Hydaelyn Role-Players
Kinda proud of this one... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Artisan House (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Kinda proud of this one... (/showthread.php?tid=1698)

Kinda proud of this one... - Vareal - 02-20-2013

...after not using photoshop for several months, I was surprised that I hadn't forgot how to do things. In light of the new RPC forums and AAR launch on the near horizon -not to mention the beta test next week- I decided to make a new avatar and banner. So here's what I did:

I took this picture:

Show Content

And did this to it:

Show Content

I then downloaded both the fan site kits from The Lodestone and the Eorzea font and put this together:

Show Content

Then, using a slightly different background, I made this avatar:

[Image: isaacavatar.jpg]

Again, I'm proud of myself for this one because I haven't even touched photoshop in several months. Tell me what you guys think. :3

RE: Kinda proud of this one... - Folken - 02-20-2013

I'm going to come off as a jerk here, but that's generally my M.O. around these parts.

But to be honest, it's just "meh". This is a community with a strong presence of very talented artists who contribute stunning works of original art. So all you did was overlay some colors onto the existing piece, and apparently ran it through some photoshop filters. 

So it's overall quite unimpressive to me. But uh, guess you need an avatar and sig, so more power to you I suppose.

RE: Kinda proud of this one... - Vareal - 02-20-2013

Well of course I ran it through some photoshop filters, that was the point. And excuse me if I can't draw, doesn't mean I can't share what I do.

RE: Kinda proud of this one... - Ellie - 02-20-2013

Art isn't limited to just the people who draw, of course. You can do a lot with just photoshop filters and an imagination. While I'll admit this is no Mona Lisa, it's better than most edits and recolors I see. I'm not wild about the image by itself, but I do really like the way you've incorporated it and other assets into your signature.

Here's the original image, btw. Hotlinking to stuff on Creative Uncut usually never works out well.

Show Content

RE: Kinda proud of this one... - Aysun - 02-20-2013

Combining A picture with B picture and C picture is something that some people still struggle with or have no idea how to do, and I think you did it well. So kudos on that.

As far as filters, I find less is often more, but they sure can be fun to play with. Your use of them seems pretty subtle and tasteful in my opinion.

So yea, Shipp, have to agree I think you missed the point on this one. He wasn't showing off these to impress any of the various artists here with his ability or try to show them up, merely sharing something nice looking he created in photoshop. Tongue

RE: Kinda proud of this one... - Kiljax - 02-20-2013

Even though you may not have produced the artwork yourself, the choice of colours as well as the method of integrating the two together so they don't look completely out of place was done quite well.

I find the sig to be very nice and congratulate you on a job well done.

RE: Kinda proud of this one... - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 02-20-2013

I, too, like this. I've been fiddling around with Photoshop of late, and I am very bad at meshing colors myself (which is why I have to use a lot of references.) I recently attempted to make a markered piece fit in with a cg background, so I especially appreciate how you put filters on the picture and how you fit it in with the background for your signature.

(02-20-2013, 08:20 AM)Aysun Wrote: Combining A picture with B picture and C picture is something that some people still struggle with or have no idea how to do, and I think you did it well. So kudos on that.

As far as filters, I find less is often more, but they sure can be fun to play with. Your use of them seems pretty subtle and tasteful in my opinion.

I used to have the same problem with photoshop, combining pictures and making something new with them. I thought, seeing as I hadn't used it in forever, that I would have the same problem but I was able to do it with little troubles.

To be honest, I only used 1 filter and I only used it twice. I used the artistic brush stroke on both images. For the picture of the Miqo'te, the only color I actually added was the gold. The rest was just using blacks and grays to darken certain parts.

These are the layers I used to get what you see:

[Image: screenshot20130219at838.png]

And thank you for all the compliments. :3

RE: Kinda proud of this one... - Mtoto Wamoto - 02-20-2013

Just wanted to jump in and throw in my two gil~

I like the recolor. I actually prefer the darker colors of yours to the original, tho I'd honestly prefer if the cross hatching effect was toned down a little. It detracts from the original art a bit too much in my opinion and makes it seem a little muddy. The same can be said about the banner background. However, I think it's well done given the fact that you've been neglecting Photoshop for some time. You should be proud, and as always, should strive to improve your skills. Smile

In regards to the thread itself, I'm of the personal opinion that things such as photo manipulation, retouching, and overall image editing lean more towards the 'technical' aspect of art. You still have to apply your knowledge of art theory and practice and show how well you can grasp the concepts of color, lighting, shading, and value while also ensuring you're not compromising or losing any defining detail that help support the image. I think you did a good job in that light. I've seen a lot of gaudy and tacky recolors before plastered with gimmicky filters and they always feel 'off' to me. This doesn't however and I quite enjoy it.

Lastly, it doesn't matter if you draw, paint, sculpt, or create macaroni noodle necklaces. We all start somewhere. As there are many different forms of traditional arts and mediums, there are many different forms of digital art. For example, take a look at digital matte paintings which are stock photos overlaid and blended together with traditional painting techniques to create surreal landscapes for game concept art and film back drops.
[Image: gnomon_dvd_tutorial_by_raphael_lacoste-d3a0x7w.jpg]
Video Clip

Another example are the photo manipulated screen shots from FFXIV which are beautifully done by adjusting the depth and perspective of the shot in question while using the tools in photoshop to enhance the image.
[Image: 6853389340_187f961bc7_z.jpg]

These are all examples of things derived from other original sources of work to create new pieces that stand out on their own and hold their own merit (while crediting the source material of course.)

TL;DR -
Good job and keep up the good work~ I hope you do more of these or at least break out Photoshop more often so it doesn't collect digital dust Wink

RE: Kinda proud of this one... - Nel Celestine - 02-20-2013

As a photoshop newbie, I'm really impressed with you're alterations.  Good job!

(02-20-2013, 04:30 PM)Mtoto Wamoto Wrote: TL;DR -
Good job and keep up the good work~ I hope you do more of these or at least break out Photoshop more often so it doesn't collect digital dust Wink

Thanks! Once ARR gets into full swing, I'll be doing more once I'm able to publish screen shots without the risk of having my account suspended, but I will be practicing with my own beta screen shots. Like I said, I can't really draw so this is my only avenue. Until I get some footage and throw it into Premiere. :p

@Ellie
And thanks for letting me know the link was broken and providing another.