Hydaelyn Role-Players
SE Posts More Lore - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: SE Posts More Lore (/showthread.php?tid=1777)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Noaleth - 03-13-2013

Luckily it seems most of you won't be too strict about the naming conventions Cool I'd really like my Elezen to be named Noaleth and I suppose that isn't entirely in line with the common Elezen names. Though I suppose you can pronounce it in such a way that it sounds French..ish Tongue

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Ataru - 03-13-2013

So glad I'm starting fresh so I can be all lore-correct with my naming. Besides that just... I mean... the amount of detail... I love how they do the phoneme placement breakdown for Lalafell. I love the ABB AB style for female Lalafell... so adorable! Now I'm even more torn over making a Male Miqote or Male Lalafell. Maybe I'll just have to have both and foot the extra character bill.

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Kari Illderthane - 03-14-2013

Hmm after translateing Ashkara into Miqo'te speak her name would seem to be pronounced like

A     S    H     K    A   R   A
Ah-Soo-Hah-Koo-Ah-Ruh-Ah dam thats a tounge twister.

And if I wanted it to sound like Ashkara in Miqo'te speak her name would be Axcr :/

This causes for some thinking.

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Rhostel - 03-14-2013

(03-14-2013, 09:24 AM)Ashkara Wrote: Hmm after translateing Ashkara into Miqo'te speak her name would seem to be pronounced like

A     S    H     K    A   R   A
Ah-Soo-Hah-Koo-Ah-Ruh-Ah dam thats a tounge twister.

And if I wanted it to sound like Ashkara in Miqo'te speak her name would be Axcr :/

This causes for some thinking.
No need for alarm! You've merely totally misread the guidelines! Wink

The pronunciation guidelines for letters only applies to the individual first letter before the apostrophe in Seeker first names. It's noted that everything else should be pronounced like it's English. Nothing to worry about!

Except the tonberries. Always beware the tonberries. Tonberry

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Eva - 03-14-2013

Gerik pointed this out to a few of us before:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61222-F-lhaminn?p=980189&viewfull=1#post980189

Fernehalwes Wrote:Hello guys!

The same topic was brought up in the JP forums, so the loremasters decided to make an official response.
Here is a rough translation of what it says:

------

As is indicated by the name, F'lhaminn is a member of the F (bear) Seeker of the Sun tribe. However, as many of you have pointed out, she has many physical features which are attributed to Keepers of the Moon (such as iris shape, skin color, etc). As many of you have also noticed, there have been other characters which have displayed the features of one clan, while following the naming conventions of another. This can be attributed to two factors.

One: It could merely be a genetic anomaly. Just because certain races have a tendency to display certain features (pointed ears, long legs, darker or lighter skin, soul-piercing eyes), doesn't mean that once every thousand or ten thousand births, something deviates from the rules.

Two: It could be that a parent or grandparent was of a different clan, and the features of that clan were passed down. We know for certain that F'lhaminn was raised as a Seeker of the Sun, but we would have to look further down her family tree for clues why she has the appearance of a Keeper of the Moon.

Finally, some good news for our role-players who want a little more spice in their character's history--in character creation for ARR, we'll be allowing the mixing and matching of certain features between clans, so it will be possible to create a Keeper of the Moon-like Seeker of the Sun (or vice versa).

Good news for many, I bet~  Big Grin

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Gerik - 03-14-2013

(03-12-2013, 05:15 PM)CassandraJean Wrote: I had a brief "Oh no!" moment when I saw the naming conventions, until I read over them properly and realized that, luckily, my character's name works out perfectly, I simply have to add an apostrophe. I hope they allow us to use apostrophes in game while naming our characters.

Dev just confirmed it on the lodestone forums:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61204-Lore-Naming-Conventions.-Will-we-be-able-to-include-an-apostrophe-now/page3

Fernehalwes Wrote:The whispers. The innuendo! It's driving me mad! I must put an end to this!

Apostrophes in names?

YES YOU CAN!

Big Grin

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Blade - 03-14-2013

Given that Blade Belisaire's name is actually an alias to begin with, I scarcely dodge a bullet here.

But I did change his birth name.  Aurick Demircan > Aurick Stonecraft.  ^^

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Yssen - 03-15-2013

It was figured out that Yssen and Ysa FULL Elezen names would be Yssengrimont and Ysette, respectively.

It was also figure out that there is almost no way for the characters to figure out that those are there given names. ; ;

At least, for now. Sad. Yssengrimont is such a neat sounding name too. Ah well.

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Arlon - 03-15-2013

Hmm.... If I make a new character I guess I could change the name a bit, or the history. I think "Arlon Lecarde" is ok for an Elezen name. "Lecarde" is Spanish though, not french. hmm...