Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] Looking For Adventure, Antagonists, and Allies! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] Looking For Adventure, Antagonists, and Allies! (/showthread.php?tid=18723)

Looking For Adventure, Antagonists, and Allies! - Talan Yaeger - 03-02-2017

Hello, everyone!

While I have not been terrible active on this forum, I’mneither new to RP not this game. However, my life right now is in an…interesting state of flux and limbo at the moment, and I don’t think
therewill be a better time for me to feel out a new RP niche for myself.
I’m already in an RP FC, Unsung Heroes (USH), but I wouldlike to at least try and reach out to the larger community. It’s kind of ridiculous to sit in my chair, moping about my uncertainties regarding the future of my RP hobby if I’m not doing anythingabout it.Tongue

As far as RP goes, I think right now I’m looking for action,adventure, and more…purpose-driven RP than you might find just randomly stalking the Quicksand. Social RP can be loads of fun, but I general prefer it to be more about character development than small talk with people you more likely than not will never see again.

Writing-wise, I try to shoot for at least a paragraph apost, often several when a lot is happening during a scene. I do understand that writing a novella for every turn a conversation takes is not warranted or even possible, but endless one-liners will erode my fun and interest sooner or later.

I’m not sure what thecurrent status of the divide is, but some of the times I have glanced over this forum, I’ve noticed that some tend to favor something close to gritty realism in their action RPs while others embrace the more…Final Fantasy-ish interpretation of the setting with sword-beams and hapless grunts flying everywhere. I’d say that I tend more towards the latter, not that I don’t appreciate serious storylines, clever tactics, or even the use of actual martial arts in posts.

On the character front, my main and only character onBalmung is Talan Yeager…because I am incredibly creative like that. He is a powerful Dark Knight and former citizen of Ul’dah who grew up in one of the poorer families with a front row seat to just how bad things can get there if you don’t enough gil. After an…enterprising merchant decided to hike up the prices for an antidote to a disease ravaging that part of the city, Talan snapped and tried to steal some only to fall in with an elite team of revolutionary adventurers who had the same idea. Over the course of a number of years, they plotted, manipulated, and gathered resources in a bid to try and break the stranglehold the merchant-lords have on Ul’dah, but ultimately Talan and the others came to the conclusion that the corruption was just too deeply entrenched and their efforts to cause long-term change would either fail or result in a bloodbath.

Disheartened by this, they went their separate ways andTalan resigned himself to “just” adventuring, being a sellsword, and taking what pleasure and comfort he could out of that. While he is wary of any effort to really change the world, and hisbackstory coupled with the Darkside of a Dark Knight giving him an edge at times, Talan is generally a heroic character who takes serious issue with people being trapped in slavery or poverty and exploited. So, any mercenary work he partakes can’t get too obviously evil, but hopefully that won’t cripple RP prospects too much. On the plus side, if you have any characters with villainous or at least…questionable inclinations, I hope that Talan might make a fun antagonist.

And finally, I do apologize for the length of this post. Ijust wanted to be as upfront and clear about all this as possible to avoid any potential misunderstandings.

RE: Looking For Adventure, Antagonists, and Allies! - BasedRNG - 03-02-2017

(03-02-2017, 09:53 PM)Talan Yaeger Wrote: Hello, everyone!

While I have not been terrible active on this forum, I’mneither new to RP not this game. However, my life right now is in an…interesting state of flux and limbo at the moment, and I don’t think
therewill be a better time for me to feel out a new RP niche for myself.
I’m already in an RP FC, Unsung Heroes (USH), but I wouldlike to at least try and reach out to the larger community. It’s kind of ridiculous to sit in my chair, moping about my uncertainties regarding the future of my RP hobby if I’m not doing anythingabout it.Tongue

As far as RP goes, I think right now I’m looking for action,adventure, and more…purpose-driven RP than you might find just randomly stalking the Quicksand. Social RP can be loads of fun, but I general prefer it to be more about character development than small talk with people you more likely than not will never see again.

Writing-wise, I try to shoot for at least a paragraph apost, often several when a lot is happening during a scene. I do understand that writing a novella for every turn a conversation takes is not warranted or even possible, but endless one-liners will erode my fun and interest sooner or later.

I’m not sure what thecurrent status of the divide is, but some of the times I have glanced over this forum, I’ve noticed that some tend to favor something close to gritty realism in their action RPs while others embrace the more…Final Fantasy-ish interpretation of the setting with sword-beams and hapless grunts flying everywhere. I’d say that I tend more towards the latter, not that I don’t appreciate serious storylines, clever tactics, or even the use of actual martial arts in posts.

On the character front, my main and only character onBalmung is Talan Yeager…because I am incredibly creative like that. He is a powerful Dark Knight and former citizen of Ul’dah who grew up in one of the poorer families with a front row seat to just how bad things can get there if you don’t enough gil. After an…enterprising merchant decided to hike up the prices for an antidote to a disease ravaging that part of the city, Talan snapped and tried to steal some only to fall in with an elite team of revolutionary adventurers who had the same idea. Over the course of a number of years, they plotted, manipulated, and gathered resources in a bid to try and break the stranglehold the merchant-lords have on Ul’dah, but ultimately Talan and the others came to the conclusion that the corruption was just too deeply entrenched and their efforts to cause long-term change would either fail or result in a bloodbath.

Disheartened by this, they went their separate ways andTalan resigned himself to “just” adventuring, being a sellsword, and taking what pleasure and comfort he could out of that. While he is wary of any effort to really change the world, and hisbackstory coupled with the Darkside of a Dark Knight giving him an edge at times, Talan is generally a heroic character who takes serious issue with people being trapped in slavery or poverty and exploited. So, any mercenary work he partakes can’t get too obviously evil, but hopefully that won’t cripple RP prospects too much. On the plus side, if you have any characters with villainous or at least…questionable inclinations, I hope that Talan might make a fun antagonist.

