Hydaelyn Role-Players
3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates (/showthread.php?tid=16114)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Arrelaine - 05-13-2016

Ugh I also need to buy a house in Ishgard. Probably not gonna happen the first round. Only got 7 mil. It'll probably be a year, with how they add wards. :<

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Lloyd Whitewolf - 05-13-2016

This is great news, will be buying either a large or medium house depending on if I can get a good plotHeartThumbsup

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Milloux - 05-14-2016

I'm super excited about this - part of my taking a break from the game for a few months was feeling a little disheartened after seeing those plots get freed up, only to get taken up immediately by house flippers.

I really do wish they'd put a cap on one personal house per account (give it account-wide access, maybe) to alleviate some of that.  Or something. I'm not sure what a good solution would actually be.

I just want a cozy little place for my FC to run it's clinic out of!

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Celise - 05-15-2016

Neat! The new plots'll be nice for everyone looking for one.

And Ishgard apartments sound cool! That could be a great thing for a lot of people; I know I'd be interested in one.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Kilieit - 05-15-2016

(05-14-2016, 05:04 PM)Nalette Wrote: I really do wish they'd put a cap on one personal house per account (give it account-wide access, maybe) to alleviate some of that.  Or something. I'm not sure what a good solution would actually be.

Yes please...

In general I think they need to work on the integration of alts (let me at least send mail to them! Please!) and putting them as tenants in the main's house would go a long way towards that. It's not like the housing economy really gains anything worthwhile from having extremely rich individuals essentially buying it out, versus multiple individuals holding one house each, so I don't think there'd be server-economy concerns about a change like this.

Obviously some people would still get around it by purchasing FC houses with one-man FC's, and I don't really see a way to work around that without greatly inconveniencing people who aren't doing anything wrong, but even just providing stable and garden access to alts would remove some of the desire for the relatively casual player to try and buy multiple personal houses.

Especially if they created a system whereby folks could make private rooms in personal houses which they're an appropriately-ranked tenant of (meaning someone with alts sharing their main's house could still have a "personal area" for each alt).

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - K'nahli - 05-15-2016

You wouldn't believe how many brain cells ones loses over reading such people justify house flipping as a legitimate marketing technique by saying houses are really worth what people are willing to pay for them(in other words, the desperate and rich elite).

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Virella - 05-15-2016

I wish they gtfo with housing completely, and give something alike to Wildstar >_>

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - V'aleera - 05-15-2016

Wildstar housing would be superb. Or even Rift housing.

But if they release an Ishgard housing area and continue to create new wards the issues should hopefully start to level out.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Lydia Lightfoot - 05-15-2016

The simplest solution would be to just set the server to automatically spawn a new empty ward if all houses of any one size were already bought in all other wards. Low-pop servers would end up with a small number of wards, high pop servers would have a high number of wards. 

I don't buy the excuse that this can't be done due to PS3, because a PS3 user is still only loading a given ward that they happen to personally be inside of at that time, so having a larger list of wards which exist shouldn't impact anything.

This solution would also gut the flipping market, because unless a person is really dead-set on getting a specific plot, there would always be at least one small, one medium, and one large available at all times. This solution also accommodates multiple houses per account, and even accommodates neighborhooding if players are so inclined (a cluster of friends could wait until a new ward spawns, and then all buy houses that are next to each other). 

I also don't buy the excuse of it costing too much in server infrastructure/database/etc, because the higher pop servers are where all the income is coming from anyway, so... why are we per-capita getting less services than a smaller server?

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Cynel1 - 05-15-2016

sometimes i just wonder could an apartment style housing Exist in XIV.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Gabineaux - 05-15-2016

(05-15-2016, 02:32 PM)O Wrote: The simplest solution would be to just set the server to automatically spawn a new empty ward if all houses of any one size were already bought in all other wards. Low-pop servers would end up with a small number of wards, high pop servers would have a high number of wards. 

I don't buy the excuse that this can't be done due to PS3, because a PS3 user is still only loading a given ward that they happen to personally be inside of at that time, so having a larger list of wards which exist shouldn't impact anything.

