Hydaelyn Role-Players
Glamours, Multiple Jobs and Consistency - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Glamours, Multiple Jobs and Consistency (/showthread.php?tid=16624)

Pages: 1 2

Glamours, Multiple Jobs and Consistency - Morningstar1337 - 07-04-2016

For RPers that have more than one class, I want to know if you use the same outfits for your jobs and if not, how do you justify them IC.

A related question is if you wear armor an clothes that IC should be beyond your classes' skill level (Like wearing the Coil or CT gear, or any PvP gear despite your character's skill in the respective job being more around "Level 30" at best, more for dabblerers), and if so, how would you justify it IC, and if not, is it becuase it would be too "Special Snowflake" and mary suish to stick out from the subligars, cowls and non-metallic looking dyed armor that the NPCs of the area wear given the relevant skill level?

I assume that in those cases having more than 1 of the Zodiac Weapons, Anima Weapons and a complete set of AF gears are out of the question since they are supposed to be tied to "Job Mastery" (Or in the Anima's case being something of a prototype) and having more than one or two classes with a combination of any of those is pushing suspension of disbelief

RE: Glamours, Multiple Jobs and Consistency - Oyuu - 07-04-2016

To me, they're just... clothes? Nothing special about them or 'snowflakey' unless specifically stated. Most roleplayers I run with don't allow their in game class, job or level dictate what their character is allowed to wear. If you like it, and your character looks good in it, go for it.

RE: Glamours, Multiple Jobs and Consistency - Gegenji - 07-04-2016

A lot of the AF gear - at least the "improved" ones you could get at level 50 - are mentioned to be replicas made by Rowena's folk. Same with several of the other gear sets; they're replicas made by someone - whether it's Rowena, Garlond Ironworks, or another. So, there's usually a way out to describe how you have most of the outfits. I suppose the only ones that could raise questions are the White Mage, Black Mage, and possibly Dragoon garbs... but, again, they could simply be made in the style due to the character's personal aesthetic.

As for me, I don't actually have my characters wearing the job outfits. Chachan wears the Blacksmith AF since he is ICly a Blacksmith and the style fits well for the little Doman dude and there isn't quite the restriction on crafting/gathering AF gear from a lore standpoint. So I suppose that helps.

And even his brother, who is ICly a Scholar... doesn't wear any of the AF gear. I suppose he could, but there are so many other fun things to dress him up in and mix and match that just sticking with the AF gear seems... bland? For me, anyway. Probably because there is less weight to the Scholar outfit from an "importance" standpoint than the Dragoon or Paladin regalia.

RE: Glamours, Multiple Jobs and Consistency - Parth Makeo - 07-04-2016

So...you don't change your clothes each day or at the least swap around? All my toons have more than one attire even for their job. Like backup armor or just a change of clothes.

Also from all your other threads you seem to be Overthinking and planning a character. My best advice overall is to don't start off the gate with a million things on your character. You can't make The Thinker by simply placing the clay on a stand and slap at it. Take the advice as you RP but also RP with basic information about your character. Don't worry about the gear, don't worry about the companions, don't even worry about the weapons for now. Just focus on getting the Character out before all the other stuff.

Add on as you RP slowly bit by bit. Let it naturally progress. Overthinking will end up killing your character IMHO.

(07-04-2016, 04:08 PM)Parth Makeo Wrote: So...you don't change your clothes each day or at the least swap around? All my toons have more than one attire even for their job. Like backup armor or just a change of clothes.

Oh, I definitely do that. I have three or four "smithing" outfits for Chachan, and a few more casual ones. Plus a couple fancier outfits for balls and such, should he end up at those. I just assumed they meant just having the characters wearing the AF gear in general and its feasibility.

(07-04-2016, 04:11 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(07-04-2016, 04:08 PM)Parth Makeo Wrote: So...you don't change your clothes each day or at the least swap around? All my toons have more than one attire even for their job. Like backup armor or just a change of clothes.

Oh, I definitely do that. I have three or four "smithing" outfits for Chachan, and a few more casual ones. Plus a couple fancier outfits for balls and such, should he end up at those. I just assumed they meant just having the characters wearing the AF gear in general and its feasibility.
Yeah but i wish SE would allow more armor slots. I don't want to take up inventory space -_-

RE: Glamours, Multiple Jobs and Consistency - Morningstar1337 - 07-04-2016

Also from all your other threads you seem to be Overthinking and planning a character. My best advice overall is to don't start off the gate with a million things on your character. You can't make The Thinker by simply placing the clay on a stand and slap at it. Take the advice as you RP but also RP with basic information about your character. Don't worry about the gear, don't worry about the companions, don't even worry about the weapons for now. Just focus on getting the Character out before all the other stuff.

