Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hello! New to the world of FFXIV - Veteran RPer! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hello! New to the world of FFXIV - Veteran RPer! (/showthread.php?tid=17624)

Hello! New to the world of FFXIV - Veteran RPer! - Empress - 11-01-2016

Well hello there you lovely lot! It's so nice to become part of a new community and from the looks of it you all appear to be incredibly active on these boards, which is awesome!

Allow me to introduce myself! You can call me Empress or Em! (My real name is Emily)!

I've been role-playing for a very long time within several different formats, such as completely forum based and text based role-play which includes thousands of characters per post and also role-play within video games, many of the previous ones being WoW, SWTOR and AION to name a few.

Currently it would appear that I've been sucked into the world of Final Fantasy, I started a few days ago and already I'm level 33 and continuing to rise so I suppose it's safe to say that I'm already addicted!

Upon deciding to transfer my character to Balmung from a previous server, I'm looking to immerse myself in FFXIV role-play and make some new friends and people to create stories with along the way.

My current understanding on lore is limited to what I've experienced through the main quest, so right now I'm looking for a group of role-players that I can spent time with and are willing to teach me a thing or two about the world.

Thank you so much for reading my really long and probably super boring hello message! 

Toodles! =)

RE: Hello! New to the world of FFXIV - Veteran RPer! - Thunderbolt300 - 11-01-2016

Hey there Empress, and welcome aboard! Thumbsup

I can almost say with certainty that a lore expert will be by shortly to welcome you too- these forums seem to be a great place to ask any questions you might have. If you can find a copy of the Encyclopedia Eorzea, that's also a fantastic lore source. Enjoy the MSQ- I'm almost done with mine for the first time and it is an amazing ride not only in terms of lore, but also storytelling (and it goes straight up to Riker-grew-a-beard levels after level 50). It's pretty rare to find a gem like this in an MMO!

You're certainly welcome to tap me in-game if you got questions or are looking to RP. I can't claim to be an expert after only 2 months of addiction, but I'll try!

RE: Hello! New to the world of FFXIV - Veteran RPer! - Empress - 11-02-2016

Thank you for the lovely welcome thunder! I'd love to chat with you in-game whenever you have the time; it would be really nice for me to make some new friends!

I'll also certainly have a look at the wiki to brush myself up with some more wonderful lore!

Thank you again! Smile

RE: Hello! New to the world of FFXIV - Veteran RPer! - Sounsyy - 11-02-2016

Welcome to Eorzea and the RPC, Em! Hopefully I can help out on the lore front. These links should help get a good grasp on the general world building lore. If you have any more questions on something specific you're curious about feel free to ask! ^^

Eorzean Lore Starter Kit
-Racial Lore Compilation
-Class/Job Lore Compilation
-Hydaelyn Geography Lore
-Settlements in Eorzea Pre-Calamity
-Eorzean City-states' Political Structures Lore
-Eorzean Units of Time and Measurement Lore

Thanks for the links! Means I can start doing some studying into the lore! Smile

Do you know if there is anybody I could perhaps start role-playing with to get into the swing of things? In terms of FFXIV RPing in general.

RE: Hello! New to the world of FFXIV - Veteran RPer! - Thunderbolt300 - 11-02-2016

You're welcome to hit me if nothing else- I'll be on tonight after about 6 PM CST! If you're Miqo'te, I can recommend a pretty good linkshell as well for finding RP.

RE: Hello! New to the world of FFXIV - Veteran RPer! - Gegenji - 11-02-2016

(11-02-2016, 02:26 PM)Empress Wrote: Thanks for the links! Means I can start doing some studying into the lore! Smile

Do you know if there is anybody I could perhaps start role-playing with to get into the swing of things? In terms of FFXIV RPing in general.
Don't forget that you can ask if you have specific questions! Thumbsup

As for where to start... I suppose if you don't mind the wide range of potential RP partners and whatnot, there's always the Quicksand. Other than that, I'd recommend looking at the Calendar and see if there's any events that strike your fancy. Or if you're looking for straight one-on-one practice and other small situations like that, the Making Connections section of the forums is all about people looking for other folks to RP with - you could either make your own thread or poke anyone whose character interests you!

