Hydaelyn Role-Players
So... that Red Mage, huh? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: So... that Red Mage, huh? (/showthread.php?tid=17994)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

So... that Red Mage, huh? - Cailean Lockwood - 12-24-2016

[Image: tumblr_oioaecSD9H1rr1o09o1_1280.png]

I am all about that Red Mage! It was my chosen jobclass back in FFXI and it has been my favourite along with Summoner since the day I found out about it! In every FF I can be a Red Mage, I am a Red Mage! Also, the whole concept of a spellcasting swordfighter is one I adore most of all.

So as soon this jobclass goes online, that will be my main!
It sounds really interesting so far, being a ranged spellcaster who can dash in to do some melee rapier damage and then flip back again. It's so incredibly stylish, and if there's one thing RDM SHOULD be about it is STYLE! Having the rapier and the magic crystal which can be combined into a staff... PURE GENIUS!!!

I can't wait to see what kind of spells they will have. Hopefully alot of enfeebling spells, some support spells and of course alot of flashy damaging spells channeled through the rapier, having alot of beautiful and stylish swordfighting.

What do you think about the Red Mage so far?
Are you excited? Anything specific you want to see RDM have?
And is it a jobclass you will main, or maybe not? And why?

Happy Holidays, everyone. ^^
This was a really good present, imo. <3

RE: So... that Red Mage, huh? - Aaron - 12-24-2016

RDM looks nice, but I can already tell it won't appeal to my playstyle dps wise (I prefer tanking anyway) or RP wise (Aaron using a staff or a rapier of all swords feels weird.)

But regardless of my personal preferences, the class looks promising and I sincerely hope it meets everyone who will main its expectations plus some ^^

RE: So... that Red Mage, huh? - Cailean Lockwood - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 08:43 PM)Aaron Wrote: RDM looks nice, but I can already tell it won't appeal to my playstyle dps wise (I prefer tanking anyway) or RP wise (Aaron using a staff or a rapier of all swords feels weird.)

But regardless of my personal preferences, the class looks promising and I sincerely hope it meets everyone who will main its expectations plus some ^^

It is definitely appealing to my playstyle, but RP wise, it would not fit Cailean. So I would either have to twist Cail a bit to make him fit or make him an alt, as I make a new character into a Red Mage.

I have my alt who's been changed into several characters... but it will most likely become my main and then RP as Cail alternatively.

Currently, my alt is Gemeaux, a Duskwight Elezen who is mainly an Arcanist, so he could ICly fit into becoming a Red Mage. So either that or I change him into a whole new character who is just mainly RDM, building up a new story around that. I have yet to decide, but I will make my decision as we learn more about RDM. ^^

RE: So... that Red Mage, huh? - Tyndles - 12-24-2016

In theory it seems pretty awesome, the spell chains to a big boom thing could be fun!  But I just need to know more about it before I can even begin to think about a character that could do it ICly, (and I'm one of the types that my main job has to match my character.  It's weird I know).

If I play it and I love it?  Then Jojo might retire.  (He's old, and Ive been playing him a while, so it might be time for a big story to wrap him up.)

We'll see though.

RE: So... that Red Mage, huh? - Heidrek - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 09:08 PM)Tyndles Wrote: In theory it seems pretty awesome, the spell chains to a big boom thing could be fun!  But I just need to know more about it before I can even begin to think about a character that could do it ICly, (and I'm one of the types that my main job has to match my character.  It's weird I know).

If I play it and I love it?  Then Jojo might retire.  (He's old, and Ive been playing him a while, so it might be time for a big story to wrap him up.)

We'll see though.

Not even weird at all. I'm wired the same way.

Red Mage is getting leveled no matter what, tho.

RE: So... that Red Mage, huh? - Cailean Lockwood - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 09:08 PM)Tyndles Wrote: In theory it seems pretty awesome, the spell chains to a big boom thing could be fun!  But I just need to know more about it before I can even begin to think about a character that could do it ICly, (and I'm one of the types that my main job has to match my character.  It's weird I know).

We'll see though.

Like Heidrek said, it's not weird at all. I too can't help but form my character around the class I choose. It might have to do with my World of Warcraft days where the essence of my Blood Elf was that he was corrupted by fel magic and was a Warlock. The old-school MMO way that one character can only be one class is stuck with me, hence why Cailean is a Machinist, though was a Rogue in the past so he also knows daggerwielding... I just can't help but have my chosen class become part of my character's RP as well.

With my future Red Mage character, I will most likely go down the path of "he's a practitioner of magic, but knows swordfighting as well, and is now learning to combine the two"... but again, it depends on what RDM lore will be in the game.

RE: So... that Red Mage, huh? - Aya - 12-24-2016

I've loved Red Mage since the moment I was introduced to the original Final Fantasy Smile

Unfortunately its entirely off the table for Aya.. but I'll play it anyway, it just won't be an aspect of her in-character self.

RE: So... that Red Mage, huh? - Heidrek - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 09:21 PM)Cailean Lockwood Wrote: The old-school MMO way that one character can only be one class is stuck with me, hence why Cailean is a Machinist, though was a Rogue in the past so he also knows daggerwielding... I just can't help but have my chosen class become part of my character's RP as well.

This habit combined with the fact that Final Fantasy is a setting where I want to play EVERYTHING has caused me no end of consternation, I can tell you that.

RE: So... that Red Mage, huh? - Nebbs - 12-24-2016

I'm thinking how it might fit with a Pirate flair, it may be just the thing!

Now to find six fingered men!

RE: So... that Red Mage, huh? - Shofie - 12-24-2016

Like a lot of folks, I'm excited to try it, but it won't be my character's IC class. It was my jam back in XI, so I'm eager to dig into it, but it's also wildly different from how it was in XI. Time will tell if it'll be my new DPS go-to class (I personally enjoy healing and tanking more than DPSing).

RE: So... that Red Mage, huh? - Juromaro - 12-24-2016

Hopefully I'll be able to come back to FFXIV for release. I doubt it though....even so RDM looks awesome.

RE: So... that Red Mage, huh? - Ryslo Suramlo - 12-24-2016

I love the Final Fantasy XI Red Mage. It was my love. Being a back up healer, doing debuffs and of course the constant cry for 'Refresh' and 'Haste'. Who doesn't love a big rimmed hat with a large feather! Though.. it not being a support class does deter me slightly I may still pick it up as my choice for DPS when I'm in the moon (and potentially utilize it for RP if the outfits are stylish ^_^) Other then that, Healer is where my Heart is.

RE: So... that Red Mage, huh? - Sylentmana - 12-25-2016

I've been screaming internally from joy and excitement ever since the announcement. I fits the style of character I've wanted to play forever now.

RE: So... that Red Mage, huh? - Virella - 12-25-2016

Really excited to see how this class works. Whether I will roll it IC? Doubtful. Ave is what she is, and so is Vi.

However I got my fourth character who's completely blank on what her class is, and can go so many ways still. Basically, I'm first and foremost going to wait for the lore before deciding to go either way.

RE: So... that Red Mage, huh? - Rosehip - 12-25-2016

I know my husband is super excited, Red Mage is exactly what he wanted, both ICly and OOCly for his character, Vallerin.

I gotta say, it does look pretty dang awesome! It's not really Raine's style, even if she is quite the lovable rogue, but I'll definitely live vicariously through Vallerin instead Big Grin