Hydaelyn Role-Players
If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... (/showthread.php?tid=15468)

If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - JFrombaugh - 03-07-2016

One of the things that is so amazing about the DRK storyline IMO is that Fray (the embodiment of the Warrior of Light's frustration) says literally almost everything that my own Miranda character usually found herself thinking in those kinds of situations (but rarely dared say out loud).

In fact, I would say the only key difference would be:
DRK storyline Fray - "Why does EVERYBODY in Eorzea feel the need to beg the Warrior of Light for help with some random menial task?!"
Miranda Fray - "Eorzeans in general are arrogant, selfish, ungrateful pricks...why should I bother helping YOU when you're just a member of the scummy nation I hate the most?"

But what about the rest of your characters? Would "Fray" have probably turned out pretty much the same way had your own character grabbed that Soul Crystal and become a DRK themselves? Or would he/she have been the manifestation of some other dark side of your character?

Alternatively, if you RP a DRK yourself, what were the similarities (if any)?

RE: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - Hyakki - 03-07-2016

I don't RP a DRK but my character's pretty selfish when it comes to playing hero. Performing menial tasks or risking her life for a stranger requires a far greater reward than the warm fuzzies of doing a good deed. She has much to lose and more often than not, these requests are not rewarding enough to be worth the risk. She would gladly aid fellow Domans and Eorzeans she deemed trustworthy, everyone else is on their own. I imagine if she picked up the DRK soul crystal and was regarded as some great hero for whatever reason, she'd react much like the WoL Fray.

On a side note, the real Fray sounded like a good guy and I kind of wish the DRK quests were broventures with him and Sidurgu to learn the true meaning of friendship inner darkness.

RE: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - Justsomenoob - 10-21-2017

Question about the DRK soul crystal (or any in the matter) So to obtain a DRK soul crystal, It needs to be passed down or pick it up from a dead DRK or can someone manifest one by training?? I'm confused on how its obtain.

RE: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - Sounsyy - 10-21-2017

(10-21-2017, 04:42 PM)Chandranath Wrote: Question about the DRK soul crystal (or any in the matter) So to obtain a DRK soul crystal, It needs to be passed down or pick it up from a dead DRK or can someone manifest one by training?? I'm confused on how its obtain.

Soul Crystals are created/produced and usually handed down through generations, which is how they gain memories and knowledge and aether. So a DRK crystal would be handed down from a mentor or found.

On the topic, Souns is already vocal about her opinions. And she's not exactly a good alligned character, so her darkside wouldn't be too different from her baseline. Perhaps a more intense, no-nonsense Sounsyy. She'd probably just give the Eorzean Alliance two middle fingers and go kill Garleans...

RE: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - Marisa - 10-21-2017

Do soul crystals require a certain level of strength or fortitude to use? If so, my character probably couldn't manage it.

RE: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - Kieron Lohengrin - 10-22-2017

(03-07-2016, 06:14 AM)JFrombaugh Wrote: One of the things that is so amazing about the DRK storyline IMO is that Fray (the embodiment of the Warrior of Light's frustration) says literally almost everything that my own Miranda character usually found herself thinking in those kinds of situations (but rarely dared say out loud).

In fact, I would say the only key difference would be:
DRK storyline Fray - "Why does EVERYBODY in Eorzea feel the need to beg the Warrior of Light for help with some random menial task?!"
Miranda Fray - "Eorzeans in general are arrogant, selfish, ungrateful pricks...why should I bother helping YOU when you're just a member of the scummy nation I hate the most?"

But what about the rest of your characters? Would "Fray" have probably turned out pretty much the same way had your own character grabbed that Soul Crystal and become a DRK themselves? Or would he/she have been the manifestation of some other dark side of your character?

Alternatively, if you RP a DRK yourself, what were the similarities (if any)?

Taken as a whole, the 30-70 jobquests give you Cecil Harvey's character arc, instead of making you generic Frank Miller grimdark fantasy Batman. Minus the whole jobchange to paladin bit. So it suited my toon just fine

RE: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - Valence - 10-22-2017

I suppose if my character stumbled on such a thing, she might go full steam ahead holding the Alliance in contempt more than she already does, probably all the way to irrationally hating them, while conveniently forgetting her loathing about any kind of authority and go join the ranks of the garlean military or try her luck at the Magitek Academy (and probably utterly fail at checking in since not even a citizen).

