Hydaelyn Role-Players
The White Lion's Gamble; Bi-Weekly, Fridays 8 PM EST! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+---- Forum: Chronicled Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: The White Lion's Gamble; Bi-Weekly, Fridays 8 PM EST! (/showthread.php?tid=17681)

Pages: 1 2

The White Lion's Gamble; Bi-Weekly, Fridays 8 PM EST! - MBajihri - 11-08-2016

[Image: usPSzlo.png]

Upon the boards of the Adventurers' Guilds within the capital cities of Eorzea, your eyes might find this flier! It is written in neat handwriting and has several pictures of cards, food, and the sigil of a White Lion on its bottom corner.

"Adventurers of Eorzea and citizens alike, our land is one wrought with countless dangers, those of which many of you face daily with a great amount of bravery and stalwart conviction. A long day's work deserves sufficient reprieve. Mhaya Bajihri and the White Lion Brigade would like to introduce to you: The White Lion's Gamble! Enjoy a night of merriment, fine food and cold drinks! Participate in a friendly Triple Triad tournament to win a variety of rewards to bring a smile to all faces, or simply relax amongst friends in the cool air and lighting of the White Lion's Tavern as talented performers amaze and entertain! Interested? Head on down to the Thirty-fifth estate of the Goblet's Ninth Ward, Fridays as night falls! (8 PM EST).''

((Hello again everybody! It's about time I revived the old card tournament with refined rules and greater levels of entertainment! Below here will be all OOC information to answer most (Hopefully all!) questions about the tournament. If I miss something, feel free to post here, PM me, or message me in-game!))

What is the White Lion's Gamble?

The White Lion's Gamble is a refined revival of an old roleplay event I used to hold bi-weekly. The title is inspired by the group Mhaya leads In-Character, and after some thought was the catchiest name I could come up with. It is also an attempt to form another type of roleplay event that may add some extra variety on Balmung. 

Thumbsup Triple Triad? Sign me up! But wait...how do you plan to make the rules equal to all?

Excellent question, large bold text! The rule set I've come up with is known as the Fairness Rule, and those who have attended previous events may find that the rules really haven't changed much. I will explain how the Fairness Rule works as well as give an example or two to clear any potential confusion below!

The Fairness Rule is a rule set that attempts to bring the highest level of equality to all competitors in the tournament regardless of how many cards each player owns. The rule itself is simple; you must play to your opponent's restriction if they cannot play the same cards that you can. 

Example 1: Mhaya owns 160 cards, and Estate Maidservant only owns 20. Mhaya would have to form a deck of one 5-star card, and four 1-star cards to accomodate Estate Maidservant.

Example 2: Mhaya owns 160 cards, and Materia Melder owns 38 cards. Mhaya would then have to form a deck of one 5-star card, and four 2-star cards to accomodate Materia Melder.

To clear up any confusion, I've come up with three names for decks that would make it easy to identify. They are:

Deck 1: 4 1-Star cards and 1 5-Star card will be known as Beginner Deck.
Deck 2: 4 2-Star cards and 1 5-Star card will be known as Intermediate Deck.
Deck 3: 4 3-Star cards and 1 5-Star card will be known as Advanced Deck.

Deck rules aside, there are a few other rules worth mentioning that will be listed below, marked with the Tonberry!

Tonberry In the White Lion's Gamble, matches will be played in a 'Best of Three' fashion. The first to claim two victories will be declared winner!

In the event of the 'Reverse' Rule, the Amalj'aa and Gaelicat card may not be played in the same hand. Statistically, you'd have two cards with two unbeatable sides and it would be very difficult to counter.  Tonberry

Down on your luck? Not to worry! Best our Bartender or Head Chef in a game of Triple Triad and your meal for the night is on the house! (Alternatively, meals are paid for purely IC; no OOC exchange of gil is expected to occur!)

Dazed  That was a lot of card rules! Onto the good stuff; what're the rewards?!

Rewards will be distributed for the top three players in a tournament, similar to the Gold Saucer's tournaments! Rewards may include but are not limited to:

Primal Weapons, Replica Allagan armor and other glamour, furniture, minions, and maybe even a mount to a lucky winner! There are many other possibilities as well, so keep your eyes peeled for the Bi-Weekly Calendar updates! Those will provide tournament rulesets, prizes, and other information.

Moogle Aside from a Card tournament, what other entertainment does the Gamble provide?

Additional entertainment at the White Lion's Gamble will be open to a variety of things! Plays and performances are the first two things to come to mind. These may be as large as a company of playwrights taking the stage for the night, or as simple as a storytelling! 

