Hydaelyn Role-Players
removed - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: removed (/showthread.php?tid=17070)

Pages: 1 2

removed - Etoile - 08-26-2016

removed

RE: Playing Characters from Other Worlds? - MaverickMissy - 08-26-2016

I think it would really depend upon who you RP with. Some people might frown upon it, considering it to be the stuff of Fanfiction.net (AKA Mary Sue territory) ... while others might actually be okay with it. 

I'd personally recommend looking for RPs that don't care about sticking to the lore, personally. Because as I've personally noticed, a number of RPs like to stick to the lore (or at most "bend" the lore). If you can't find an RP group that suits what you're looking for, then I'd just ask around for help regarding things pertaining to lore. You can also go through the storyline quests, picking up on the overall rules of the world (and the cultures within) isn't too hard after a bit.

RE: Playing Characters from Other Worlds? - Kilieit - 08-26-2016

In all honesty, I strongly recommend picking up a character native to the setting and just jumping in, both feet forward. Bringing a character from an alternative universe can quickly turn into a prop which prevents you from learning about the game setting rather than helping it. It's also something that you can't reliably assume strangers will be okay with, which limits who you can RP with, and that's never good when you're starting off in a new community.

If you pick a race you like the look/feel of, and tell us what it is, then we can probably help come up with some "quick-start" backstories that require a minimum of OOC knowledge of the lore.

Maybe someone with a sheltered upbringing, or who hasn't had much of an education; so you can have reasonable excuses to not know about this historical battle, or that far-away land, or such-and-such obscure magic term.

Learning about the world through your character and their IC interactions can be really fun, and you don't have to be from an alternative universe to let that happen. :)

RE: Playing Characters from Other Worlds? - Gharen - 08-26-2016

This really isn't unfamiliar territory and you wouldn't be the first person to want to play a character that has crossed from one world to another. It has been confirmed lore that the Final Fantasy worlds are connected, though separated by the void, Gilgamesh for instance as he's appeared in multiple titles since his introduction in Final Fantasy V is literally the same character across all of them. After having been banished to the void by Exdeath, he now has the ability to visit these other worlds, the the majority of these being simply cameos.

He is quite literally the Deadpool of Final Fantasy. If we wanted to look at promotional side quests as lore, Eorzea has been visited by the likes of characters from Final fantasy XI and XIII. Though I would defer to our resident lore maven Sounsyy.

That said, he is an extreme example. Playing as someone from lets say Warcraft, Everquest, The Lost World or something really silly like World of Darkness is likely going to illicit a negative response from most people. I think the further removed you make this character from the lore the larger the hurdles you'll make for yourself regarding the majority of RP on the server. Not that I'm saying I know what your concept is going to be.

In essence if you're going to do it, don't be terribly outlandish with it. Though you don't need a whole lot of lore background to create a character to begin with It's very easy to create an extremely basic bare bones backstory and fill in the blanks as you learn about the game.

Regardless of your decision, feel free to ask questions, lore or otherwise.

And just cause it's Gilgamesh...
[youtube]2XsQIHGSNhs[/youtube]

RE: Playing Characters from Other Worlds? - Etoile - 08-26-2016

(08-26-2016, 07:44 PM)Kilieit Wrote: Bringing a character from an alternative universe can quickly turn into a prop which prevents you from learning about the game setting rather than helping it.

Learning about the world through your character and their IC interactions can be really fun, and you don't have to be from an alternative universe to let that happen. Smile

True, except I'm not that kind of person. Tongue

I really enjoy the lore. I planned to use a homebrew campaign because the Miqo'te are eerily similar to the cat clan race of the other world we play in.... Down to worshiping a moon goddess among other details. Naturally, most of my starter lore is thus invested in the Keepers of the Moon. I've used outside lore before while gaming in a subtle fashion where names and hard setting facts aren't often given, and I found it gave the RP a fun flavor.

But I understand if a more pure setting is desired. I think you made great suggestions on how to use my own ignorance in making and playing a new character.

RE: Playing Characters from Other Worlds? - Virella - 08-26-2016

You can still be a native Miqo'te and just create their own clan traditions for said clan.

Tadaa, problem solved. You can be lore fitting, from Eorzea, and roleplaying what you want.

RE: Playing Characters from Other Worlds? - MaverickMissy - 08-26-2016

(08-26-2016, 08:32 PM)Stardust Wrote:
(08-26-2016, 07:44 PM)Kilieit Wrote: Bringing a character from an alternative universe can quickly turn into a prop which prevents you from learning about the game setting rather than helping it.

