Hydaelyn Role-Players
Server Selection (Prelude) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Server Selection (Prelude) (/showthread.php?tid=153)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Aveline - 07-02-2010

Quote:She. Wink

Haha sorry, your username keeps making me think Starfox. Big Grin

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - ArmachiA - 07-02-2010

I think for the "Friend trap" since there is no set servers yet, no one has made u their mind. Maybe people can talk to their friends and ask them about joining athe unofficial RP server. If they don't RP it's completely fine. I'm talking to a bunch of people from the Quetz server about moving to one server and will ask about the designates "RPC" server. Unless their really stubborn, I doubt they'll have a problem with it.

The best way to avoid any kind of split is to just get the word out there that this place exists.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - foxfirestorm - 07-02-2010

ArmachiA Wrote:I think for the "Friend trap" since there is no set servers yet, no one has made u their mind. Maybe people can talk to their friends and ask them about joining athe unofficial RP server. If they don't RP it's completely fine. I'm talking to a bunch of people from the Quetz server about moving to one server and will ask about the designates "RPC" server. Unless their really stubborn, I doubt they'll have a problem with it.

The best way to avoid any kind of split is to just get the word out there that this place exists.

Ahh, I never had to worry about the "Friend Trap." I play MMOs, like I play MUSHes, I go where the RP is and anyone who knows me, knows this. Thankfully my RL friend also roleplays, so she will go wherever I go and for everyone else I know, well-- if they want to join me on whatever we decide is the official RP server is fine, that is good, if not, then we always have email and messengers. XD

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Faust - 07-02-2010

My thoughts:

Last minute split: Say there is a conflict/misunderstanding/confusion/etc and one or more guilds end up on different servers. What should be done?

The RPC should QUICKLY decide what the server should be, and those on other servers should reroll/server transfer.

RP-resistant server: For some reason we end up on a server which has a particularly negative bias against RPers. Grief is a regular ordeal. Stay or go?

I think leaving is the last recourse we should pursue. First, we report griefers and make a concerted attempt to educate them while presenting ourselves in a favorable light. If in reasonable time, the problem persists heavily and SE fails to enforce its own anti-harassment policies, then we grief back. Most likely, griefers will be scattered and unliked, and neither able or willing to stand up to a united front against them. If all else fails, we can search for a server that will welcome us and begin a migration campaign.

Unknown Names: Names of servers unknown until launch. How do we pick one?

I'd say we need to have placeholder threads in all of the populated communities, just to let people know that there WILL be an unofficial server selected, and they should check back when they sign up to find out what it is. Of course, the RPC will need to decide very quickly on what that server will be.

Mobilization agitation: lol I'm having fun with this now. Anyway, what if we fail to mobilize RP'ers to our server? Ads placed on other forums haven't been entirely effective, or at least weren't as welcome as we'd hoped. What if general Role-Players or people who are at least willing to try it end up all over the place?

The best we can do is be vocal about it. As I've said a couple of times now, shortly before release (probably as soon as a server is decided), make a thread in major forums: Unofficial RP server is "Server". This way everyone knows with merely a cursory glance which server it is. We keep these threads bumped and visible (preferably with contributing content rather than just *bumps*). If we can get community sites to support us by making announcements or hosting articles, that would be great.

Friend Trap: What if a significant amount of Role-Players decide on a server with their friends first, and move there to play with them. Should we all try to pick one server for everyone? Is that even possible? How can we get as many people on our server, along with their friends.

Personally I've flat out told my friends that I'm going to the RP server, so they should come there too. There's really no good reason to pick a different server in advance... one is pretty much as good as another. They shouldn't have a problem going to the RP server.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kylin - 07-03-2010

If anyone is ambitious enough to start on a "what if..." thread separate from this one that we can lock, sticky, and continue updating based on the feedback here, I'd love you long time Cool . The recent forum explosion has left me rather busy :oops:

That said, another possible scenario that is unlikely to happen but still possible:

What if we end up with 1,000+ RPers by the time the game launches? Again, this is -highly- unlikely but I'd rather be prepared just in case. I'm pretty sure Aion's RP community didn't see that many coming but that's how many they ended up getting after their population explosion. At that point, it might be best to start looking into designating two separate RP servers. You have to figure after considering the Japanese population and non-RP population, that's a huge number to fit onto a single server.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Soren Miren - 07-03-2010

Castiel Wrote:What if we end up with 1,000+ RPers by the time the game launches? Again, this is -highly- unlikely but I'd rather be prepared just in case. I'm pretty sure Aion's RP community didn't see that many coming but that's how many they ended up getting after their population explosion. At that point, it might be best to start looking into designating two separate RP servers. You have to figure after considering the Japanese population and non-RP population, that's a huge number to fit onto a single server.

