Hydaelyn Role-Players
3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates (/showthread.php?tid=16114)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Leggerless - 09-15-2016

I still wonder why housing isn't limited to one per server rather than one per character.

Maybe it would alleviate a lot of problems? Not really sure.

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-15-2016

(09-15-2016, 04:17 PM)Leggerless Wrote: I still wonder why housing isn't limited to one per server rather than one per character.

Maybe it would alleviate a lot of problems? Not really sure.

SE already answered that. They're of the mind that all characters should be allowed to buy a house, for "RP" or other reasons. Maybe better if that could be toggled based on population, but that's probably dev work spent better elsewhere.

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Gabineaux - 09-15-2016

(09-15-2016, 11:51 AM)Graeham Wrote: I've said this before but the developers really should just acknowledge that certain realms - such as Balmung - deserve special treatment. That may seem unfair to some but...let's be honest here: Balmung is almost always going to be very busy for as long as the game exists. I believe some of the other bigger servers out there are also consistently busy.

With that in mind it makes sense to me to adjust the number of available housing instances for the consistently large servers. It'd solve many of the housing related issues and lessen the amount of time that the developers need to spend in order to try and mitigate the problems that exist.

It's probably not as simple as that, I suppose...but at this point I'm just left scratching my head at how such things are handled. A lot of content doesn't appear to be designed with the question of 'Will this work on the busiest servers?' in mind. Like that problematic Moonfire Faire quest that involved slaying Bombards that spawned as 'Free for All' kills and thus ended up having numerous players all competing over the same handful of enemies, killing them at the same time so that it took an awful lot of time for anybody to get the quest completion they were seeking.

If anything there should be free transfers OFF OF the server. I can't tell you how many people I know, who don't RP, are here for 'a friend' and HATE IT here. Just HATE IT. Do nothing but bitch about RPers and ...won't leave. 'I paid to get here, I won't pay to leave.' Dazed

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Kage - 09-15-2016

There should be more incentive than that to transfer off. Housing progression, plots. The gil limitations.

There's just no real reason to leave, especially when you have to pay to do it.

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Hyrist - 09-15-2016

If I recall correctly, relief for congested servers (as in for more housing plots/wards) is on the docket, I would assume at that point that it would mean that more apartments as well.

This was explained when things like housing item limits weren't being expanded upon and things like Mannequins were not being produced. So they have, at least in my recollection, acknowledged the population tilt problem in relation to housing, we just haven't gotten to their attempted fix for that yet.

This was to address the more widespread problem of housing - in which case I'm all for it, as this severely helped if not solved the housing problem for the vast majority of low to mid population servers.

Can't help it that Balmung is THE top server. Tis the price we pay for our thriving community, I suppose.

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - AlionLucada - 09-17-2016

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of people on the official forums saying stuff like "if you don't want to deal with no housing you shouldn't have gone to Balmung, hurr hurr hurr".

I've been on Balmung since 2.0 launch, I'm not a recent immigrant. I shouldn't have to transfer off of the server I've been on since ARR launched because other people flooded on to it.

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Syranelle Ironleaf - 09-17-2016

I don't see why they didn't just make housing instanced, like they did in LOTRO.  When you filled up a Ward in LOTRO, another one spawned a few hours later.  It would make sure that low pop servers didn't have a bunch of empty wards and high pop servers have all the wards they need.  Everyone wins and resources aren't taxed upkeeping a bunch of empty instances on low pop servers that no one uses.

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Kilieit - 09-17-2016

It's probably because the way the code is structured server-side doesn't allow a system like that to easily be implemented.

Which, I mean... that's not a good thing. A robust system (especially in an MMO) should ideally be easy to expand on (or shrink down) for any given number of players.

But it does mean that they probably can't change the way it's done without major restructuring that would take a lot of dev time and prevent them from implementing other new features instead.

