Hydaelyn Role-Players
Ninjutsus and rp - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Ninjutsus and rp (/showthread.php?tid=16860)

Ninjutsus and rp - Vincent Sarkoza - 07-31-2016

How do you see ninjutsus in the world of final fantasy and, ofcourse, for rp? Do you think rp wise its mostly restricted to what is given in game or would it still make sense lorewise if ninja rpers have some more room for creativity for their ninjutsus during rp?

RE: Ninjutsus and rp - Nodem - 07-31-2016

(07-31-2016, 09:32 AM)Vincent Sarkoza Wrote: How do you see ninjutsus in the world of final fantasy and, ofcourse, for rp? Do you think rp wise its mostly restricted to what is given in game or would it still make sense lorewise if ninja rpers have some more room for creativity for their ninjutsus during rp?

From experience, it's always best to use lore within the game to support what you're doing. Not to say your ninjutsu's have to be used in the manner described mechanicly, just saying having some form to lore to back you up helps divert the lore hounds.

Creativity is one of those things it depends how you're being creative in how people will react to it OOC. For instance, if you start summoning giant frogs and riding on their backs via ninjutsu, some people will be a little offended... If you turned your Huton into an attack wind based spell, it'd be different.

As for making a creative ninjutsu... I feel it wouldn't be disallowed. Like what kind examples do you mean for more 'creative ninjutsus'. Also Ninjas have a lot going on for it long as everybody plays their parts right. Stealth, smoke bombs, quick escape buttons, and more.

RE: Ninjutsus and rp - Vincent Sarkoza - 07-31-2016

(07-31-2016, 11:13 AM)Nodem Wrote:
(07-31-2016, 09:32 AM)Vincent Sarkoza Wrote: How do you see ninjutsus in the world of final fantasy and, ofcourse, for rp? Do you think rp wise its mostly restricted to what is given in game or would it still make sense lorewise if ninja rpers have some more room for creativity for their ninjutsus during rp?

From experience, it's always best to use lore within the game to support what you're doing. Not to say your ninjutsu's have to be used in the manner described mechanicly, just saying having some form to lore to back you up helps divert the lore hounds.

Creativity is one of those things it depends how you're being creative in how people will react to it OOC. For instance, if you start summoning giant frogs and riding on their backs via ninjutsu, some people will be a little offended... If you turned your Huton into an attack wind based spell, it'd be different.

As for making a creative ninjutsu... I feel it wouldn't be disallowed. Like what kind examples do you mean for more 'creative ninjutsus'. Also Ninjas have a lot going on for it long as everybody plays their parts right. Stealth, smoke bombs, quick escape buttons, and more.
Crestivity with ninjutsu that doesnt stray too far from the lore is what i meant yeah :) i know anything over the top like what naruto has is too much. So far ive only been manipulating what the current mechanic has like suiton into a water attack, katon fireballs etc. The furthest one ive done is just a stone slab jutsu for defence. Im curious about other peoples experiences with rping as a ninja. The way i rp my ninja is fighting using skills that complement one another, not just straight op ninjutsus so i dont cross that godmod line.

RE: Ninjutsus and rp - Alderique - 07-31-2016

Ninjutsu info is pretty vague, so I'd say there's room for some headcanon to go on. I'd say to keep them elemental, and that they are not likely to be as potent than anything a dedicated mage could cast.

RE: Ninjutsus and rp - Caspar - 07-31-2016

I think manipulating what is seen in game to creative result is something interesting and honestly I'd encourage it.

I like the idea, for instance, of NIN being able to call lightning down in a much more limited fashion, such as a tiny spark that is more subtle and can be used to detonate explosives, or a paralytic shock like a taser, or even just aiming it awry to create a massive flash of light in a dark place to blind people temporarily. These things help make the incongruity of the classic ninja ability "portfolio" that has been passed down through entertainment media for years feel more cohesive. (Works pick and choose, but there's a lot of calling thunderbolts, disappearing and replacing yourself with a log, pinning people's shadows with kunai to immobilize them, riding giant frogs, spinning piledrivers... yeah it's a pretty mixed bag.) But because there is no concrete lore, it's pretty hard to discuss how the ninjutsu themselves function.

RE: Ninjutsus and rp - Vincent Sarkoza - 07-31-2016

yeah there really isn't much lore on ninjutsus to go on unfortunately Sad. But yeah I've been keeping my ninjutsus elemental and nothing too crazy. I didn't want to go with the standard media archetype of ninjas these days and wanted to be sure that my character equally relied on usage of tools, physical attacks, and ninjutsus since i'm pretty sure that's how ninjas would best fight the other classes in FFXIV.

RE: Ninjutsus and rp - Zanther - 07-31-2016

Whole I haven't rp my Ninja as much as I'd like, been toying with the idea of infusing the Fuma Shuriken with the three basic elemental energies to make a fire, ice and lightning shuriken in attacks.

RE: Ninjutsus and rp - Gegenji - 08-01-2016

(07-31-2016, 11:13 AM)Nodem Wrote: For instance, if you start summoning giant frogs and riding on their backs via ninjutsu, some people will be a little offended...

What if you summoned fat chocobos? Chocojutsus.

Also, keep in mind that in the main NIN storyline in-game, there are other jutsus that we don't get access to as a player. A healing jutsu, and a cloning jutsu displayed in the fight with the Big Bad at... level 50, I want to say? So it's not completely out of the realm of reason that there could be other jutsus, possibly limited to a specific clan and kept as a mostly-guarded secret on how it is done. How powerful this clan jutsu can be is, ultimately, dependent on who you want to RP with.

If it's a super-powerful ability with no drawbacks, that's going to make a decent number of folks shy away - leaving you mostly with the other Big Power players. If it's a decently to very powerful ability but with some corresponding drawback (it hurts you, weakens you, are constantly hunted, etc.), it'll be more widely accepted - and could be potential RP if played right given some of the drawbacks. If it's a minor ability mostly in keeping with what's already been presented, it's quite likely most won't even bat an eyelash at it.

tl;dr: What jutsus you can use are dependent on who you're RPing with.

RE: Ninjutsus and rp - desmond28 - 08-01-2016

I inspire some additional ninjutsu from what we have in real world stories and myths. Or combining two types to form a tactic. For example a water spell and disguise can blend one in with a nearby body of water for infiltration and stealth practices. A favorite dirty trick of mine is loading the sheath to a katana with light powder that if inhaled is temporarily debilitating. A blowgun is a fun way to deliver ninjutsu-altered projectiles.

RE: Ninjutsus and rp - Nodem - 08-01-2016

(08-01-2016, 08:39 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(07-31-2016, 11:13 AM)Nodem Wrote: For instance, if you start summoning giant frogs and riding on their backs via ninjutsu, some people will be a little offended...

What if you summoned fat chocobos? Chocojutsus.

I'd laugh when it fell on their enemies head.

And it is true there are two jutsu that were displayed but, we as PC's, have no access to; Suiyaku and Fourth Mudra, which let's not lie, is basically a more badass Utsuemi then XI's was. I know my Ninja character has access to these abilities and a few 'forbidden' spells. Though you won't see her cast them as forgot to flesh them all out and such. Was more of a place-holder for when more NIN stuff came out TBH.

RE: Ninjutsus and rp - Caspar - 08-01-2016

Suiyaku just means "liquid medicine," so it's likely their equivalent of whatever Aqua Vitae potion Cid gives you in battles involving him, rather than a Jutsu.

More than the jutsu, I'm curious about how Duality works. I've wanted to know what the JP name is and if it's somehow a limited application of Fourth Mudra's power that layers your strike upon itself twice somehow by duplication.