Hydaelyn Role-Players
Server Selection (Prelude) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Server Selection (Prelude) (/showthread.php?tid=153)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Shamadconde - 07-01-2010

I know one way we can really make sure that the general community is aware of our activities would be to regularly post on the RPC thread on Eorzeapedia. That site gets an insane amount of traffic.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - GaelicWarlord - 07-01-2010

I think this is a great idea. I think we should have one of the admins here make a thread, and I'll be certain to help bump and keep it active. *nod* *nod*

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - ArmachiA - 07-01-2010

I have to agree, that is a really good idea!

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Shamadconde - 07-01-2010

There is already an RPC thread there. We just need to post there ALOT.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kylin - 07-02-2010

As our next "recruitment" push, we're going to be releasing a guild teaser site with what will be IC teasers of about 8-9 RP guilds. This will ideally go public next week. That should drag in some more RPers.

Anywho, I'll begin Part II of the server selection discussion later today so be prepared for that!

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kylin - 07-02-2010

II. What if…

This segment will be the meat of this entire discussion. The goal is to discuss every possible thing that could go wrong in our attempt to unite role-players under a single server. Some of these things may seem silly to discuss and you might say “oh that’ll never happen.” But keep in mind that up until the other day, we all thought PS3 and PC players would be starting together. A lot of things can go horribly wrong and our goal is to be prepared for each and every one of them even if the chances of a particular event happening seems near zero.

I guess I’ll go ahead and get you all started with the basics.

What if SE designates more than one RP server?

We all know that if SE gives us a RP server, we’ll gather on that. But what if they create more than one? The logical choice is to just vote between those RP servers as there simply isn’t enough Rpers to spread across two or more different servers. This is no World of Warcraft after all.

What if server selection is set up like FFXI’s was at the beginning?

I think this is unlikely but again, this is SE we’re dealing with. They like to change things at the last minute to shatter our hopes and dreams xD. If server selection is randomly assigned, we have to be prepared for a rather massive and fast-paced distribution of world passes. Instead of rushing off to start your first quests or leveling, we’d need to desperately mobilize every able body to collect world passes. We’d need -hundreds- of them after all.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - foxfirestorm - 07-02-2010

One of my concerns is actually..
What if they separate the PS3 and PC users?
I doubt that could happen, but it is known that sometimes mixing several systems together it can cause lag. SE though has mastered this issue, which is why I doubt it, but because PS3 is coming out in 2011, kinda makes me wonder what they hold up is on that side.
Outside of just having to convert the thing from a computer to a console.

Now, I suggest that if they do make it where we can not select a server (which will suck, but it seems we once more have to pay for extra characters), it probably be best for us to maybe pick some people who are getting the collector's editions, who can get on before everyone else can (since they have what 8 days ahead?) and have them scout and figure out what be the best server.
Once maybe then everyone agrees on this, before the main people who are not getting the collectors can get on, we pick a server, then those who are on that server, work together to get people passes. Then make a forum just for people asking for passes and us giving out passes to those who need it. That way work out management for passes and so on.

As then for RP servers, if we get more then one, which would be /amazing/.
.. admittedly, I am not sure what to say on that one. ^^;

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Aveline - 07-02-2010

What if SE designates more than one RP server?
Well, this is a highly unlikely scenario from my perspective, but if they were to designate more than one RP server, I assume we would just have to bump up RPC visibility on all the community sites and alter the RPC's forums and site a bit to fit in multiple servers. I recall in FFXI, there was a cross-server linkshell called MithraPride. They were the ones that first made a Vana'diel clock, which is how I found out about them. Here's their website so you can see how they manage multiple servers: http://mithrapride.org

Basically they just provided support for people from all servers and it worked out really well for them in FFXI's heyday.

What if server selection is set up like FFXI’s was at the beginning?
This will be obnoxious, but if I recall (at least at the start of PS2 launch, I don't know about NA PC's launch), you could buy World Passes even near the beginning of the game. So if some members from each RP linkshell don't mind doing the re-roll until you hit the right server technique, they can initially work on guildleves or what-have-you to pool together enough gil to buy worldpasses. Then those incoming people can save up enough to buy a few more, and so on. This is relying on there being world passes from the beginning, but it is one solution.

Quote:Then make a forum just for people asking for passes and us giving out passes to those who need it. That way work out management for passes and so on.
Synchronized idea spouting. Big Grin What he said.

I can't think of another what if so I will pass for now and come back with something later. Big Grin

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Zane - 07-02-2010

Quote:What if SE designates more than one RP server?

We all know that if SE gives us a RP server, we’ll gather on that. But what if they create more than one? The logical choice is to just vote between those RP servers as there simply isn’t enough Rpers to spread across two or more different servers. This is no World of Warcraft after all.