Learning about the world through your character and their IC interactions can be really fun, and you don't have to be from an alternative universe to let that happen. Smile

True, except I'm not that kind of person. Tongue

I really enjoy the lore. I planned to use a homebrew campaign because the Miqo'te are eerily similar to the cat clan race of the other world we play in.... Down to worshiping a moon goddess among other details. Naturally, most of my starter lore is thus invested in the Keepers of the Moon. I've used outside lore before while gaming in a subtle fashion where names and hard setting facts aren't often given, and I found it gave the RP a fun flavor.

But I understand if a more pure setting is desired. I think you made great suggestions on how to use my own ignorance in making and playing a new character.

The only races I can think of that even come close are the Khajiit (Elder Scrolls) and the Firran (Archage). 

But as it's been said above, a lot of people might not be privy to those ideas. Especially since bringing in a character from a world thats not related to FF isn't really lore friendly. 

Yet as previously stated, you might just need to look for peeps who'd be okay with this manner of RP.

(08-26-2016, 08:38 PM)Virella Wrote: You can still be a native Miqo'te and just create their own clan traditions for said clan.

Tadaa, problem solved. You can be lore fitting, from Eorzea, and roleplaying what you want.

Yeah! I was just thinking something along those same lines just now. It would mean dumping a bunch of lore and only using bits and pieces but I'm okay with that. Perhaps a clan that has barred almost all contact with the outside world, with my character being an overly inquisitive soul who can't go by the rules.

RE: Playing Characters from Other Worlds? - Jana - 08-26-2016

Really, as long as your Miqo'te isn't named Von Darkness or something, you can make them a native character with an outside name. (Though I've found a lot of Keeper names seem like pseudo-Middle Eastern?)

RE: Playing Characters from Other Worlds? - Caspar - 08-26-2016

(08-26-2016, 08:50 PM)Stardust Wrote:
(08-26-2016, 08:38 PM)Virella Wrote: You can still be a native Miqo'te and just create their own clan traditions for said clan.

Yeah! I was just thinking something along those same lines just now. It would mean dumping a bunch of lore and only using bits and pieces but I'm okay with that. Perhaps a clan that has barred almost all contact with the outside world, with my character being an overly inquisitive soul who can't go by the rules.
I definitely think that re-imagining your original setting concept to fit within the FFXIV world and encompass the same themes is probably your best bet for satisfaction. I've seen this done multiple times and almost always manages to make a character that fits in well enough to both scratch this itch and also mesh nicely with characters who were specifically designed to be played in FFXIV.

Lhei Bajihri (unless I decide to change it)
Stars and Moon theme on the face for some background I'm cooking up. Big Grin

[Image: fLlPuEQ.png]

RE: Playing Characters from Other Worlds? - Parvacake - 08-26-2016

Ooo so pretty!

RE: Playing Characters from Other Worlds? - Warren Castille - 08-26-2016

I think one of the (hypothetical) hurdles that cross-world characters stumble on is the fact that they're from other worlds. RP becomes viewed through the lens of "OH WOW WE DIDN'T HAVE THIS BACK IN OZ" and it can very easily overwhelm the setting you're existing in, simply because it isn't the setting you originated from.

It's a stereotype, though. Not everyone plays up the "I'm totally not from around here, let me tell you how much I'm not from around here" card. You could find a lot of success by being an outsider: Despite "adhering" to lore I have never once stated precisely where Warren was from! Then again, I'm of the mind that your background doesn't necessarily matter compared to the here-and-now.

As long as you don't place exaggerated emphasis on how you're not from this dimension, you shouldn't run into many problems. My advice would be to not play up your home world and just try to adapt to Eorzea's oddities.

RE: Playing Characters from Other Worlds? - Etoile - 08-27-2016

I agree with all those points Warren. But I decided to make my own clan lore instead of using another setting altogether....

I was thinking it would be neat to work in the fallen shards of the moon to the site of where my clan is located. Once I started researching the moon I found they'd done a whole story about the moon shards. How cool is that? Synchronization. Laugh

RE: Playing Characters from Other Worlds? - Sounsyy - 08-27-2016

(08-27-2016, 01:53 AM)Stardust Wrote: I agree with all those points Warren. But I decided to make my own clan lore instead of using another setting altogether....

I was thinking it would be neat to work in the fallen shards of the moon to the site of where my clan is located. Once I started researching the moon I found they'd done a whole story about the moon shards. How cool is that? Synchronization. Laugh

Well, I think I can help you out on the lore side of things. You can incorporate lore stuff onto your clan at your discretion!

-Race Lore Masterpost (there's a Miqo'te pull down tab)
-Lore on Hydaelyn's Twin Moons, Menphina and Dalamud
-Class & Job Lore
-Hydaelyn Geography Lore
-Eorzean Settlements Lore
-Eorzean City-State Political Structures
-Eorzean Units of Time and Measurement Lore

Hope this helps! ^^ Lemme know if you want any more lore help!