Add on as you RP slowly bit by bit. Let it naturally progress. Overthinking will end up killing your character IMHO.

I have several outfits for Glamour for my Jobs (even those I haven't gotten to 60 yet),

As for the overthing? Well part of the problem is that I been using this character for a couple years (an she's the only one I made) and I never RP'd in a game cue to difficulty staying in charatcer, and starting out in a server that isn't Balmung (and getting to that server is too hard or expensive IMO). For context that means she wound up becoming a big name adventurer, ended the dragonsong war stopped Bahamut, the Cloud of Darkness and other potential villains and well, I just find a bio to be overdue. The server problems combined with the bonds I made with other players also would make the server transfer a difficult choice, so I also don;t see myself RP in game soon bar whatever story choices pop up in cutscenes.

Though perhaps I should find a way to start with the (IC) boards here. At least find a story besides the canon that I use to influence my character and fill in the blanks (and address/retcon any inconsistencies I may have placed in my tenative bio or the parts of it I shared)

I think I know my next thread. Thanks

(07-04-2016, 04:21 PM)Morningstar1337 Wrote: For context that means she wound up becoming a big name adventurer, ended the dragonsong war stopped Bahamut, the Cloud of Darkness and other potential villains and well, I just find a bio to be overdue.

Technically, "everyone" did that. But that is all OOC, as all those grand things are attributed ICly to the Warrior of Light. Some folks play as though they are the (or are one of a number of) Warrior(s) of Light. However, that is not a thing you should feel you need to have. In fact, many folks don't RP having done as much as slain a Primal let alone delving into the World of Darkness.

(07-04-2016, 04:26 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(07-04-2016, 04:21 PM)Morningstar1337 Wrote: For context that means she wound up becoming a big name adventurer, ended the dragonsong war stopped Bahamut, the Cloud of Darkness and other potential villains and well, I just find a bio to be overdue.

Technically, "everyone" did that. But that is all OOC, as all those grand things are attributed ICly to the Warrior of Light. Some folks play as though they are the (or are one of a number of) Warrior(s) of Light. However, that is not a thing you should feel you need to have. In fact, many folks don't RP having done as much as slain a Primal let alone delving into the World of Darkness.

Fair enough. I actually got the basics of my Backstory down now so would making that (be it a rough or finished draft, or otherwise) in the Town Square be recommended?

RE: Glamours, Multiple Jobs and Consistency - Kilieit - 07-04-2016

For raid gear and stuff, like...

Uh, my character has a hairpin as part of some of his RP outfits that, in lore meta terms, is supposed to be a replica (or even long-lost original! It's not clear) of the hairpins worn by Ishgard's Knights Twelve. It drops from The Aery, a highly dangerous location in the Churning Mists, and is the same item the Knights are shown wearing in the subsequent cutscene. So something with a lot of heavy lore connotations.

...but the hairpin my character wears isn't that. It just looks the same in game terms. Aghurlal found it at the bottom of the bay in Limsa, probably dropped from a cargo ship importing jewellery or from some poor schmuck's luggage. It's his now. He thinks it's probably made of cheap metals anyway, and he likes how it looks. So he kept it. If someone was like "hey that's a rare historical artefact," Aghurlal would be like "haha okay if you say so, maybe I'll get it appraised then" and go on with his day.

And 99.9% of the characters I encounter aren't going to know what a Knights Twelve hairpin looks like anyway! Even if it was one in RP terms (it's not), the number of people with enough knowledge to recognise it as such is extremely slim! Maybe if I encountered someone RPing a dragon who happened to be old enough to have been there at the time, they might query it, but I can think of maybe one person on all of Balmung who might possibly fall into that category. Everyone else is just gonna go "hey, cute, a little hairpin that matches your earrings".

Same goes for, like, most high-end rewards gear. Most characters are gonna go "nice, a pretty purple top", not "isn't that from the Void Ark?". Most characters don't know what the Void Ark is, let alone that you can get clothes there, or what they look like. So it's safe to use gear that drops from there in OOC terms as something else in IC terms.

