Hydaelyn Role-Players
Where a complicated noble character fits in - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Where a complicated noble character fits in (/showthread.php?tid=18479)

Where a complicated noble character fits in - luxemas - 02-05-2017

Alrighty, so I'm bringing to light a character of mine for XIV (technically an older character but one who I feel their concept and personality would fit perfectly into XIV's world)

However, there's a lot of details I'm trying to sort out in how to make this character work and fit into the (for a lack of better terms) "rules" of this world.

The basic concept is they're the bastard son of a Hyur merchant from Ul'dah who had a bit of a fling with an Elezen sell sword that didn't stick around to much. Eventually she married into another merchant family and now my character has a couple step siblings as well as a step father. In general, I really see his family situation being positive and stable, particularly with his mother and siblings. At worst, I just see him and his step father just having a hard time connecting. But anyway.

Where I'm starting to want to make sure I'm doing stuff well is regarding how well he reacts with more peasant or even street folk of Ul'dah. I figure that despite his family, he'd probably be looked at a little more harshly among nobles being a bastard child and also being half of two races (though not nearly as cruel as Hilda had experienced in Ishgard). 

With that in mind, I see his young rebellious teenage years as being the sort that may have shown more interest in the going ons of the street happenings of Ul'dah, possibly even interest and thrill of Pearl Lane. This is where a bulk of my conceptualization is rather hazy though.

How would he be received amongst groups of that sort?
Would he do well if he went in with a more incognito approach?
Would his racial status in any way hurt or hinder that?
Would his talents in performance (he's more or less a bard in terms of class and character) in some way be beneficial to that?

Basically I just want to explore how to write and play a character who finds themselves walking betwixt the two sides of the city that influenced him growing up, and just different peoples own thoughts on the divide between groups of the city.

RE: Where a complicated noble character fits in - Sounsyy - 02-06-2017

(02-05-2017, 10:53 PM)luxemas Wrote: I figure that despite his family, he'd probably be looked at a little more harshly among nobles being a bastard child and also being half of two races (though not nearly as cruel as Hilda had experienced in Ishgard). 

In Ul'dah, wealth is weighed most heavily in the eyes of the nobility and commonfolk. Coin is a part of their religion, their culture, and their politics. Everything else is secondary. So by extension, how your character would be received depends on their financial/material standing - or at least that of his family. If he and his family are wealthy, they would enjoy the comforts of Ul'dahn nobility and likely be well received by their peers but looked upon enviously by those less fortunate.

While the product of mixed race relationships is generally taboo across Eorzea, in Ul'dah a city of Lalafell, it seems to be another issue that is secondary to your affluence. The lore book makes mention that the mixing of Plainsfolk and Dunesfolk clans is quite common there, so mixed race might not be of great consequence if it's not readily apparent. Ul'dahns have little love of Ala Mhigans and the refugee class, but even one among their number has reached the Syndicate and inspired the commonfolk being a self-made man. So if your character has money and can spin a good story that the commonfolk love, he'll go far in Ul'dahn high society.

1.0 Lodestone Wrote:So wealthy is Ul'dah that coin has become not only the city’s primary means of social stratification, but how disagreements are settled and even, in many instances, the guiding principle of its ethics. No vice is barred to those who can afford them; in fact, they’re no vice at all once paid for. Drinking, gambling, and whoring are all perfectly acceptable to anyone who can afford to indulge — in fact, even encouraged by the Order of Nald'thal. After all, what moves coin drives commerce. Even crimes can be overlooked for a substantial enough fee, provided they don’t inhibit trade: Ul'dah’s only unforgivable sin.
Alphinaud Wrote:Ul'dah is a nation infamous for the great disparity between the wealthy and the poor. The majority of the populace accepts this state of affairs because they believe that every man bears the responsibility for his own lot in life. To an Ul'dahn, money is the foremost - and some would the only - measure of a man's worth. Small wonder that the wealthiest wield the greatest influence. What then of the Ala Mhigans? They have no wealth, no power, and no worth. To the Ul'dahn way of thinking, they may as well not exist. Choosing to ignore their existence, however, is patently not an option. General Raubahn and the sultana understand this, which is why they ordered the Immortal Flames to provide the refugees aid and succor. Yet none would dispute that the expenses incurred by this policy grow by the day, with no end in sight. This has prompted more and more Ul'dahns to question their obligation to aid these worthless wanderers...

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: Where a complicated noble character fits in - Valence - 02-06-2017

As said above, money trumps everything else in Ul'dah. You just have to see the real power the Sultana holds compared to the Syndicate (which is, almost none, besides the honorifics). Nobles have to remain wealthy to keep being influential.

In short, that you a bastard son, a full blooded noble, or rich merchant or a street rat, as long as you have coin, you will be considered proportionally to the amount you can show. And probably make a lot of less fortunate people very jelly and salty.

RE: Where a complicated noble character fits in - luxemas - 02-06-2017

That does give a bit of context at least so thank you for that, I guess now I'm just trying to think how to play that and interact with others. Given dealing with those who're ready to forgive any "sin" for the right coin... like I dunno about you but that'd make me kinda hate dealing with those people, even while technically being part of that demographic. 

Now I'm considering how and what it'd be like trying to engage with those in a less well off position. How others would perceive him even if he was attempting to be sincere, and more importantly how to play out interactions with other characters who do come more from the streets of Ul'dah.

RE: Where a complicated noble character fits in - Ritsu - 02-08-2017

Aloof perhaps? Perhaps not understanding "common" folk issues. One of my characters is a well off elezen, raised in a more noble way (mother Ishgardian, father hardworking Gridania that built his wealth) . However, she kind of rebelled against what her father wanted. For some context, her mother was a black sheep in her family, sent off to marry my characters father. Her father, wants to be in that more noble world and worked toward it. Even arranging marriages for his two daughters.

Anyways, the one thing I have Ritsu do (which isn't that noticeable) She /never, never/ calls anyone Sir, Miss, Lady ect. Even if introduced as such. But that is my little bit of rich girl snob for her.

RE: Where a complicated noble character fits in - luxemas - 02-08-2017

(02-08-2017, 12:00 PM)Ritsu Knoltros Wrote: Aloof perhaps? Perhaps not understanding "common" folk issues. One of my characters is a well off elezen, raised in a more noble way (mother Ishgardian, father hardworking Gridania that built his wealth) . However, she kind of rebelled against what her father wanted. For some context, her mother was a black sheep in her family, sent off to marry my characters father. Her father, wants to be in that more noble world and worked toward it. Even arranging marriages for his two daughters.

Anyways, the one thing I have Ritsu do (which isn't that noticeable) She /never, never/ calls anyone Sir, Miss, Lady ect. Even if introduced as such. But that is my little bit of rich girl snob for her.

That's generally the direction I had in mind. I figure Aloyv (characters name btw I may as well mention) was more influenced by his mother since she was supportive of her son despite strange circumstances, so I figure she doesn't give much consideration to petty noble drama.

That said, I just feel a lot of his influence and conviction are related to the political issues facing Ul'dah: the problem of wealth distribution, the general apathy of refugees, and I figure he tries to play the game of being able to talk the talk but with a more altruistic motive than his peers.

I figure more so as an adult, he's humble enough to take criticism and frustration of the less fortunate head on rather than be defensive, particularly after some personal life experience things that happened in his youth.