Depending on the time of year, Eorzea may have one of many amazing Holidays added to the atmosphere! Trivia contests or festive costume contests may be organized to add some extra cheer to the night!

Anyone is welcome to sign up to perform for the tournament nights! Simply get in contact with Mhaya and she will be happy to work with you to make it go as smoothly as possible!

Geek Wrap-Up and OOC information summary!

Firstly, just an OOC note on time and date: Bi-Weekly, Fridays, 8 PM Eastern Standard Time(EST)!

Secondly, I will be updating this post as time goes on to make it both easier on the eyes as well as more flashy and immersive. (I'm really bad with images on this site, halp)

Thirdly, there's only a few OOC rules I have to make mention of due to my desire to have the event run as smoothly as possible:

1: Players will check their weapons at the door. I am not against IC combat, but this would greatly disrupt the tournament and would be extremely counterproductive. Take your fights outside!

2: If you would like to spread the word of your own RP event, let Mhaya know OOC! We'll give a few moments at the end of the event, or any period where we can squeeze it in for you to do so.

3: Have fun! We're all here in Eorzea for the same thing, really. If there is something you feel Mhaya and the others can do to improve upon this event, PLEASE let us know. We want to work with the community to make this something that can be remembered fondly!

Now that the rules are over with, there's just one last thing to be added:

"Those interested in the White Lions and defending the innocent of Eorzea need only speak with Mhaya Bajihri or any of the White Lions. Even a Lion needs rest, and where one's watch ends, another's begins! For Coin and Country, and a safer Eorzea!''

(Image credit to Shoshopu!)
[Image: Kdylmnc.png]

RE: The White Lion's Gamble; the Tournament Returns! - Mystery Mitch - 11-11-2016

Kudos for hosting an event that is something unique. I'll definitely try to make it if able, but other than that I hope the event gains a lot of attention.

RE: The White Lion's Gamble; the Tournament Returns! - MBajihri - 11-11-2016

(11-11-2016, 07:50 PM)Mystery Mitch Wrote: Kudos for hosting an event that is something unique. I'll definitely try to make it if able, but other than that I hope the event gains a lot of attention.
Thank you!! I'm very excited to bring this back and I've got a lot of ideas I hope to incorporate. ^^

RE: The White Lion's Gamble; the Tournament Returns! - MBajihri - 11-15-2016

Bump! Currently looking for any IC entertainers, musicians, etc who might want to perform at the event! Shoot me a PM or /tell in-game. Smile

RE: The White Lion's Gamble; the Tournament Returns! - MBajihri - 11-17-2016

Bump! One hard drive failure later, I'm pleased to say I will be online in full for the opening tournament tomorrow! \o/

RE: The White Lion's Gamble; the Tournament Returns! - MBajihri - 11-19-2016

Thank you to everyone that came out last night! I had a wonderful time at the event and hope you all did as well! I look forward to the next tournament and will be providing fun additions as the days go along!

RE: The White Lion's Gamble; Bi-Weekly, Fridays 8 PM EST! - MBajihri - 11-25-2016

Bumping up! Mhaya is looking to take on a Scorekeeper and up to two bouncers! Feel free to message here or PM if interested in lending a hand!

RE: The White Lion's Gamble; Bi-Weekly, Fridays 8 PM EST! - MBajihri - 11-28-2016

Bump up!

RE: The White Lion's Gamble; Bi-Weekly, Fridays 8 PM EST! - MBajihri - 12-02-2016

Due to some IRL things, I'm going to have to postpone the next tournament until next time! I am sorry for the short notice, and will be bringing some amazing surprises to enhance the event by then!

RE: The White Lion's Gamble; Bi-Weekly, Fridays 8 PM EST! - MBajihri - 12-09-2016

Bump!!

RE: The White Lion's Gamble; Bi-Weekly, Fridays 8 PM EST! - MBajihri - 12-16-2016

STARLIGHT BUMP.

RE: The White Lion's Gamble; Bi-Weekly, Fridays 8 PM EST! - MBajihri - 12-20-2016

Bump! Looking forward to testing out our elimination style for next tournament!

RE: The White Lion's Gamble; Bi-Weekly, Fridays 8 PM EST! - MBajihri - 12-28-2016

Bumping up! Tournament this Friday, same time same place!

RE: The White Lion's Gamble; Bi-Weekly, Fridays 8 PM EST! - MBajihri - 12-30-2016

Been going through a rough patch this week! Due to that, I have sadly forgotten about my own event. I'll be rescheduling for the next scheduled date, and apologize for any inconveniences!

RE: The White Lion's Gamble; Bi-Weekly, Fridays 8 PM EST! - MBajihri - 01-05-2017

Bump!