Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Your thoughts on jump potions? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Your thoughts on jump potions? (/showthread.php?tid=17831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Saravahn - 12-15-2016

An issue that comes to mind (and may have been mentioned in this thread already) is if people are able to jump their alts to x level, that takes their characters out of the pool of people running dungeons. Less people in the pool, the more painful it is for truly new people to get through them.

You could argue that's what the roulette are for, but let's be honest, how many people do you think actually run leveling roulette every day (if even at all). I, personally, only do it now three test a week for the relic weekly quest.

The same idea can be applied to fates (not that there are tons of people doing them now, anyway). Everyone jumps to cap, less people doing fates.

All of that being said, omg I want jump potions for my alts.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Kilieit - 12-15-2016

(12-15-2016, 12:45 PM)Roderick Wrote: You could argue that's what the roulette are for, but let's be honest, how many people do you think actually run leveling roulette every day (if even at all). I, personally, only do it now three test a week for the relic weekly quest.

Um... lots... because it awards tomestones...

If they were having trouble with the number of people doing levelling roulette, they'd be able to boost the rewards for it at level cap, to make it more appealing.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Valence - 12-15-2016

I don't know about other people but I don't run anything else than expert... Well except trial and leveling to xp other jobs... But I'll soon be done with other jobs... 

Since they cap the top tier tomes at a punny 450 per week I don't need to run more than 5-6 experts per week. Anything else goes into leveling... Which I'lll run out of at some point.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Kilieit - 12-15-2016

I just don't think it's a simple "if A then B" case of "well then everyone would pay to be top level, and nobody would run levelling roulette any more except first-time newbies".

Roulettes (including levelling) have incentive rewards that can be adjusted as-needed if SE is worried about the number of players participating. They have tools to solve this problem that are not simply "don't implement jump potions". Wondrous Tails is an existing example of something like this (encouraging people to run old duties for currency and vanity rewards).

And it's not just newbies/people forbidden by the game from doing so who wouldn't use the potions, either - people who genuinely enjoy levelling, who rolled an alt because they want the experience of (re)playing the story, or who (assuming a WoW-style model) are too poor to spend more than the subscription cost on this game, are still going to be levelling alts the long way around.

The target audience of WoW-style jump potions is generally people who have more spare money than spare time, who want to play with their existing friends ASAP, and who would quit playing the game for boredom/loneliness if they had to spend a week or three getting to the stage where that was possible. There's lots of people who fall outside of that, and who would therefore still be doing things the old-fashioned way even if jump potions were freely purchasable with no restrictions on how many could be used per account.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Val - 12-15-2016

I'd say not to worry about people having trouble finding groups for lower level things. One of the base designs of this game is "If there aren't many people doing x, give them a reason to." Atma weapons solved the FATE problem the story mission made droves of people run Qarn when no one wanted to. If it becomes an issue, they'll make the next legendary mission require X amount of low level dungeons (like they've done once/twice already with books and light) or improve the awards, like someone mentioned earlier. While I absolutely loathe this kind of game design, it certainly can be useful for those still coming up.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Saravahn - 12-15-2016

As with Valence, outside of the relic weekly quest, expert is all I run anymore. Those tome rewards, to me and many others, aren't really worth the headache of running old, generally bring content.

Now, I'm not saying it's an end all type situation, but I imagine it is still a concern of theirs. The very fact that you guys are saying "they'll find a way to make people run it again" is evidence itself. Yes, I'm sure they would were it an issue, but that is still time and resources spent on "how do we make people want to do old boring stuff again" versus "what cool new things can we implement?" Of course, I'm aware there may well be separate teams on either project to offset the loss of resources a bit, but still.

As to the Atma fate farming bit, outside of the first month maybe... I've not really seen too many fate parties save for the occasional few in the PF. Turns out to be more of a bandaid than a fix, really. Same with the Qarn thing. So now all of the capped players have to run it one more time... a large chunk of which are likely running it with their (likely also capped) friends.

*shrug* Again, not arguing against jump potions... I personally want them. Just mentioning a possible concern.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Cassandra - 12-15-2016

To be perfectly honest, I feel the MSQ does very little to actually teach people how to play their jobs, especially given the rotation you'll eventually need for most DPS. Not to mention, with PotD, fates and general EXP boosts, getting a job up to 60 doesn't require much more than time. In fact, I had Dark Knight at 60 before I even bothered with Provoke. I just dragged it through Vanu and Gnath fates and the occasional Leveling-- basically any content where I wouldn't actually need Provoke. I learned how to play the job entirely through Youtube guides. 

As for only allowing people to use a skip potion once they already have a job at 60. That effectively defeats the purpose. People want to skip the MSQ due to the sheer amount of fetch quests, not the leveling process. Another thing to consider is by trimming quests, they devs would need to rewrite and reanimate whole scenes to maintain a cohesive narrative. Whatever work they do on ARR and Heavensward comes out of Stormblood's budget. Essentially, they'd be tweaking content most of us will never even see. 