Honestly I'd rather avoid declaring multiple servers. Is 1k a lot? Sure, if they were all online at the same time, but after figuring in actual active hours, how many people stick with the game long-term, etc., the number becomes pretty miniscule. Even with as many people as Aion's RP community had, Lumiel didn't suffer from the population explosion outside of a few server lockouts for the first few hours.

The worst thing we could do is divide the community early and spread an already rare breed of gamer even thinner. Our goal should be to create the strongest, most solid roleplaying community possible from the outset, regardless of the "what-ifs".

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Seraphine Felstar - 07-03-2010

Since I have very little to do at the moment I went ahead and posted a thread covering the "What If's?" we've discussed. I also put up a poll to make sure everything we discussed in this thread up to this point is agreed upon. If you have any further concerns about server selection please continue to post here. However, if you are posing a "What if?" scenario please post it in the new thread. Thank you ^^

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Aveline - 07-03-2010

Well with the "what if?" about the potential 1k+ RPers... keep in mind that no matter how we get people over to a server, world passes or whatnot, every server is going to have a population cap, and if one world gets too full they will in all likelihood close that server to new players.

If you guys recall, they had to do server juggling in FFXI, and new worlds were brought online where people were randomly tossed on to in order to balance world load. So if we try to cram 1,000+ people onto one world that other non-RPers are also trying to get onto, we may end up being split no matter what. Just a thought.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Faust - 07-04-2010

I agree with Soren. If for some reason we can't get everyone on one server, have a backup server declared, but make it clear that it's the spill-over server, not necessarily an RP server.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Smiling River - 07-04-2010

Worst case scenario: We start a vote on the server Sept 22 - Sept 30
I plan on getting the special edition, and I'll play on the first day but I wont mind deleting the character and re-rolling a day or two later. It's not like I will lose anything significant >_>; So even if we vote after the game comes out, people can still play, just keep in mind that you might have to delete and re-roll.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Faust - 07-04-2010

Personally I don't really even care about RP in the beta. The people that I want to play with aren't in the beta. I really don't even want to spoil the game for myself by investing a bunch of playtime into the beta either. I may be the only person who is primarily there just to offer feedback.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Shamadconde - 07-04-2010

If I get an invite that will be my main goal. I want this game to be a WoW killer. I give it a 5% chance but isn't 0. The best way is to give all the feedback possible.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Aveline - 07-04-2010

Quote:I may be the only person who is primarily there just to offer feedback.

I'm sure a lot of testers are there to provide feedback.. So far I definitely haven't heard of anyone being there just to RP. I don't know why anyone would want in to the beta for that. >_>

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - ArmachiA - 07-04-2010

I really won't be there to rp, maybe mingle a bit, but mostly to report bugs. I did the same in Aion, didn't touch RP till launch, just looked at the lore and looked for bugs while in Beta

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Guest - 07-04-2010

So im thinking a few things.

1. If beta gets server selection sometime, then a vote for server on Sept 10-15.
2a. If beta gets no server selection and server selection at launch, then:
No vote. Designate somebody getting Ultimate Edition and have them pick on Sept 22 and post it here.
2b. If beta gets no server selection and server selection at launch, then:
No vote. Designate random server (5th down alphabetically, First starting w/ L, ect. ect.).

I'm saying no votes because that will take time to conduct. And I don't know about anyone else, but I will want to be playing the game and not wanting to have to reroll my character. Anyways, we could have a vote on the method we wish to elicit. How bout say Aug 20-30, and then make a sticky which will let us all know how we're going to do this.

Edit: And 1k rpers spread across the world really doesn't seem like that many. The servers should be able to handle it ^_^. (Est: 5-10k ppl in at one time)