone to do something with. The RP community was tight and they had RP events and were generally left alone by the non-RPers (There were trolls though, just not that many)

This is what I hope for FFXIV. On the downside it does make it harder for RPers not in the know to find the right server, but it really a win-win situation all around. NonRpers and RPers coexisting on one server, making friends, and getting things done.

So hopefully they pull an Aion and don't designate servers.