Hydaelyn Role-Players
Eve Online Massive War - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Eve Online Massive War (/showthread.php?tid=15724)

Eve Online Massive War - LiadansWhisper - 03-31-2016

I don't play this game, but damn if this isn't fascinating:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/31/11334014/eve-online-war

My favorite comment on the article is:

Multiple choice test:

"A coalition led by a charismatic, battle-proven leader gains legitimacy through its recognition by a religious leader. However, it struggles to maintain its grip over its client states, who chafe at their tribute; its neighbors, resentful of its hegemony, ally against it."

a. The Holy Roman Empire
b. Those bee guys from Eve Online

xD

RE: Eve Online Massive War - Zhavi - 03-31-2016

I am addicted to EVE news. I love it from a distance. A very big distance.

RE: Eve Online Massive War - LiadansWhisper - 03-31-2016

(03-31-2016, 08:07 PM)Zhavi Wrote: I am addicted to EVE news. I love it from a distance. A very big distance.

Yeah, I'm the same way!

RE: Eve Online Massive War - Chlodomer - 04-01-2016

I wish they had massive wars like this in a medieval oriented MMO.

RE: Eve Online Massive War - Valence - 04-01-2016

I played that game for 8 years, and it's a lot prettier and fascinating when watched from afar like a petri dish. 

From inside, it's a cesspool.

RE: Eve Online Massive War - Greybarren - 04-01-2016

(04-01-2016, 04:11 AM)Valence Wrote: I played that game for 8 years, and it's a lot prettier and fascinating when watched from afar like a petri dish. 

From inside, it's a cesspool.

Played for about six, and generally agreed.  Was always interesting to watch the sov maps change and shift, sometimes wandering what happened out in nul-sec while being glad you weren't there at the same time.  The collapse of CVA held space by the AAA alliance (I think) comes to mind.

Sure it was a cesspool but it was my favorite cesspool, being a low-sec/nul-sec pirate in the end.

RE: Eve Online Massive War - Telluride - 04-01-2016

EVE Online still serves a very good purpose:

It keeps some of the worst examples of scum, villainy and dedicated douchebaggery all in one game and out of the rest of online entertainment. May EVE continue to prosper and serve this secretly noble purpose.

I played it for about a year or so, and I enjoyed developing a pilot, getting new ships, and becoming a miner. I still have good memories of some of the mining expeditions I did with some of the local gaming crew. But the hate that its more gritty community gets is, I'm sad to say, entirely and completely deserved, and I had to leave it.

I'd looked into Star Citizen for a long time before I began seeing a lot of discussion about how Goonswarm and some of its "fans" were watching the game, primed to jump in, take it over, and turn it into the type of place that they wanted. So.. yeah, I gave up totally on Star Citizen at that point, even before it became the massive money sink and vapor from which it threatens never to arise.

RE: Eve Online Massive War - Caspar - 04-01-2016

I love these stories. Sometimes I wish I had the time to play EVE... Or the patience! Last story of this sort I read about, someone accidentally jumped to an enemy player faction's territories and ended up dragging both factions into a full scale war.

RE: Eve Online Massive War - Valence - 04-01-2016

(04-01-2016, 10:26 AM)Telluride Wrote: EVE Online still serves a very good purpose:

It keeps some of the worst examples of scum, villainy and dedicated douchebaggery all in one game and out of the rest of online entertainment.  May EVE continue to prosper and serve this secretly noble purpose.

I played it for about a year or so, and I enjoyed developing a pilot, getting new ships, and becoming a miner. I still have good memories of some of the mining expeditions I did with some of the local gaming crew. But the hate that its more gritty community gets is, I'm sad to say, entirely and completely deserved, and I had to leave it.

There is probably a bit of that, and also another bit that I think takes a pretty important place as well in the equation: Eve is a pvp game first and foremost. Even when being a highsec miner or pve-er you still have a risk to get ganked. Or screwed over the market, or by an player scam, theft, sabotaged, or just infiltrated and your corp suddenly turns into a dramabomb.

In any case, being a pvp MMO changes everything radically. Tension between players will rise in a competitive environment. People will trashtalk each other, to the point of using it as a weapon in itself. It's not something especially proper to Eve at that point, but it comes with most pvp MMOs or large scale pvp games.

Then yes, testosterone filled ideals and the cult of "drinking tears" is not proper to Eve either, but it certainly has been magnified in the game. Fucking up your neighbor and everyone else is the way to go by default. Eve has its own peculiar obnoxious mentality, and goon is probably no stranger to the game getting more and more obnoxious over the years. It was certainly different when I started playing in late 2006.

Also, to their defense, I have to admit that outside of the game, except in a few dire cases and slippery slopes, players are usually super friendly/buddy to each other, weirdly enough. Like, what happens ingame, happens ingame.

RE: Eve Online Massive War - Seriphyn - 04-01-2016

Five year veteran here. Confirming its toxic atmosphere among the playerbase, but the game on its own is commendable.

RE: Eve Online Massive War - Caspar - 04-04-2016

This is such an amazing game to get so many people playing together totally impromptu. Though I can see how it would make people testy, seeing as it seems to have some real monetary investment and time investment involved. That sheer scale of playerbase is something I dream of for the online games I've enjoyed, but never got to experience.