Hydaelyn Role-Players
THM/BLM rod that looks like magitech? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: THM/BLM rod that looks like magitech? (/showthread.php?tid=17929)

THM/BLM rod that looks like magitech? - PSDuckie - 12-17-2016

My character, for reasons given in his backstory (which I really need to put on the wiki), cannot use magic.  However, one of my FC mates' character made a magitech rod that allows him to, albeit very poorly, do some casting (which is entirely thanks to the magitech rod).  Thus, I'm considering leveling THM/BLM; my question, however is this.  Is there a weapon for either THM or BLM that would look like the magitech rod that my character has?  After all, I don't want my character to be doing something that he can't do.  Thanks!

RE: THM/BLM rod that looks like magitech? - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-17-2016

Magiteck doesn't really do magic, but if you're looking for something thematically close, I'd go with Allagan weapons. Or an Ironworks one.

RE: THM/BLM rod that looks like magitech? - PSDuckie - 12-17-2016

(12-17-2016, 06:59 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Magiteck doesn't really do magic, but if you're looking for something thematically close, I'd go with Allagan weapons. Or an Ironworks one.

That's why Tyll'a can use the magitek rod, but not actual magic.  I'll have to look into what the Ironworks Magitek Rod looks like; it might be perfect for what I have in mind.  Thanks!

RE: THM/BLM rod that looks like magitech? - FreelanceWizard - 12-17-2016

I'd definitely second the Ironworks Magitek Rod. It's very, well, magitek. Smile The Allagan stuff has a rather organic appearance that may not work for your plans.

If I may, on the character concept, I'd definitely come up with cool names and magitek-sounding effects for the "spells," since while Aether is Aether, magitek engineers think in terms of Thermionic Beams, Photon Bursts, and Magitek Cannons, not Fire, Blizzard, and other elemental effects. The M-Tek Armor abilities from FF6 should be instructive. Smile

RE: THM/BLM rod that looks like magitech? - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-17-2016

The Alexandrian BLM staff looks pretty good

[Image: a7b55007831d0543e7d0961806b6c997867c73f9.jpg]

Not strictly magitech, but sort of future-tech robot looking (the little orbs spin around it) . A12s is pretty easy compared to previous raid tiers so if you like it it's pretty easy to get.

RE: THM/BLM rod that looks like magitech? - LystAP - 12-19-2016

(12-17-2016, 10:29 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: I'd definitely second the Ironworks Magitek Rod. It's very, well, magitek. Smile The Allagan stuff has a rather organic appearance that may not work for your plans.

If I may, on the character concept, I'd definitely come up with cool names and magitek-sounding effects for the "spells," since while Aether is Aether, magitek engineers think in terms of Thermionic Beams, Photon Bursts, and Magitek Cannons, not Fire, Blizzard, and other elemental effects. The M-Tek Armor abilities from FF6 should be instructive. Smile

Well, if it is a native version, it may be fine to use 'magical' terms for it; although it is entirely optional. If a magitek device uses the same thing as Fire, it may be better just to call it Fire, especially if it is intended for use by Eorzeans who may not understand what all the Garlean technical terminology means.

RE: THM/BLM rod that looks like magitech? - PSDuckie - 12-19-2016

(12-19-2016, 12:45 PM)LystAP Wrote:
(12-17-2016, 10:29 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: I'd definitely second the Ironworks Magitek Rod. It's very, well, magitek. Smile The Allagan stuff has a rather organic appearance that may not work for your plans.

Well, if it is a native version, it may be fine to use 'magical' terms for it; although it is entirely optional. If a magitek device uses the same thing as Fire, it may be better just to call it Fire, especially if it is intended for use by Eorzeans who may not understand what all the Garlean technical terminology means.

It is a native version; Tyll'a hates the Garleans (his sister died at Carteneau) and probably wouldn't use any Garlean technology.

In other related stuff, I looked at the Allagan Scepter and decided that might be a better fit for what I have in mind.