Hydaelyn Role-Players
Have Questions, Need Answers - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Have Questions, Need Answers (/showthread.php?tid=18689)

Have Questions, Need Answers - Melody - 02-28-2017

Hi everyone!

Just returned to the game after a year (or so) long break and was wondering about a few things.

Show Content

#2 - Is there a proper name for a "year"? I was reading earlier today on break that a year = 12 moons, but didn't see anything that called out an alternate term for the year itself.

#3 - How have you all been? Smile

RE: Have Questions, Need Answers - Ferus - 02-28-2017

(02-28-2017, 12:28 AM)Melody Wrote: Hi everyone!

Just returned to the game after a year (or so) long break and was wondering about a few things.

Show Content

#2 - Is there a proper name for a "year"? I was reading earlier today on break that a year = 12 moons, but didn't see anything that called out an alternate term for the year itself.

#3 - How have you all been? Smile

1. Off the top of my head, I don't think explicit timeframes are given in the MSQ. Personally, I headcanon it as the same amount of time passing IRL and in-game.

2. Think they're referred to as cycles.

3. Eh, 5/10. Could be better, could be worse.

RE: Have Questions, Need Answers - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-28-2017

(02-28-2017, 12:28 AM)Melody Wrote: Hi everyone!

Show Content

Not particularly long. Maybe a few weeks? Sounsyy has a good write up based on the dev team's explanations. TLDR: There are stacked time bubbles/time compression effectively. But many RPers also RP out days as well. There is not good logistical method to rectify it.

(02-28-2017, 12:28 AM)Melody Wrote: #2 - Is there a proper name for a "year"?  I was reading earlier today on break that a year = 12 moons, but didn't see anything that called out an alternate term for the year itself.

They say years in game. A lot of RPers also use "cycle" but that's technically fanon.

(02-28-2017, 12:28 AM)Melody Wrote: #3 - How have you all been? Smile

Good! Glad to see you back as well!

edit: some time sources

Official Forums - Current-Eorzean-Timeline

Recent-ish write-up by Sounsyy with lot of references

RE: Have Questions, Need Answers - Melody - 02-28-2017

(02-28-2017, 12:30 AM)Ferus Wrote: 1. Off the top of my head, I don't think explicit timeframes are given in the MSQ. Personally, I headcanon it as the same amount of time passing IRL and in-game.

2. Think they're referred to as cycles.

3. Eh, 5/10. Could be better, could be worse.

That's kinda how I was feeling about it, but I like to make sure of things before I go around saying something wrong. >.>'

Thank you for the input!

I hope your 5 goes up to a 8 or 9 soon. ^.^

RE: Have Questions, Need Answers - Sounsyy - 02-28-2017

(02-28-2017, 12:28 AM)Melody Wrote: #1 - How much time has passed in the MSQ between then and the most current quests?

Officially, less than a year. Here's a pretty in-depth post on the timeline.

(02-28-2017, 12:28 AM)Melody Wrote: #2 - Is there a proper name for a "year"? I was reading earlier today on break that a year = 12 moons, but didn't see anything that called out an alternate term for the year itself.

Most Eorzeans just use "year." Occasionally you'll see "twelvemoon." NPCs have used a combination of "years," "summers," and "winters" to describe their age. This post has a list of Eorzean units of time and measurement that you might find helpful!

Hope this helps! ^^

edit: oh hey Franz beat me to it! lol

(02-28-2017, 12:32 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Not particularly long. Maybe a few weeks? Sounsyy has a good write up based on the dev team's explanations. TLDR: There are stacked time bubbles/time compression effectively. But many RPers also RP out days as well. There is not good logistical method to rectify it.

They say years in game. A lot of RPers also use "cycle" but that's technically fanon.

Good! Glad to see you back as well!

I forgot that Sounsyy is always the one to go to for those things. I'll have to look for that write-up, but it seems like I'm probably gonna be sticking with whatever feels more realistic. XD

Thanks for the info!

Good to see you again! >w<

(02-28-2017, 12:39 AM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 12:28 AM)Melody Wrote: #1 - How much time has passed in the MSQ between then and the most current quests?

(02-28-2017, 12:28 AM)Melody Wrote: #2 - Is there a proper name for a "year"? I was reading earlier today on break that a year = 12 moons, but didn't see anything that called out an alternate term for the year itself.

Most Eorzeans just use "year." Occasionally you'll see "twelvemoon." NPCs have used a combination of "years," "summers," and "winters" to describe their age. This post has a list of Eorzean units of time and measurement that you might find helpful!

Hope this helps! ^^

edit: oh hey Franz beat me to it! lol

Woops! Well now I don't have to go digging! Thank you Sounsyy! XD

RE: Have Questions, Need Answers - Ferus - 02-28-2017

(02-28-2017, 12:39 AM)Sounsyy Wrote:

Oh damn, I'm wrong and an idiot. This is really helpful though, thanks.

RE: Have Questions, Need Answers - Gegenji - 02-28-2017

Well there's a name I haven't seen a while. The questions got mostly answered already, so I'll just leave a "hello" and a "welcome back" here instead. Tongue

(02-28-2017, 10:18 AM)Gegenji Wrote: Well there's a name I haven't seen a while. The questions got mostly answered already, so I'll just leave a "hello" and a "welcome back" here instead. Tongue

Aw! Thank you for saying hi anyway! >w<
I've missed everybody. <3

RE: Have Questions, Need Answers - SicketySix - 03-01-2017

Highly doubt you remember me, but used to be Manasas Reed, joined y'alls FC but then had to leave because our play hours were to far off.

Either way, welcome back to the game!

RE: Have Questions, Need Answers - Videra - 03-01-2017

Hello, and welcome back to Eorzea! And the game itself, for that matter. And if you ever need help with anything along the lines of lore questions, content, etcetera, you'll probably find the best results here!

As for the last question. Eh. Nine out of ten, could be worse, certainly.

RE: Have Questions, Need Answers - Melody - 03-02-2017

(03-01-2017, 02:04 AM)Ukhoa Ohhbi Wrote: Highly doubt you remember me, but used to be Manasas Reed, joined y'alls FC but then had to leave because our play hours were to far off.

Either way, welcome back to the game!

Of course I remember Reed!! It may have been a while ago, but we were a small FC with good memories. TvT

And yeah, play hours were far off for a lot of RL-drama-ish sort of reasons. =_=
But everything is now worked out for the hell-of-a-lot better!

Thank you for saying hi. Maybe we can meet up in-game again sometime. Big Grin

RE: Have Questions, Need Answers - Melody - 03-02-2017

(03-01-2017, 02:19 AM)Videra Wrote: Hello, and welcome back to Eorzea! And the game itself, for that matter. And if you ever need help with anything along the lines of lore questions, content, etcetera, you'll probably find the best results here!

As for the last question. Eh. Nine out of ten, could be worse, certainly.

Thank you very much! It's been nice to be back. ^^
Currently I'm only lvl 52 on Melody so doubtless will be asking for help at some point or another. XD

Nine out of ten is totes not bad at all. Glad you are doing good. Smile