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Star Lin - 09-17-2016

Also, I think it was mention that they don't do that because of the wards having to be on all the time because of Chocobos coloring and Gardening.  But it's been a while so I'm not sure it I heard right or not.

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Dis - 09-17-2016

Another good system that they might consider implementing is separating Stabling and Housing, to allow for an instanced housing system. We've seen that gardens can be done in an interior setting, so it might be possible to tie the system together in another way (keeping in mind that I know nothing about the back-end side of the coding they have to do).

Rift and EQ2 had instanced housing, and both generated wards as needed, and each 'housing' was considered separate. At the same time, you had a limit to the number of houses you could own without unlocking more (4 in Rift, and I don't recall the limit in EQ), both both allowed for a much more robust housing system. At the same time, in those systems you could literally build a house from scratch, so obviously they might not be able to apply things the way they have to in XIV.

I'd love to see a more robust housing system in general, but I don't know of anyone who would be eager for them to pull resources away from other developments in order to work on a revamp. All they can do at this point I think is continue to work on the system they have and try to find a way to refine it to do what they want it to do.

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Guy Tower - 09-21-2016

There is one thing I don't understand about the upcoming apartments - can I or can I not invite other players to my apartment? I do not mean making them co-owners of the place, just allowing them to hang out in my apartment whether or not (or, at least, only when) I am inside.

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Kilieit - 09-21-2016

Yes, you should be able to. It looks like they work the same way as private chambers - guest access can be granted but you cannot co-own it with anyone.

I think there could be plenty improvements given to the guest access settings, but there are dozens of more important improvements to housing in general that I'd rather be made first. x_x

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Skae - 09-21-2016

(09-17-2016, 03:26 PM)Syranelle Ironleaf Wrote: I don't see why they didn't just make housing instanced, like they did in LOTRO.  When you filled up a Ward in LOTRO, another one spawned a few hours later.  It would make sure that low pop servers didn't have a bunch of empty wards and high pop servers have all the wards they need.  Everyone wins and resources aren't taxed upkeeping a bunch of empty instances on low pop servers that no one uses.

Even in LOTRO there is only a finite number of neighbourhoods (wards) possible. Large but finite.
A few years ago the larger servers did run out of the bigger house types for sale. Solution was to make people lose the houses after a time if they did not pay the weekly upkeep. (They also made it so you could pay for up to 6 months in advance.)
That freed up lots of houses that were owned by people who no longer played the game.

If they are clever with the coding an empty instance would take up a miniscule amount of resources.

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Kage - 09-22-2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/53vzbd/game_watch_interview_with_yoship_translation/ Wrote:With the implementation of apartments, the personal demands for housing will be 100% met. Each ward has 1 apartment with 90 rooms, and we are ready to increase the number of rooms whenever we want. We designed it so 1 ward can have over 500 rooms per apartment, so it will definitely be able to cover every player. Players who already own a house can buy an apartment. We also have a chocobo stable per apartment so players who didn't have a house to feed and change the color will be able to now.

RE: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Ruran - 09-26-2016

(09-22-2016, 09:38 AM)Kage Wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/53vzbd/game_watch_interview_with_yoship_translation/ Wrote:With the implementation of apartments, the personal demands for housing will be 100% met. Each ward has 1 apartment with 90 rooms, and we are ready to increase the number of rooms whenever we want. We designed it so 1 ward can have over 500 rooms per apartment, so it will definitely be able to cover every player. Players who already own a house can buy an apartment. We also have a chocobo stable per apartment so players who didn't have a house to feed and change the color will be able to now.

Yep, that's repeated here, too:
https://m.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/53rr40/quick_summary_of_the_dengeki_and_4gamers_last/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

"Apartments:
90 people can live in an apartment per ward. They can actually have 500 people live in one apartment, but in that case there will be wards with nobody living in them, so they started with 90 so people spread out among all the wards. If that's not enough, they'll add rooms instantly."

Hopefully there's some merit to this, and that they will actually add more apartments 'instantly' if there's an issue with space.