Hydaelyn Role-Players
Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Artisan House (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel (/showthread.php?tid=1565)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Mtoto Wamoto - 04-19-2013

Azeyma/Xenedra Lineart Preview.
[Image: D09ZZQi.jpg]

For those interested, my process goes as follows:

1. First, I do a rough Sketch on a low res canvas, usually 75 dpi. Typically am just trying to figure out the pose at this stage, so lines tend to be very rough and unrefined. I like the sloppy feeling at this stage because I often "see" shapes, lines, and forms that just come up by mistake in the process.
2. I blow up the image size to 300 dpi. At this stage I add some rough values, a general light source, and some shadows. I blend these together to get a smoother image to convey depth.
3. I begin to add some face and costume detail. Nothing fancy here, just some more rough lines. I usually spend some time extra on the eyes, but again, nothing fancy.
4. Once I'm satisfied with the direction and composition of the image, I blow it up again to 600 dpi. My canvas is usually pretty huge at this point, often sitting at 10,000 x 8,000 pixels. I merge everything down to one layer and reduce the opacity of the layer to about 20%. 
5. I begin doing detailed line art at this stage, starting at the face. Costume changes and any other character design elements get adjusted here. Because I'm able to see the values and shadows on my other layer, I get be pretty simple in terms of lines so I don't need to spend a whole lot of time here.
6. I create another layer between my rough value layer and my lineart layer and begin dropping in flat base colors. I set this layer to multiply to blend with my value layer after I've adjusted and cleaned it.
7. I save a copy of each of my three layers and then merge them down together. Fine detail tuning, lighting, and shadows start to get fleshed out. 
8. Finishing touches.

Right now, I'm jumping back and forth between scenes and I'm constantly scrapping some and revising others. Once I get to the lineart stage, I've pretty much established that I'm going to use that scene for sure. 

Anyways, just thought I'd share~!

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Kassandra Dawn - 04-19-2013

Teach me master, I want to draw like you.

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Kerr - 04-19-2013

(04-19-2013, 11:05 AM)Kassandra Dawn Wrote: Teach me master, I want to draw like you.

No kidding. Surprise

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Ciara Snow - 04-19-2013

me too, this is amazing!

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Mtoto Wamoto - 04-19-2013

Azeyma/Xenedra lineart update:

[Image: 4hrEuHQ.jpg]

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Ellie - 04-19-2013

Gorgeous stuff, Mtoto, I love it! Smile

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Ciara Snow - 04-19-2013

dude what i wouldn't give to be surrounded by half naked serving men!

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Mtoto Wamoto - 04-20-2013

deleted

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Kassandra Dawn - 04-20-2013

Kenqo'te dolls????

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Mtoto Wamoto - 04-24-2013

Quick update for you all. Uploaded from my phone since my laptop is being stupid :/

[Image: GdKF4ej.jpg]

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Luka Paluka - 04-24-2013

I adore this latest piece.

I love seeing the different stages of a piece of work, so this one is great for me. 

You have a stunning art style and I can't wait to see even more of these! Big Grin

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Eva - 04-24-2013

I'll echo Luka's sentiment that I really enjoy seeing WiP's and how a work comes together and the creative process. This is looking really wonderful Mtoto!

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Mtoto Wamoto - 04-25-2013

Thank you guys! I've been thinking about making a time lapse gif of some of the pieces when I get the time or maybe even uploading a sped up recording of me painting one of the images once I get some better hardware. 

In the words of a wise man, "Please look forward to it." TongueCactuar

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Vareal - 04-25-2013

Good lord. These are fantastic! I can't wait to see some of the aforementioned time lapsed stuff! As always RPC-ers, keep up the excellent work!

RE: Eorzean Zodiac Wheel - Mtoto Wamoto - 04-25-2013

Just another quick update for you. Taking a step back in the process of Azeyma because I didn't quite like the dress I had going, so I ended up redesigning it once again, hence the reason this one is taking me more time than I want... well that and Azeyma's harem. lol. Anyways, here's the concept sketch and the base sketch for the new dress.

[Image: G7J2quy.jpg]