I would have to agree with this to a point. I think we should vote on a server out of the listed RP servers and go to that server. We should also think about expanding the RPC to accommodate Cross Server support, as Mythis suggested. If there are multiple RP servers, I have no doubt that guilds blissfully unaware of the RPC's existence will pop up after launch, and it would be nice to include them in what the RPC has to offer.

Quote:What if server selection is set up like FFXI’s was at the beginning?

I think this is unlikely but again, this is SE we’re dealing with. They like to change things at the last minute to shatter our hopes and dreams xD. If server selection is randomly assigned, we have to be prepared for a rather massive and fast-paced distribution of world passes. Instead of rushing off to start your first quests or leveling, we’d need to desperately mobilize every able body to collect world passes. We’d need -hundreds- of them after all.

At FF XI's launch, you were randomly assigned a server, but, you were able to delete your main character and remake it hoping to land on the server of your choice. Your Account specific server wasn't locked until you created a second character. So... I believe it would be best if everyone that was getting the Collector's edition for PC got into a chat room at launch and everyone kept trying to get into the chosen server. Once someone was in, they would attempt to retrieve a World Pass while the others continued to create and delete their characters hoping to land on the server. Eventually, they would all get through.

Next, I would suggest a thread be created to list the names of the individuals that will be buying a copy of standard on launch. The day before (Since World Passes had expiration dates) I would highly recommend everyone joining the next day, giving out World Passes, or mods to the site can be on hand to update a sticky'd thread with lists of names that need World Passes. Since World Passes had limited uses, and we don't just want to post a million World Passes, I suggest the list of names be sorted alphabetically, and the first World Pass posted is assigned to the first five members on the list (Or however many a world pass would support this time around) and so on and so forth. Since the players on XIV had an entire week to play, there should be no shortage of World Passes, so people who's names begin with Z won't have to worry that there won't be a world pass available to them within an hour or so of the first world passes being posted. The Moderators would just update the OP with who gets what World Passes to alleviate any confusion.

Quote:One of my concerns is actually..
What if they separate the PS3 and PC users?
I doubt that could happen, but it is known that sometimes mixing several systems together it can cause lag. SE though has mastered this issue, which is why I doubt it, but because PS3 is coming out in 2011, kinda makes me wonder what they hold up is on that side.
Outside of just having to convert the thing from a computer to a console.

You will not have to worry about that at all. If they were able to do this at launch with FF XI, they most certainly will with XIV. In fact, the Beta will be cross-platform as well once they add the console gamers. The reason why it is taking so long is the PS3 is the most difficult platform to program for. It has it's own development tools, and doesn't just have a way to import C++ code like the 360 does. Square Enix is probably the company most familiar with the PS3 developer's kit next to Sony themselves so you can be assured of a quality launch.

My theory for the launch is as follows: The Alpha step took longer than originally thought to complete, so as the team was re-evaluating their progress in the project, it was determined there would be no way they could complete the PS3 version by the end of the year. Originally, I believed SE was planning on a much later launch with the PC version coinciding with the PS3 version when complete, but now given a choice between fulfilling their promise and launching before year's end or delaying until next year and having a simultaneous launch, they decided having the PC version launch this year was best. After all, Cataclysm comes out October or later this year, and The Old Republic is slated for March of next year from what I heard. Those two titles are XIV's main competitors, and when it comes to MMOs, the earlier you launch (Assuming you didn't leave any glaring bugs in the game) the better to secure the biggest fan base. A launch in September may get some WoW players that are tired of the Ice Crown Citadel grind, as well as some players that were planning on playing ToR when it comes out but now have nothing to do for 6 months. Eventually, those players will leave XIV to play their intended game, but the impression XIV left on them when compared to the new game might bring some of them back.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Smiling River - 07-02-2010

Quote:If there are multiple RP servers, I have no doubt that guilds blissfully unaware of the RPC's existence will pop up after launch, and it would be nice to include them in what the RPC has to offer.
At the risk of sounding "stereotypically" exclusionary, I dare ask: What would we offer to guilds on other servers? I think everything RPC has got to offer relies on the fact that every/most RP guild has to be on the same server. I mean, if they are all over we might as well have had an RPC in FFXI... but what would be the point of that?

I think this discussion, and the purpose of the RPC in general, should be focused on getting all of us on the same server. Once we pick a server we just have to advertise over and over again until it's common knowledge that 'server x' is where the RP community is at. If other guilds form in other places, we can just let them know about us. After that it's up to them.

Worst case scenarios:

More than one RP server: Pick one, advertise on the others to divert as many Role-Players our way as possible. Over time as our numbers grow we'll also pull RP'ers from other RP servers as well since we'll have a robust community.