The only exception is the artefact gear you get from ARR lv50 job quests, and even then some of it is probably excusable - as Gegenji mentioned, I think the only ones I'd advise caution about using are the DRG, WHM, BLM, and I'd also say PLD sets, because the jobs they represent are either illegal (WHM, BLM) or well-established military authorities (DRG, PLD). SCH, BRD, WAR, and so forth - you can likely pass them off as regular clothes, especially if you're mixing and matching the pieces in with pieces from other sets.

(ETA: check out Virella's post on the next page about MNK AF gear, too. Also not advised to use the set in its entirety as casual-wear.)

(07-04-2016, 04:21 PM)Morningstar1337 Wrote:  For context that means she wound up becoming a big name adventurer, ended the dragonsong war stopped Bahamut, the Cloud of Darkness and other potential villains and well, I just find a bio to be overdue. 
so did like 1 million other players...but that is the questionable part about MMO-RP is that they paint your character as THE savior. as THE one.

That is why majority of us here actively avoid having our characters participate in the patch/event majorly as the sole defining reason that it happened. Sure the character can fight during the Dragonsong war or the character delved into the Crystal Tower...but because the game paints your character as the only one to be able to save the world because of the big name adventurer...

It's not a real good starting point.

Take my words with a grain of salt on this one big time...I mean it. Hate me if you wish as well...

But since you are finally starting an RP profile...It would seem FAR TOO Mary Sue if you suddenly showed up as the one who helped defeat a powerful dragon or the hierarchy of the Void. Not to say you can't help in some way, but directly fighting such forces is very grey ground in RPing...

If others would like to chime in and correct me, please do. I don't want to be enforcing rules but from past experience in wow RP and such, it really is kind of jarring if your character was the one or of a few who did the thing that about 1 million players have done with their characters.

Last time...take my words with a grain of salt. I'm trying to not enforce stuff...just wishing to warn you if you go in this direction.

(07-04-2016, 04:31 PM)Parth Makeo Wrote: But since you are finally starting an RP profile...It would seem FAR TOO Mary Sue if you suddenly showed up as the one who helped defeat a powerful dragon or the hierarchy of the Void. Not to say you can't help in some way, but directly fighting such forces is very grey ground in RPing...

I know that, this is part of the reason I want to start with getting the backstory out first (as in, what my character did before/upon emigrating to Eorzea) and then from there see if Its easier playing who is effectively a bit player in another's story (Be it another RPer or the Warrior of Light), or playing a character who is still the Warrior of Light, but starting their story in 2.0 rather than 3.3, deepening on who in the community is willing to "take me in" so to say and what their continuity is.

TBH, when you think about it, the Warrior of Light is already bordering Mary Sue territory anyway.

(07-04-2016, 04:41 PM)Morningstar1337 Wrote: TBH, when you think about it, the Warrior of Light is already bordering Mary Sue territory anyway.

There really is no "bordering" with the Warrior of Light. He basically IS a Mary Sue. He comes in and masters all the ancient professions, hangs out with all the top brass around the world, and is considered single-handedly responsible for stopping Garleans, Primals, and a thousand-year-long war by just stepping in to do so. All the while he's also made to pick up dropped coins and kill X number of critters because someone asked him nicely to.

RE: Glamours, Multiple Jobs and Consistency - Warren Castille - 07-04-2016

WoL isn't technically a Mary Sue, he's a canon character in the fiction. I mean, you could make the argument that any fictitious and destiny-bound character falls into the Mary Sue definition, but that's just nitpicking.

WoL is supposed to be the most important character in not only the world, but in the history of the world.

(07-04-2016, 04:49 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(07-04-2016, 04:41 PM)Morningstar1337 Wrote: TBH, when you think about it, the Warrior of Light is already bordering Mary Sue territory anyway.

There really is no "bordering" with the Warrior of Light. He basically IS a Mary Sue. He comes in and masters all the ancient professions, hangs out with all the top brass around the world, and is considered single-handedly responsible for stopping Garleans, Primals, and a thousand-year-long war by just stepping in to do so. All the while he's also made to pick up dropped coins and kill X number of critters because someone asked him nicely to.

That reminds me, has anyone discussed certain theories about the WoL? I feel like a "Fallen Angel" aspect and the possibility that their messiah transformed into a bane to Eorzea that must be felled would be an interesting idea for RP.