Hydaelyn Role-Players
Guild-Fate - A Meta-Plot Management System - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Guild-Fate - A Meta-Plot Management System (/showthread.php?tid=17256)

Guild-Fate - A Meta-Plot Management System - exhominem - 09-15-2016

Hello there! I'm new here, but I've been lurking about for a little bit and it seems like this is the place to be for FFXIV Roleplayers. In particular, I was struck by the work and talent that went into designing Fate-14, and as an amateur designer myself, I was inspired to work on an unofficial expansion of sorts.

Now, I should say that while I was inspired by Fate-14, this system is "system agnostic", so to speak. It's principally designed to help Free Companies or other RP Communities run effective, engaging meta-plots with an equitable distribution of creative labor.

Anywho, take a look, let me know what you think! The modules are still kind of a mess and I'm still working to improve things, but I thought it would be good to share early and often.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_yCS0wieV7EQGHcIfD8iDyeQBFb6qKPT5YfKS0CvCQk/edit?usp=sharing

RE: Guild-Fate - A Meta-Plot Management System - Verad - 09-20-2016

This is a placeholder post to say that I think this is very cool and I'm glad you've posted this. I will have more substantive commentary later.

RE: Guild-Fate - A Meta-Plot Management System - Haharomu Qiqiromu - 09-23-2016

With the fronts and all, it almost has a Dungeon World feel.  I like it.

RE: Guild-Fate - A Meta-Plot Management System - exhominem - 09-23-2016

(09-23-2016, 10:20 AM)Haharomu Qiqiromu Wrote: With the fronts and all, it almost has a Dungeon World feel.  I like it.

Thanks! I was definitely trying to emulate Dungeon World / other ApocWorld spin-offs with that. I like how those games give the players multiple directions to strike out at once, and also how they are pretty "reactive" to what the players do.

RE: Guild-Fate - A Meta-Plot Management System - Swanmay - 09-23-2016

This is really awesome and I can tell a lot of work has gone into it. It's very well designed and answers any questions that come to mind in the text itself. I feel like this could very easily work for Free Comapnies, and very large groups of RP'ers. Obviously it would be a little less effective with two RP partners, since for that it seems almost too in depth, and partners can usually coordinate pretty well. The only criticism I have is when it comes to "turns" since that seems to restrict the plot quite a bit and coud potentially cut the plot short. That being said it could also stop it from dragging, so I can see both sides of the coin.

RE: Guild-Fate - A Meta-Plot Management System - exhominem - 09-23-2016

(09-23-2016, 01:17 PM)Swanmay Wrote: This is really awesome and I can tell a lot of work has gone into it. It's very well designed and answers any questions that come to mind in the text itself. I feel like this could very easily work for Free Comapnies, and very large groups of RP'ers. Obviously it would be a little less effective with two RP partners, since for that it seems almost too in depth, and partners can usually coordinate pretty well. The only criticism I have is when it comes to "turns" since that seems to restrict the plot quite a bit and coud potentially cut the plot short. That being said it could also stop it from dragging, so I can see both sides of the coin.

Thank you so much for reading and providing feedback!

I'd be inclined to agree, without testing, it would be hard to know exactly how many "turns" a season should have.

I think I will write a "customization" section next that goes into how to adjust a turn-count depending on the desired play experience. As designed, it's set up so that the players will (on average) complete 4 of the 5 Fronts in a Season, with a break-down of approximately:

4 Events
6 Discussions
10 Scenes

(Obviously, those numbers aren't static, and only provide an assumed baseline)

It's also important to note that an overarching plot would not necessarily be resolved in one Season. In fact, it would likely be spread over Fronts in different seasons. For example:

Plot: A dragon is threatening a kingdom.
Season 1: Front: The players must discover why outlying villages are being destroyed.
Season 2: Front: The players organize local militaries and skirmishes to fight off the Dragon.
Season 3: Front: The players prepare and conduct an expedition to kill the wounded Dragon in it's lair.

RE: Guild-Fate - A Meta-Plot Management System - Verad - 10-22-2016

So this is belated, but I said I wanted to give more robust comments on this and I shall.

I think this is a really good setup for FCs that want to manage exactly how much and what their companies can do without necessarily having to worry about having a complicated system. While you refer to the Fate system at several points in the rules, it functions well as a setting-neutral piece, so players could use standard /random resolution.

Related to that, I note that you're using Fudge Dice symbols to show results in the charts, but I don't think that's necessary in the setting-neutral circumstances. A simple 1d3 will suffice just as well, and will be more easily understood by more players. That's just an editing criticism rather than a content one. I think the actual possible results from that d3 are quite well balanced.

I love the Turn system, and I'm using a version modified for my own needs in my current storyline. In that one I've made events particularly costly just to manage strain on my psyche, but have also provided more and cheaper possible uses of Turns to help regulate the amount of actions players take in their downtime. I'll let you know how it turns out!