And since a DRK soulcrystal does what it does, she would probably be killed while trying to play batman in Garlemald or something.

RE: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - PSDuckie - 10-22-2017

Feral Tyll'a is more like the Warrior's Inner Beast than Fray, but he's the closest thing that Tyll'a has to Fray.  So Tyll'a's Fray would be the one thing he truly fears: his Feral side.

RE: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - Kilieit - 10-22-2017

(10-21-2017, 11:59 PM)Marisa Wrote: Do soul crystals require a certain level of strength or fortitude to use? If so, my character probably couldn't manage it.

They do, yeah:

Encyclopaedia Eorzea Wrote:The wisdom in a soul crystal, however, is not so easily drawn forth - an untrained neophyte cannot simply pick up one of these gems and expect his mind to be flooded with the knowledge of advanced spellcraft or combat techniques. Without first attaining sufficient proficiency and tempering one’s soul to mirror the maturity of the crystal’s contributors, a prospective student will be denied even the slightest glimpse of enlightenment. Thus, as is the case with the more contemporary disciplines, the key to mastering the secrets of a soul crystal lies in diligent study and training.

RE: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - Marisa - 10-22-2017

(10-22-2017, 04:10 PM)Kilieit Wrote:
(10-21-2017, 11:59 PM)Marisa Wrote: Do soul crystals require a certain level of strength or fortitude to use? If so, my character probably couldn't manage it.

They do, yeah:

Encyclopaedia Eorzea Wrote:The wisdom in a soul crystal, however, is not so easily drawn forth - an untrained neophyte cannot simply pick up one of these gems and expect his mind to be flooded with the knowledge of advanced spellcraft or combat techniques. Without first attaining sufficient proficiency and tempering one’s soul to mirror the maturity of the crystal’s contributors, a prospective student will be denied even the slightest glimpse of enlightenment. Thus, as is the case with the more contemporary disciplines, the key to mastering the secrets of a soul crystal lies in diligent study and training.

So it'd just be a neat rock then. Marisa would try to sell it.

RE: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - Fearthainn - 10-25-2017

If I'd have a character who'd acquire the Dark Knight crystal, I'd do it as a slow corruption kind of way. Slowly gnawing at the back of the mind with cynical views and negativity, only getting amplified when doing something good like, say jumping between the White Mage and a Monster to save the Mage, drawing forth more power from the crystal in this regard by turning the darkness into strength.

Thus the character would need to walk the balance of retaining the direction of life with the apparent stupidity of others, so to say.

Something like that, I'd do.

RE: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - Kallera - 10-26-2017

I roleplay a dark knight, with some considerable story into her training and habits. Her manifestations are more "Myste" than "Fray" mainly being a fear of identity. Originally I went with the voice being Kallera's child self, mocking her for her actions under a pseudonym. That at the end of the day, she is Etoile Kallera, a daughter of criminals with her own streak of poor decisions, and no good deed will change that.

These days, with her citizenship being looked into and pondering a name change anyway. If something happened again It might be in the shape of her students, and along the lines of her training as a dark knight. That she deserves to be tied down with "the echo", as a coward and a failure.

RE: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - Vyce - 11-13-2017

My DRK shadow would be me walking around in nothing but heels and a jockstrap flirting with all of the handsome men.

RE: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - Kallera - 11-13-2017

(11-13-2017, 03:53 AM)Vyce Wrote: My DRK shadow would be me walking around in nothing but heels and a jockstrap flirting with all of the handsome men.

I guess a annoying darkside would be easier to deal with than a violent darkside. :p

RE: If your character had found the DRK Soul Crystal... - Vyce - 11-13-2017

(11-13-2017, 10:27 AM)Kallera Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 03:53 AM)Vyce Wrote: My DRK shadow would be me walking around in nothing but heels and a jockstrap flirting with all of the handsome men.

I guess a annoying darkside would be easier to deal with than a violent darkside. :p

Except that its a DRK so it would basically be one of the nurses from Silent Hill but actually attractive.