Random servers: Keep re-rolling until you got the right one, get world-passes.

Last minute split: Say there is a conflict/misunderstanding/confusion/etc and one or more guilds end up on different servers. What should be done?

RP-resistant server: For some reason we end up on a server which has a particularly negative bias against RPers. Grief is a regular ordeal. Stay or go?

Unknown Names: Names of servers unknown until launch. How do we pick one?

Mobilization agitation: lol I'm having fun with this now. Anyway, what if we fail to mobilize RP'ers to our server? Ads placed on other forums haven't been entirely effective, or at least weren't as welcome as we'd hoped. What if general Role-Players or people who are at least willing to try it end up all over the place?

Friend Trap: What if a significant amount of Role-Players decide on a server with their friends first, and move there to play with them. Should we all try to pick one server for everyone? Is that even possible? How can we get as many people on our server, along with their friends.

Quote:At the risk of sounding "stereotypically" exclusionary, I dare ask: What would we offer to guilds on other servers? I think everything RPC has got to offer relies on the fact that every/most RP guild has to be on the same server. I mean, if they are all over we might as well have had an RPC in FFXI... but what would be the point of that?

I think even if people do end up on other servers, the RPC still has a role to play (haha) in providing a space for RP groups to organize, for new potential RPers to find groups, and to simply create a common space for FFXIV roleplayers to call their own.

There is a difference between picking from guilds on the same server and picking from guilds on different servers. If the RPC becomes nothing but a link between different groups on various servers then it would be a failure in my eyes. The whole point (or so I thought) was to have us all under one roof 'cause then everyone will have a lot more freedom to move around from guild to guild, have massive events, greater opportunity for role-play, etc. All of that would be gone if RPC is stretched across servers, it'd just be a shadow of what it could have been.

Mason, I believe that what you describe is certainly one of the main points of the RPC, but if there do end up being multiple RP servers designated by Square-Enix (doubtful), or if people do end up forming RP groups on other servers (practically inevitable), then I don't think we should simply write off the RPC as a failure. There will still be our core RP groups that we have been working on for quite some time now, and I think it's clear that we are all in agreement on wanting to be on the same server, so even if further on down the line someone does start a RP group on another server, the RPC will still be invaluable to those of us who are collaborating on this project, if that makes sense.

I think we would be doing ourselves a great disservice to suggest the RPC "failed" in any way if not all RP groups ended up on the same server. We cannot control what every guild leader decides to do, and we shouldn't try to. If someone decides they want to forge off on their own and create a roleplay guild on Server X while all the RPC groups are over on server Y, well then good for them. They probably won't have very many members, since I imagine the majority of RPers will want a rich community like ours, but I'm sure there will be a few. And shouldn't those RPers that chose a different server due to friends/family non-RPers also feel like an extended part of our community?

I understand the fear of being too spread out, but we should work to strengthen the community, not cut it off.

Let me clarify, I would see it as a failure if all guilds were everywhere... as in FFXI, and RPC was just a central gathering hub online.

You are saying that guilds/role-players should still be part of the RPC even if they are on a different server? Well that's a slippery slope, but let's not even go there. I'm just saying that the RPC would be rather useless for guilds outside of our server. Random roleplayers, sure there is no way we can stop them even if we wanted to, from checking us out. Again, RPC would be a very limited tool for them. I just don't see what we can do to really incorporate them if they aren't even on our server. I'd want them to join us by switching servers of course, but if they don't want to, there is nothing we can do except go on our business.

Blah, maybe this is offtopic.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - foxfirestorm - 07-02-2010

Mythis Wrote:
Quote:Then make a forum just for people asking for passes and us giving out passes to those who need it. That way work out management for passes and so on.
Synchronized idea spouting. Big Grin What he said.

She. Wink

Honestly I do find that RPC is very important for keeping the roleplayers together as well. Champions Online had this, though admittedly, to me, it got a bit crazy in the end as we started to get the hardcore nazis in who were way to restrictive and didn't give some lee-way.
I love the idea of this, I love community standing together and working with one another. Its team work and it can show. On top of it, its like having one massive family!

Just sad when the family itself can't get along. -_-

Anyhow, I will be getting the collector's edition when it comes out, so those who are also, let me know~
I really think those of use who are getting in ahead should be looking over to make sure everything is going to be clear for the players and try and see what is going on.
Then report it. Right now, staying informative, sticking together, and working as a team is the most important thing we can do.

Even in the end, we decided to go to different servers, at least we can still try and make events where everyone can do stuff together, even if its on the boards and not in the game.

That is just my two cents worth~