Hydaelyn Role-Players
Miqo'te physiology - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Miqo'te physiology (/showthread.php?tid=17701)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Miqo'te physiology - Kilieit - 11-10-2016

(11-10-2016, 07:13 PM)Cecily Jisi Wrote:
(11-10-2016, 02:10 PM)Jana Wrote: A cat's tail isn't prehensile, so I doubt a miqo'te would be able to use it like a monkey either.

THEN WHAT'S THE POINT OF HAVING A TAIL?!

...would it be bad of me to just re-post the same gif I posted up-thread? xD

Nah, but seriously, it's for balance. Watch the way a cat's tail moves when they're walking along a fence:

See the way the tail flips out to counter-balance the cat's weight when it's about to fall? That's what your Miqo's tail will do.

See also, the way big cats' tails move when they run and have to suddenly change direction:

It gives greater agility when chasing prey in a flat-out sprint.

[Image: 5f74457a74.jpg]

RE: Miqo'te physiology - Lydia Lightfoot - 11-10-2016

Aside from the general stuff Sounsyy and others wrote, the one thing I'll mention (at least in my own headcanon) is that there's a difference between a "wild" miqo'te and a "domestic" miqo'te. This isn't genetic, rather just a conditional thing which you can observe in most types of animals if you compare one that's used to living a life of comforts versus one that's used to a life in nature. 

For instance, your average Ul'dah-dwelling miqo'te who hasn't really led much of a strong tribal lifestyle and doesn't do much fighting, well, they probably have fairly dulled instincts and senses. Such a miqo'te would likely still hear and smell things more keenly than a hyur, but not to a really bestial extent. Likewise, that more comfortable life probably means that miqo'te probably doesn't have quite the same physical finesse compared to more animalistic peers. The trade-off is probably cultural and educational, since a city-raised miqo'te would've likely had a lot more access to scholastic resources and more leisure time for aesthetic and social pursuits.

On the other hand, a miqo'te like Sena who spent her youth living a tribal life in Thanalan, followed by many years of living off the land, traveling, and plying her huntress skills for coin as a mercenary, it's like comparing a stray cat that lives in the woods versus a housecat. She's a predator by nature because she's had to be, her reflexes and her senses are sharp as a tack and what she lacks in book-learning and social charm she has in strength and cunning. People whom she interacts with frequently become perceptible by scent, and in other ways.

There's also perception elements which have to do specifically with those to whom a strong bond develops (small vibrations and sounds from footsteps, very faint bits of voice heard from way down the hall, the way they open and close doors, and yes, pheromonal connections). I liken it to how my cats know that I or my roommate are almost home even when the car's still down the block. I'll be sitting and suddenly they both perk up, and they get up and go hover near the front door, and about five minutes later, there's my roommate coming inside.

RE: Miqo'te physiology - Koen - 11-10-2016

(11-10-2016, 06:11 PM)Valence Wrote: I don't think Keepers are running especially faster than Seekers. Better reflexes? Maybe, very possible. But in thick woods like the Shroud, speed means absolutely nothing.

I'm not sure about that. Having to throw a spear fast enough to out-speed a prey's reflexes, or on a more basic level being able to jump out and take a prey by surprise requires a short burst of intense muscle use. Speed would be important because it's so easy for a prey to disappear back in to the vegetation, or if another predator (like some of the seemingly carnivorous plant enemies) tries to jump out at them from a tree, bush etc. they can get out of the way.

You are right though, they might not run that much faster. I'm just making a case for them being naturally better sprinters, to name one example. Overall, it'd depend vastly more on what the Miqo'te got up to in their day-to-day rather than their genetics.

RE: Miqo'te physiology - Valence - 11-11-2016

One thing miqo'te might excel at, is sheer physical strength, especially in the back muscles. Well of course, Seekers are good archers too, but considering the emphasis Keepers put on the use of the (short) bow, that basically requires strength, no matter what.

And lore doesn't really seem to take that into account, sadly. It's an annoying trope seen in most fantasy worlds, where archers somehow are the small dexterous ones, and swordsmen,  the tall and strong ones, where it should be the opposite.

Now granted, we are speaking about miqo'te, with their compact, wiry strength, using a short bow instead of a long warbow, etc etc...

RE: Miqo'te physiology - Ishra-Levanha - 11-21-2016

One cat-like trait I see a lot of people play up is dietary preference. Plenty of miqo'te love themselves some fish and meat. What I don't see as much, though I RP with Ishra for the occasional laugh, is potential food intolerance. My Moon Keeper likes milk, thinks its a fancy drink... but is lactose intolerant as many cats (and humans!) are. Another subtle feline influence is that she also doesn't have much of a taste for sweets.

RE: Miqo'te physiology - Eses Fafa - 11-22-2016

I'm just gonna go on 'human with cat ears and a tail'.

Seekers are commonly stronger while Keepers are known for being more stubborn on most occasions.

If they have feline biology in them, it would be safe to assume solely on what's seen that they have better hearing and better balance because of their tail. If you tug their tail, they will hate you because it's connected to a certain gland.

RE: Miqo'te physiology - Mia Moui - 11-22-2016

(11-21-2016, 10:03 PM)Ishra-Levanha Wrote: One cat-like trait I see a lot of people play up is dietary preference. Plenty of miqo'te love themselves some fish and meat. What I don't see as much, though I RP with Ishra for the occasional laugh, is potential food intolerance. My Moon Keeper likes milk, thinks its a fancy drink... but is lactose intolerant as many cats (and humans!) are. Another subtle feline influence is that she also doesn't have much of a taste for sweets.

Mia too doesn't see the point of sweets, finding them bland.  She prefers earthy tastes, savory things, and salty treats.  Mia eats primarily meats.  She will eat vegetables but only on occasion or when they are incorporated into something like rabbit stew.  One thing I like to play up is her confusion over pets.  The idea that many people in Eorzea seem to keep food as pets with no intention of eating them seems decidedly odd to her.  The recent fascination with aquariums is most baffling.

RE: Miqo'te physiology - Etoile - 11-22-2016

One good thing about the clans not being individually defined is that there's room for unique rp. Write your clan and your miqo'te the way you want to (within reason!).

RE: Miqo'te physiology - Mia Moui - 11-22-2016

(11-10-2016, 06:06 PM)insertWINhere Wrote: The differences in muscles is partricular awesome, I hadn't evne thought of that. How Keeper's might be more the abush predators who know, and seekers more the lines of early humans.

I play and describe Mia, my Keeper, akin to an ambush predator.  She's not one to call out or warn of her attack.  She stalks, waits for, and then attacks, preferring to take down her prey with one swift strike.  Failing that, she's become skilled at melee combat.  While a Seeker might have more stamina for a longer fight, I feel that Keepers have more initial brute strength.  If she's not able to succeed within the first few moments of a fight, she'll have to withdraw.

I sometimes RP this in my head when doing side quests, taking extra time to stalk and wait for the NPCs to be in the right position (though in-game as a tank she's almost never in actual danger regardless of how I choose to fight).