This solution would also gut the flipping market, because unless a person is really dead-set on getting a specific plot, there would always be at least one small, one medium, and one large available at all times. This solution also accommodates multiple houses per account, and even accommodates neighborhooding if players are so inclined (a cluster of friends could wait until a new ward spawns, and then all buy houses that are next to each other). 

I also don't buy the excuse of it costing too much in server infrastructure/database/etc, because the higher pop servers are where all the income is coming from anyway, so... why are we per-capita getting less services than a smaller server?

Yes, this exactly. Too bad you'd get banned/warned if you posted that on the official forums. lol.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - C'kayah Polaali - 05-15-2016

(05-15-2016, 02:32 PM)Osena Rhen Wrote: The simplest solution would be to just set the server to automatically spawn a new empty ward if all houses of any one size were already bought in all other wards. Low-pop servers would end up with a small number of wards, high pop servers would have a high number of wards. 

This, exactly! LOTRO had a similar system, where they'd spawn new wards as the old ones filled up.

There are those who defend the current housing system by arguing that the housing servers can't support more wards (which is, honestly, pretty ridiculous in this day and age). Assuming this is 100% true, you could still get nearly the same benefit by simply pooling *all* the wards in a cross-server pool, and then allocating them to servers as they fill up. Low population servers would end up with a few wards, while high population servers would have quite a bit more. It still wouldn't solve the problem entirely, but it would help mitigate it.

Housing in an MMO isn't rocket science, though. It's a solved problem, in the sense that other games have been able to enable letting anyone who can afford it buy housing.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-15-2016

(05-15-2016, 04:55 PM)Setoh Aliapoh Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 02:32 PM)O Wrote: The simplest solution would be to just set the server to automatically spawn a new empty ward if all houses of any one size were already bought in all other wards. Low-pop servers would end up with a small number of wards, high pop servers would have a high number of wards. 

This, exactly! LOTRO had a similar system, where they'd spawn new wards as the old ones filled up.

There are those who defend the current housing system by arguing that the housing servers can't support more wards (which is, honestly, pretty ridiculous in this day and age). Assuming this is 100% true, you could still get nearly the same benefit by simply pooling *all* the wards in a cross-server pool, and then allocating them to servers as they fill up. Low population servers would end up with a few wards, while high population servers would have quite a bit more. It still wouldn't solve the problem entirely, but it would help mitigate it.

Housing in an MMO isn't rocket science, though. It's a solved problem, in the sense that other games have been able to enable letting anyone who can afford it buy housing.
Honestly, I'm guessing it's a PS3 issue.

Something like some table somewhere can only hold so much data, and they can't rebuild it. It's why they have weird workarounds like adding sub-divisions instead of just increasing the number of wards. 

I get the feeling they have to like reverse engineer it every time they want to increase the number.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - C'kayah Polaali - 05-15-2016

(05-15-2016, 04:59 PM)McBeef© Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 04:55 PM)Setoh Aliapoh Wrote:

Honestly, I'm guessing it's a PS3 issue.

Something like some table somewhere can only hold so much data, and they can't rebuild it. It's why they have weird workarounds like adding sub-divisions instead of just increasing the number of wards. 

I get the feeling they have to like reverse engineer it every time they want to increase the number.

That makes no sense. There are plenty of PS3 games that provide access to all sorts of information. I worked on the PS3 version of HBO GO, and there was no problem at all with the console being able to handle large amounts of data. There was no problem at all with the ability to visualize that data, to scroll through it on the screen, to page around it, etc.

I think we're coming up with excuses for them, but realistically housing is in bad shape because SE don't care enough to make it better, and because we're willing (as a whole) to live with it the way it is. Like I said before, housing in MMOs is a solved problem.

I did a little math, in case you like math:
Show Content

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Gabineaux - 05-15-2016

MMM MATH. YES. YES. THIS. MATH. YES. I always try to say, well, look at all this money they're making. I said this about Blizzard and I've said this about SE and people look at me like I have five eyes and three noses. Maybe even a set of horns. Put $$$ they get from people literally having to pay more to play on servers like Balmung, and that adds up. Then factor in the cash shop on top of the normal sub and what have you got..?

...You got them pouring that money into FFXV, guys driving a car while jitterbug plays in the background.Laugh