And that's more or less my reasons for supporting a jump potion. Allow people who aren't interested in the story to play the game as they fancy and for those who are to take their time. Will it affect Duty Finder? Initially, yes. But things will inevitably sort themselves out once people who couldn't care less about improving move on to the next "big thing."

(12-02-2016, 04:16 PM)Edda Wrote: I don't think they should be a thing. I understand their purpose in countries like China, where the subscription model is different, but anywhere else - no thank you. Whether it's skipping to 50/60 or just getting a pass through MSQ, new players should have to do it all. I would be fine with a one character, one job boost ala Legion when we're six expansions deep, but we're nowhere near that point as of yet.

That being said... bypassing MSQ restrictions on alts should absolutely be a thing. Have a character that's max level and already done X amount of MSQ? Then any alts on that account should be able to waltz into Ishgard in their level one skivvies(they'll still have to level of course). I also think that should be standard, not the result of some $10 potion. But that will never happen.

FFXIV doesn't have the same luxury as WoW to wait four or six expansions. The market has long since changed and people nowadays want to consume content immediately. Most new players are not going to slog through nearly 600 quests just to access Stormblood. They'll pick up the latest MMO or move to another game genre entirely.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-15-2016

Parts of the 2.0 MSQ are horribly boring and grindy and no one should be subjected to them.

If Square doesn't allow people to skip to at least 3.0, then the game will die because no new players will want to do 10-20 hours of cutscenes and fetch quests after they hit 50 just so they can get to the cool new area and punch garleans/dragons.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - allgivenover - 12-16-2016

Well, I doubt the game would /die/ outright, but yes it could suffer.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - allgivenover - 12-16-2016

Post is in Japanese and it's a lot to translate... but from the looks at it they've thought a lot about how they're going to do this. Yoshi is not confirming it's happening I don't think, but I think they intend to and saying it's still a might is just a way to cover their ass in the unlikely case they change their minds.

Unfortunately I cannot link it here directly, but here is the reddit topic where it's being discussed.

reddit post

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Cato - 12-16-2016

It does sound like they're likely to go ahead with it based on the rough translation and the language that they've used throughout discussions regarding the item(s) in question. Despite the very mixed feedback in regards to the implementation of the cash shop, for instance, it ended up going ahead and increasing liberties have been taken with that - all in the name of things being completely optional.

I'd prefer them to be open and honest instead of giving the illusion of choice if so. They've already largely ignored the negative feedback in regards to how European players were screwed over by the recent promotion items that were much, much more readily available to American and Japanese players. So far they've done nothing of note to remedy that particular situation.

So I can't help but think that they plan to go ahead with this no matter how mixed or negative the feedback happens to be. It's not like there isn't going to be a shortage of people purchasing the item(s) in question, after all - and Square Enix are particularly keen on profit even if it has negative consequences.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Leggerless - 12-16-2016

Show Content

Edit:

Prices I saw!

Conversation factor of 118.21 Yen = 1 USD

One type of Jump Potion:
2500 Yen = 21.15 USD

Both types together:
5000 Yen = 42.30 USD

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Val - 12-16-2016

(12-16-2016, 10:57 AM)Leggerless Wrote:
Show Content

Edit:

Prices I saw!

Conversation factor of 118.21 Yen = 1 USD

One type of Jump Potion:
2500 Yen = 21.15 USD

Both types together:
5000 Yen = 42.30 USD

Those prices seem fair, honestly.  I'd like to see a straight 20/40 for it. But you're already getting a discount if you level up and it takes no time at all to go from, say, 1-20 or 1-30. Or even just hit max, then buy to skip the rest of the story content.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-16-2016

My only negative feeling about it, is that if it's really such an issue, just give new players the option to skip the MSQ for free.

Why charge someone extra money because you're realizing there are flaws in your game design.

I sort of get the logic, in that SE is missing out on a month or two of sub money when they would be leveling and doing MSQ. I still find it a little shady. Instead of saying "Oh you have to spend weeks leveling and doing quests to get to where I am so we can play together"

you'll have to say

"You have to spend another 50 dollars after you buy the game" 

It doesn't really fix the problem Yoshi-P describes, that the investment for new players can be too high, and people quit before they get to the new stuff. Now they're just replacing time with money. Basically this change only helps your rich friends play with you (unless they're giving out them free with the expansion or something).

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Max - 12-16-2016

I'd love jump potions and I've been anticipating for them.

I also think the 'No jump potions b/c XYZ won't have the skill!' and 'No jump potions b/c they need to immerse themselves in the story and world!' arguments are bogus. Some people just want to get on and play with their friends, and not suffer through a million cutscenes and countless hide-and-seek quests with moogles.
" Slay 0/5 Ixal Chieftans! "
" Gather 0/10 Moongrass! "

Completing these quests ad nauseam won't make you a better player.

And like several other games that offer jump potions, you can simply implement some sort of in-game tutorial for players that level jump.