Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Long-winded 'Hello'! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: A Long-winded 'Hello'! (/showthread.php?tid=18105)

A Long-winded 'Hello'! - Mira Airaldi - 01-05-2017

Hello Hello!

First off, I'm really sorry, but I tend to get long winded when I'm excited...

FFXIV is my first MMO, but I've been playing for about a year now, on Leviathan. I found out about Balmung through my many, many hours pouring over reddit threads to figure out how to Bard and White Mage, and I've always wanted to both see it in action, and participate in it. I've been a part of forum-based roleplays for the better part of a decade, and the prospect of meshing my two favourite hobbies - FFXIV and writing - is just too much to pass up! I did some research on how to RP in Balmung, and naturally came across this website. It's been an absolute wealth of information, and I'm delightfully overwhelmed by it all.

I'm dragging along one of my best friends - who also doubles as my RP buddy and, as of three months ago, gaming friend on Leviathan - and we're altering existing character concepts from our past RP worlds to fit the Eorzean setting. Well. That's the plan, at least. We all know how characters tend to get a mind of their own and take off in another direction. We're both very, very excited for that! 

We'll be playing an adopted sibling combo, tossed out into the world like their parents had been before them. A very weird family tradition. Mira, my girl, was adopted into the Airaldi family when she was ten. Her birth parents were quiet and sarcastic, but the change to her adoptive parents, who are loud, abrasive and crude, was a massive change for her. As such, she tends to be quiet and closed-off about new people and instances, since she's never quite sure where she fits into anything. Once she figures out her place and her guidelines, she tends to adapt and act accordingly. For example, her place with her brother, Squal, is akin to 'leader'. She's the go-getter of the group, because if she doesn't do it, it won't get done. Squal tends to float through life in a daze, living the life of 'que sera sera', and is quite okay with letting Mira take the lead in most things. In fact, he seems to prefer it. She adores her brother, who helped her survive the first years of dealing with his parents, and usually doesn't mind.

Again, that's the plan anyway. We're both positive that will change, and it'll be exciting to see!

IRL, I am in the EST time zone, live in Toronto, Ontario, and I have a job that has weird hours, an incredible emotional demand. FFXIV and writing are my escapes and my stress relief. I'm really hoping to be able to immerse myself entirely, but I think to start I'll be a casual player, just until I get my bearings.

It'll be fantastic to meet you all, and I look forward to playing!

RE: A Long-winded 'Hello'! - Thunderbolt300 - 01-05-2017

Hey there, and welcome aboard to Balmung and the RPC, both of you! Thumbsup

RE: A Long-winded 'Hello'! - Deahfel - 01-05-2017

Hello and welcome to Balmung! That is awesome that you already have a friend you brought along who is familiar with you and your RP style. Your character concepts sound good and I think you will have a lot of fun with MMO RP. Since you are somewhat bringing an established character over and enjoy writing you may want to look at setting that character up a Wiki or Tumblr page for others to get to know your character while giving you another creative outlet.

If you are looking for someone to RP with you can always send me a tell or stop by Gridania to say hi. A great starting point would be to check out the event calendar and see if any of those sound like something you would enjoy.

Hope to see you in game!

RE: A Long-winded 'Hello'! - Roen - 01-05-2017

Welcome to Balmung!

I too was on Leviathan when I started this game, but after realizing there was an unofficial RP server, I hopped over and the rest was history.

It is definitely fantastic that you also brought a friend with you, having a character family connection is an excellent start.

I hope to hear about your character's adventures soon!

RE: A Long-winded 'Hello'! - Aya - 01-05-2017

What a lovely introduction!  Welcome to the wild world of Balmung, and the RPC! :-D 

I hope you find it as amazing as I do!

RE: A Long-winded 'Hello'! - Leggerless - 01-05-2017

Hello there! Another transfer into Balmung from a different server as well.

Originally I started out on Adamantoise, then went to Sargatanas, and finally settled on Balmung. Bonus to you for having a friend you're bringing along too!