(11-02-2016, 03:01 PM)Thunderbolt300 Wrote: You're welcome to hit me if nothing else- I'll be on tonight after about 6 PM CST! If you're Miqo'te, I can recommend a pretty good linkshell as well for finding RP.

Awesome! I'll check later tonight to see if you are online and I'll send you a message! And yes I am Miqo'te so if you could link me in with some other people that would be great! Big Grin

(11-02-2016, 03:05 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Don't forget that you can ask if you have specific questions! Thumbsup

As for where to start... I suppose if you don't mind the wide range of potential RP partners and whatnot, there's always the Quicksand. Other than that, I'd recommend looking at the Calendar and see if there's any events that strike your fancy. Or if you're looking for straight one-on-one practice and other small situations like that, the Making Connections section of the forums is all about people looking for other folks to RP with - you could either make your own thread or poke anyone whose character interests you!

I've actually been floating around the Quicksand recently to involve myself in the RP style of the game, it's been nice to interact with some people and see their own style of RP chatter, I'm finding it hard to keep track of conversations when there is so many other people around but I suppose i'll get used to it! 

Thank you for the information on seeking 1x1 partners on the forums, I'll definitely take a look at it myself! If I have any questions I'll be sure to asks! Smile

RE: Hello! New to the world of FFXIV - Veteran RPer! - Thunderbolt300 - 11-02-2016

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=17424

I'd strongly recommend joining in on this one- it's easy to miss since it's not in the Linkshells forum, but rather in the Making Connections. It caters pretty strongly to Miqo'te in general, but there's a good helping of Au Ra as well. This has been one of the best places (I've found) for getting into RP and arranging meetups with characters. It's a pretty inclusive group overall and there's usually stuff happening nightly. 

One thing I will mention that took me a little off-guard about the FFXIV community is how strongly Discord is leveraged, so you'll want to get familiar with that if you haven't already. Most of the Linkshells and even FC's have their own Discords for communication outside of the game, and 'ShroudLife' is no exception there. It's a good place to ask questions, create connections and work on collaboration. Voice chat is barely utilized so if you're not comfortable with that, it's no sweat! Surprisingly, Discord seems to be leveraged almost to the point of excluding in-game channels at times too (since those not online can take part still too).

(11-02-2016, 04:01 PM)Thunderbolt300 Wrote: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=17424

I'd strongly recommend joining in on this one- it's easy to miss since it's not in the Linkshells forum, but rather in the Making Connections. It caters pretty strongly to Miqo'te in general, but there's a good helping of Au Ra as well. This has been one of the best places (I've found) for getting into RP and arranging meetups with characters. It's a pretty inclusive group overall and there's usually stuff happening nightly. 

One thing I will mention that took me a little off-guard about the FFXIV community is how strongly Discord is leveraged, so you'll want to get familiar with that if you haven't already. Most of the Linkshells and even FC's have their own Discords for communication outside of the game, and 'ShroudLife' is no exception there. It's a good place to ask questions, create connections and work on collaboration. Voice chat is barely utilized so if you're not comfortable with that, it's no sweat! Surprisingly, Discord seems to be leveraged almost to the point of excluding in-game channels at times too (since those not online can take part still too).

Interesting! I'll take a look! I also know of and use Discord regularly for video games and roleplay in general! I'll certainly join some of them and hopefully meet some new people!

I'm actually going out for a couple of hours but when I get back I'll start looking into things more and hopefully contact you in-game also!

Thanks again! Smile

RE: Hello! New to the world of FFXIV - Veteran RPer! - Faye - 11-02-2016

Hello there, welcome to Balmung! Smile I'm always glad to RP!

(11-02-2016, 06:03 PM)Faye Wrote: Hello there, welcome to Balmung! Smile I'm always glad to RP!
Hey! Thank you so much! Maybe we could RP some time? Smile

RE: Hello! New to the world of FFXIV - Veteran RPer! - SicketySix - 11-06-2016

Hey welcome to the forums and FFXIV!

If you are looking for others to RP with, feel free to look me up sometime! I will try and do the same but horrible at remembering to check!