Hydaelyn Role-Players
Newbie here! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Newbie here! (/showthread.php?tid=18158)

Newbie here! - 9aia - 01-10-2017

Uh hiya! Not super new to FFXIV but finally decided on trying out Balmung! After RPing for years on IMs and WoW's WRA I decided to give Balmung a shot. I might have a lalafell friend join me here to make things a little less lonely in the beginning, heh.

But uh yeah! Icon's my character here. Yup, I doodled it. Duskwight. Somewhat of a delicate little thing. Fairly a WIP until I can absorb more of the lore to be comfortable. 

I'm super used to WoW's MRP system so how can you get a glance at characters? What other little things are there to know to properly/comfortably rp here in ffxiv?

RE: Newbie here! - Syranelle Ironleaf - 01-10-2017

Hey there and welcome to Balmung!

The best place to start is with the Balmung RP Calendar and finding a few events that angle toward the kind of RP you're interested in.  Then you can start looking at other character profiles once you've found a few characters or personalities you'd like to meet.  While you're window shopping, be sure to check out the Free Company Hall or the Linkshell Hall to find Free Companies and public groups that may suit your character.

For lore questions, be sure to check out Sounsyy's Lore Compilations; she's done an amazing job with compiling a lot of the game lore into easy-to-find threads!

You're welcome to add me to your friends list; I'm a fairly busy person, both in-game and out, but I'm always happy to schedule/arrange a day to roleplay with folks!  You're also welcome to come out to my Free Company's open roleplay evening Nights on the Toll, which happens every Thursday that I'm not hosting the Gridania Story-Go-Round.

All that said, I hope you find what you're looking for and hopefully I'll see you around in-game!

RE: Newbie here! - Thunderbolt300 - 01-10-2017

Hey there, and welcome aboard to Balmung! Thumbsup

There is no counterpart to XRP or MRP or any of those addons, but with that said, the game does natively support an RP tag that is visible to everyone nearby on the nameplate. This works similarly to "flagging up" for PvP in WoW, only it's for RP. In the same place you can turn this feature on and off, you can also edit a 160-character "bio" that anyone can view when examining your character. It's nowhere near as in-depth as MRP or XRP, but 160-characters is enough for a quick description, and a tinyurl link to a Wiki page. 

So, no addons... but we do get native RP support!

RE: Newbie here! - Faye - 01-11-2017

Hello there, welcome to Balmung! Big Grin Your art is great! Sadly there's no sort of RP extensions here, but as mentioned, there is a "Roleplaying" status that people set. Some use it to show that they are role-players in general, while others reserve it for when they are currently IC/RPing. You can also check a character's search info (done by searching a character's name) where many people have a small blurb about their character or their RP, sometimes with a tinyurl to their character's wiki or tumblr. If nothing else, if you wanna learn about someone's character, there's a chance they have a wiki here on the RPC if you want to search their name in the wiki section.

RE: Newbie here! - Deahfel - 01-11-2017

Hello and welcome to the RPC!

RE: Newbie here! - Ririla Rila - 01-11-2017

Hello! Big welcome to the RPC from us criminals! *tips hat*