Anyways, welcome to one of the largest RP communities I think you'll see... ever, honestly. I'd even say you may not get to RP with everyone on the server Tongue

Go ahead and send me a tell at Leggerless Hanzou sometime in-game when you can, even if it isn't for RP.

RE: A Long-winded 'Hello'! - Rae Naeuri - 01-05-2017

Hello fellow new person and Torontonian!

I just joined yesterday, and I too am just getting my bearings. Just stopping in to say best of luck, and I hope to see you and your friend around.

RE: A Long-winded 'Hello'! - Ririla Rila - 01-05-2017

Hello! I just wanted to say a big welcome to the RPC! I hope you enjoy your time here and if you have any questions please ask! Woop woop!

RE: A Long-winded 'Hello'! - Syranelle Ironleaf - 01-05-2017

Hey there and welcome to Balmung!

The best place to start is with the Balmung RP Calendar and finding a few events that angle toward the kind of RP you're interested in.  Then you can start looking at other character profiles once you've found a few characters or personalities you'd like to meet.  While you're window shopping, be sure to check out the Free Company Hall or the Linkshell Hall to find Free Companies and public groups that may suit your character.

For lore questions, be sure to check out Sounsyy's Lore Compilations; she's done an amazing job with compiling a lot of the game lore into easy-to-find threads!

You're welcome to add me to your friends list; I'm a fairly busy person, both in-game and out, but I'm always happy to schedule/arrange a day to roleplay with folks!  You're also welcome to come out to my Free Company's open roleplay evening Nights on the Toll, which happens every Thursday that I'm not hosting the Gridania Story-Go-Round.

All that said, I hope you find what you're looking for and hopefully I'll see you around in-game!

RE: A Long-winded 'Hello'! - Mira Airaldi - 01-06-2017

Oh goodness, so many replies! How very sweet <3

@Thunderbolt300 - Thank you so much!

@Deahfel - I will definitely look into that wiki page! As well, when I'm on next, I'll search for you, just to say hi for now. Thanks for the advice!

@Roen -  Thank you so much! We figured it would be easier that way to get into the setting, and in our experience it always helps to have something simple like that fleshed out.

@Aya - Thank you! I'm sure I will <3

@Leggerless - That's a lot of moving! I can't imagine how strange that would be. When I was on last I felt really odd to not see the 'usual' FC tags on character names, and the heavy population...it's just a bizarre feeling! As for the RP thing, well, I'm 100% sure you're right, but it's always nice to have an impossible goal sometimes, eh?

@Rae Oryx - Oh, awesome! I've never come across another player who lives in this city! Amazing! I hope you get your bearings soon, and perhaps if you're up for it, we could try to figure it out together at some point!

@Liliro Liro - Thank you so much! I will definitely do this.

@Syranelle Ironleaf - Those are some helpful links, thank you so much! If I manage to catch you online, I'll be sure to say hello.

RE: A Long-winded 'Hello'! - Ryslo Suramlo - 01-06-2017

Oddly enough your Welcome Tag "A Long Winded Hello" caught my eye. I'm one of those dreaded paragraph typers in game and often times need to use a small - or ~ to indicate i've got more to type lol. Jesting side, Welcome to the Community. Perhaps we shall one-day run into each other (though I do hope its not literally, that could hurt considering I play a 2 foot Lalafell lol.).

RE: A Long-winded 'Hello'! - Mira Airaldi - 01-07-2017

(01-06-2017, 11:32 PM)Ryslo Suramlo Wrote: Oddly enough your Welcome Tag "A Long Winded Hello" caught my eye. I'm one of those dreaded paragraph typers in game and often times need to use a small - or ~ to indicate i've got more to type lol. Jesting side, Welcome to the Community. Perhaps we shall one-day run into each other (though I do hope its not literally, that could hurt considering I play a 2 foot Lalafell lol.).

I'm notoriously bad for that too! I'm sure that'll continue here in Eorzea...

Thanks for the welcome! I hope we run into each other in the metaphorical sense too! I love lalas (my main is a Lala, I am biased)