Hydaelyn Role-Players
3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates (/showthread.php?tid=16114)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - C'kayah Polaali - 05-21-2016

(05-20-2016, 02:23 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 04:30 PM)Setoh Aliapoh Wrote:
(05-18-2016, 03:50 PM)McBeef© Wrote: Lol it's been a while since we've argued about housing.

-Checks list- Looks like we're due for a White Mage thread again soon.

Honestly, at this point, I'm just arguing to troll the SE defense squad. Wink

Nice saving face. Please fuck directly off and stop shitting up my thread, kthx.

Totally uncalled for, Warren.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - LiadansWhisper - 05-21-2016

(05-21-2016, 03:34 PM)Setoh Aliapoh Wrote:
(05-18-2016, 03:50 PM)McBeef© Wrote: Lol it's been a while since we've argued about housing.

Nice saving face. Please fuck directly off and stop shitting up my thread, kthx.

You know what else was uncalled for?

You trolling people with ridiculous arguments because you thought it was amusing. Wink

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - C'kayah Polaali - 05-21-2016

(05-21-2016, 03:36 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(05-21-2016, 03:34 PM)Setoh Aliapoh Wrote:

You know what else was uncalled for?

You trolling people with ridiculous arguments because you thought it was amusing. Wink

No, actually, I think SE's housing is a big problem, and I honestly wish it were fixed. I've simply gotten tired of trying to make coherent posts about it only to have my arguments torn down with ridiculous rebuttals.

But in any case, sounds like the general consensus is I'm wrong, and that it's appropriate to tell me to fuck off. I'll fuck off, then. Bye.

(05-21-2016, 03:41 PM)Setoh Aliapoh Wrote: No, actually, I think SE's housing is a big problem, and I honestly wish it were fixed. I've simply gotten tired of trying to make coherent posts about it only to have my arguments torn down with ridiculous rebuttals.

In fairness, your arguments were just as ridiculous. You don't know what they are or aren't doing, you haven't seen the code or the infrastructure, and you've never worked on a large-scale MMO (yeah, I know you said you worked on two small MMOs, but that's really not the same), yet you're making "knowledgeable" posts about all the things you think SE is doing "wrong." Without any actual knowledge. If that isn't ridiculous, I don't know what is.

Quote:But in any case, sounds like the general consensus is I'm wrong, and that it's appropriate to tell me to fuck off. I'll fuck off, then. Bye.

Goodness, I had no idea how powerful I am. That's it, I'm declaring myself the Queen of the RPC. I represent everyone.

Y'all bow down now, or I'mma put you in the bayou.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - V'aleera - 05-21-2016

(05-21-2016, 03:45 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: You don't know what they are or aren't doing

Except for all those things they tell us they are and are not doing.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Nero - 05-21-2016

Please remember to try to maintain a civil tone amongst discussions. Posts attempting to bait or "troll" users, and posts involving unnecessary aggression or insults are prohibited.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-21-2016

(05-21-2016, 03:45 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Goodness, I had no idea how powerful I am.  That's it, I'm declaring myself the Queen of the RPC.  I represent everyone.

Y'all bow down now, or I'mma put you in the bayou.
No I'm the Queen!!!

(05-21-2016, 04:06 PM)Valeera Wrote:
(05-21-2016, 03:45 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: You don't know what they are or aren't doing

Except for all those things they tell us they are and are not doing.

We know what they tell us. I guarantee you that things are both lost in translation and deliberately left out. So, no, we still don't know exactly what is going on. We still haven't seen the code or the game infrastructure. We don't actually know how the housing areas are designed to work from a programming perspective since most of it is server side, not client side.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - V'aleera - 05-21-2016

Right. But we do know that their existing housing system is incapable of meeting demand, and we know that very few, if any, other MMOs with housing features suffer similar issues.

We don't need to know what they are doing to know they are doing it wrong.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Warren Castille - 05-21-2016

I don't think anyone's pleased with how Housing works in XIV, nor is anyone insisting it's fine. We just know it's a clusterfuck on SE's end and fixing it or making it better isn't something they're spending much time on.

(05-21-2016, 05:59 PM)Valeera Wrote: Right. But we do know that their existing housing system is incapable of meeting demand, and we know that very few, if any, other MMOs with housing features suffer similar issues.

We don't need to know what they are doing to know they are doing it wrong.

No one has said that they're satisfied with the housing system as it currently works. I certainly haven't.

What I've said is that it's completely stupid and entitled to state that they're just doing it wrong when you don't even know what they're actually doing. You don't know. You don't know what the constraints are, the lattice they're working in, you don't know why they're doing the things they're doing. Don't forget that despite the changes Yoshi-P has put in place, they're still working over the base code written by the previous team.

This happens with WoW, too. Both MMOs are built on layers and layers and layers of code put down by people who likely no longer even work there. You fix one thing and it breaks two other things, because deep inside that labyrinth it's connected in ways that the current devs don't know about (but discover in fun ways!). This isn't the fault of the devs being "stupid." It's the fault of MMOs being built on these many layers of code, with things added and taken away over time. You never know what you're going to break accidentally, and there may be insurmountable limitations on what you can and can't do without completely starting over from scratch.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Kellach Woods - 05-21-2016

Literally semantics tho.

They're doing it wrong because they can't meet the demand or even make a housing system that doesn't end up fucking everyone over. Whether or not it's the best possible system and they did it very right on the technical side of things really doesn't matter when the end result on the consumer side is fucking atrocious.

I mean, I've been there, I've my name attached to a clusterfuck of a product that had massive problems at launch (and further problems down the line that have nothing to do with us). Even if I told you that my team did it right, would the consumer be satisfied with their purchase? Nah.

Sure it's insulting to get told that when you know in the back of your mind you did it in the best way possible, but arguing against that is more like "YOU SHOULD BE SAYING SOMETHING ELSE SO MY EGO AIN'T BRUISED."

(05-21-2016, 06:17 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Literally semantics tho.

They're doing it wrong because they can't meet the demand or even make a housing system that doesn't end up fucking everyone over. Whether or not it's the best possible system and they did it very right on the technical side of things really doesn't matter when the end result on the consumer side is fucking atrocious.

I mean, I've been there, I've my name attached to a clusterfuck of a product that had massive problems at launch (and further problems down the line that have nothing to do with us). Even if I told you that my team did it right, would the consumer be satisfied with their purchase? Nah.

Sure it's insulting to get told that when you know in the back of your mind you did it in the best way possible, but arguing against that is more like "YOU SHOULD BE SAYING SOMETHING ELSE SO MY EGO AIN'T BRUISED."

If you did the best you could do within the constraints of what you were able to work with, then actually, yes you did do your best, and no you didn't do anything wrong.

If you were lackadaisical and being sloppy, then sure, you did it wrong. We do not have enough information to judge that one way or another.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Kellach Woods - 05-21-2016

Fortunately 3.3 isn't there so we can't say for sure housing is fucked (for now).

But that's my point - whether they did it right or they did it wrong is completely pointless. It has absolutely no bearing on whether or not we actually like the housing system (and I'd dare say a majority here don't).

(05-21-2016, 06:31 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Fortunately 3.3 isn't there so we can't say for sure housing is fucked (for now).

But that's my point - whether they did it right or they did it wrong is completely pointless. It has absolutely no bearing on whether or not we actually like the housing system (and I'd dare say a majority here don't).

I just feel like saying, "Well, I really don't like what they did here" is different from saying, "Wow, they suck, they don't know what the fuck they are doing. You'd think their developers would know how to do their jobs!"