Hydaelyn Role-Players
Community Full of Cliques - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Community Full of Cliques (/showthread.php?tid=17938)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Faye - 12-19-2016

(12-19-2016, 12:38 PM)RavieRaptor Wrote: I already regret making this thread. Now I'm probably hated since people are making fun of it in the void forum. Mods please delete this thread. Thank you.

As someone posting in the Void, I can tell you that no one hates you (at least, I don't, and I doubt the others do). We find the "oh no the cliques!!" argument to be sort of silly (as we already voiced here but in a more respectful and coherent way), and we like to poke fun at things like that, but you are far from the first person to make a thread like this and nobody hates you for it. We just like to shitpost and vent in our own way.

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Nodem - 12-19-2016

(12-19-2016, 02:02 PM)Aya Wrote:
(12-19-2016, 01:50 PM)Parth Makeo Wrote: Over something as simple as stew.
Never underestimate the power of stew!  One of the world's greatest creations...

(and now I am hungry! :-D )

Or tea... Tea is great, or so says Aoi.

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Atrea - 12-19-2016

(12-19-2016, 12:38 PM)RavieRaptor Wrote: I already regret making this thread. Now I'm probably hated since people are making fun of it in the void forum. Mods please delete this thread. Thank you.

The very first thing you have to do is stop trying to please others, and stop expecting them to please you. Don't worry about if people make fun of you or what they say. That's just part of life.

I'm brand new to this game/community as well, and sure it's hard to break into an already established place where people have known each other for years. But that doesn't mean there's no room for you.  I've found -plenty- of people interested in RP with me already and I'm barely putting myself out there. 

It's not because my character's face is a certain way, the hair color is perfect or anything else visually. I just tend to be more outgoing and interact with most people who invade my space in a friendly way. Even out questing or killing mobs, sometimes a quick emote goes a very long way. Examples could be your character wiping off their weapon after a kill, having them talk to themselves with random thoughts, your character looking over a map, taking a seat on a nearby rock to catch their breath, or simply asking someone else in a quest hub if they know the way to *insert nearby town*. I met my RP partner of 8 years when he made fun of my characters dress way back when, and we're still RP'ing to this day. 

And like someone else already said, just because your character hasn't IC met the people around you, doesn't mean you shouldn't use their proper name in your emotes (as long as you aren't addressing them directly). It will catch an eye here and there and you will find people responding.

But really, stop worrying about everyone else around you and what they are doing in their preset groups. There are thousands of people on this server it seems, but it'll only take 1 or 2 to kick start your RP life. And then networking is key. So focus less on the masses, and more on the few who aren't buried in a group of people.

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Alothia - 12-19-2016

As a mod, I'm reluctant to delete this thread, because I think a lot of the advice here is sound advice.

Trust me, I feel your pain. I was a really active RPer back in 1.0. I was fairly well known, and people still know of me, but getting RP nowadays is tough.  A lot of it is due to my own schedule and shortcomings, but I understand your frustrations.

Sometimes you just need to sit down and work out what isn't working out with your characters.

Sometimes you need to find the right event to meet people at.

And sometimes, you just need to find the right person. Don't give up faith and hope that it'll happen. And don't blame everyone else. Doing stuff like that will sour people toward your character, unfortunately.

You'll find your stride eventually.

RE: Community Full of Cliques - T'errin - 12-19-2016

Like I told you last night, I hate how my part in escalating it went towards making you feel this way. Don't. You didn't do a damn thing wrong, and to hate someone over a post in a small forum would be as petty as hell. So you really have nothing to worry about.

I hope your future experiences are much more positive than this was.

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Saravahn - 12-19-2016

(12-19-2016, 09:22 AM)Valence Wrote: I think that's actually one of the true issues with the community since people (like myself) eventually close themselves off the rest of the community since experience proves that people are just rude and fickle.

I felt this was worth repeating.

Cliques exist, anyone denying it is delusional. However, cliques existing, in and of itself, is not inherently bad. They form because people enjoy the company of others with whom they've had positive experiences. They're getting what they want out of their group, so they have no need to open up their group to others.

It's akin to recruiting for companies/linkshells. Recruitment is open when more people are needed/wanted, and closed when that need/want is met (and to induct the new members into the "clique").

Good points were made on both sides of this discussion, so there's nothing to regret in regards to posting it.

My two cents... *shrugs and kicks the dead horse*

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Kellach Woods - 12-19-2016

It's nice to be all apogletic after the fact but none of you gave a shit when you tore into the person.

Also the void forum is trash.

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-19-2016

(12-19-2016, 08:28 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: It's nice to be all apogletic after the fact but none of you gave a shit when you tore into the person.

While some comments weren't particularly nice, I don't think most were "tearing into" anyone. They were quite abrasive, though. ...but that's not against site rules. The average tone of the thread hasn't really changed much throughout each of the pages.

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Zhavi - 12-19-2016

(12-19-2016, 08:28 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: It's nice to be all apogletic after the fact but none of you gave a shit when you tore into the person.

Whenever you use grand global statements, you inevitably do the forum community the disservice of blanketing over the helpful bits, without contributing to it.

When I see a lot of unhelpful things I don't agree with, I never respond to it (edit - unless I feel that I can turn it into good advice or help calm it down or neutralize it). I just try harder to be helpful. Drawing attention to negativity tends to breed more negativity and encourages a new circle to start. Contrarily, there's lots of good advice to give from numerous perspectives - even if you've already given lots of good advice.

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Warren Castille - 12-19-2016

I'm actually kind of pleased with the way the discourse shook out both here and in other threads. Dialogue about problems is a good thing, even if the tone is sometimes a bit aggressive.

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Rosehip - 12-19-2016

What are the "Void Forums"?

(12-19-2016, 08:48 PM)Rosehip Wrote: What are the "Void Forums"?

Information here. Enter at your own risk, really.

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Kellach Woods - 12-19-2016

Opt-in forum where shitposting is encouraged and the tone is far less respectful.

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-19-2016

(12-19-2016, 08:51 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:

Opt-in forum where shitposting is encouraged and the tone is far less respectful.

Shitposting isn't encouraged, but it certainly allowed. It's far more reliant on self-moderating as only our site's strictest rules are enforced. (Basically, don't do anything illegal and don't drag in people who aren't opted-in.)

It's not for the faint-hearted. And definitely not for anyone who cannot handle the possibility of being picked apart and judged. It has a handful of interesting threads, but more are well... the RPC was doing mostly fine without them. I'd rather have the shitposting done there than here, where it would need to clipped out and moderated.

For example, in the main forums, people will snipe passive-aggressively without naming names. In the Void, that kind of behavior is promptly jumped on and mocked relentlessly.