And finally, I do apologize for the length of this post. Ijust wanted to be as upfront and clear about all this as possible to avoid any potential misunderstandings.
Well, hey, if you need a healer on your side, my Muijh would be more than happy to help! She's been looking for a more permanent adventuring partner/group, so it'd be tons of fun for me! Lemme know if you want me to just post her backstory or just send it to ya for the sake of brevity on this board.

RE: Looking For Adventure, Antagonists, and Allies! - Sasarna Sarna - 03-03-2017

Hey! My character is a dark knight too <3 she also heals on the side. Feel free to hit me up. She's a wanderer so it's easy to get her into a location.

https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Sasarna_Sarna

RE: Looking For Adventure, Antagonists, and Allies! - Talan Yaeger - 03-03-2017

@BasedRNG: Sure, message the backstory away! That might make brainstorming ideas for said adventuring easier Smile

@Cacata: Ha, that does sound potentially fun, and I appreciate the interest! I may just need to give Sasarna's wiki page another, closer look over, but I hope you won't mind if I message you a question or two while I contemplate basic ideas at least Big Grin

RE: Looking For Adventure, Antagonists, and Allies! - Sasarna Sarna - 03-04-2017

(03-03-2017, 06:41 PM)Talan Yaeger Wrote: @BasedRNG: Sure, message the backstory away! That might make brainstorming ideas for said adventuring easier Smile

@Cacata: Ha, that does sound potentially fun, and I appreciate the interest! I may just need to give Sasarna's wiki page another, closer look over, but I hope you won't mind if I message you a question or two while I contemplate basic ideas at least Big Grin
No problemoo friendo~

RE: Looking For Adventure, Antagonists, and Allies! - Thunderbolt300 - 03-04-2017

Hey there!

I'd point you into the direction of the Hydaelyn Protectors- they're a vigilante group and linkshell that will likely give you some additional contacts that would probably mesh pretty strongly with Talan! You'll want to get in touch with Deahfel regarding this- I link to their forum post below in my signature.

That said, you're also welcome to run into Kasi (and most likely you will anyway since I saw you're working with Liliro already!). Kasi is a wandering mercenary, trader, cook and occasional bartender, and while she most certainly falls into the realm of lawful evil, she can get along with just about anyone. You're welcome to read about her below in my signature and if something tickles, maybe we can set up an encounter sometime? 

Regardless, best of luck on your search! Thumbsup

RE: Looking For Adventure, Antagonists, and Allies! - lyrax123 - 03-05-2017

Hello!

I know with a recent rp that happened, my character Naomi Kett is interested in eradicating potential slave rings, illegal fight clubs and the like. Also, Naomi is an ex-dark knight who had a bit of a bad time with the arts, if you want someone that can either teach or discourage the ways I'm always interested in that kind of rp!

Though if you're looking for a a group of sorts, The Outriders are a great choice. A bit biased since I'm the leader, but it's we are focused on story driven rp. We do investigation type rp where it brings us to the more seedier side of Eorzea, while also have all out monster hunting/adventure type of rp for a bit of variety. We also host a monthly tavern night to get our social rp fix.

Best of luck on your journey and hope to hear from you!

RE: Looking For Adventure, Antagonists, and Allies! - Talan Yaeger - 03-05-2017

@Thunderbolt300: Ah, thank you very much for the pointer regarding the Hydaelyn Protectors! I'd say that linkshell is at least worth a shot, and I can probably count on at least meeting some people no matter what Smile

I am indeed contemplating an event and potential plot hook that might put Talan on a collision course with the Mischief's Coven, but I'd be happy to see what can be brainstormed in regards to Kasi specifically as well if that doesn't write itself Big Grin

@Lyrax123: That sounds promising all-around, actually. Talan has the martial aspects of dark knighting pretty much down-pat, but the emotional control part can get shakey at times. Especially if something as guaranteed to push all his buttons as slavery is being dealt with.

The Outriders sound pretty interesting as well. I have been itching to see an RP storyline unfold to completion for a change, and it does sound like you guys have a pretty nice variety of activities going on as well. So, definitely another RP lead for me to see about chasing down Big Grin

RE: Looking For Adventure, Antagonists, and Allies! - lyrax123 - 03-05-2017

(03-05-2017, 04:55 PM)Talan Yaeger Wrote: @Thunderbolt300: Ah, thank you very much for the pointer regarding the Hydaelyn Protectors! I'd say that linkshell is at least worth a shot, and I can probably count on at least meeting some people no matter what Smile

I am indeed contemplating an event and potential plot hook that might put Talan on a collision course with the Mischief's Coven, but I'd be happy to see what can be brainstormed in regards to Kasi specifically as well if that doesn't write itself Big Grin

@Lyrax123: That sounds promising all-around, actually. Talan has the martial aspects of dark knighting pretty much down-pat, but the emotional control part can get shakey at times. Especially if something as guaranteed to push all his buttons as slavery is being dealt with.

The Outriders sound pretty interesting as well. I have been itching to see an RP storyline unfold to completion for a change, and it does sound like you guys have a pretty nice variety of activities going on as well. So, definitely another RP lead for me to see about chasing down Big Grin
Cool! You can contact me here or in game. The name is N'aomi Kett! Would love to work something out with you, at least on the dark knight side!

You can also visit our house. We're in the Mist, Ward 1 Plot 60. Can't wait to hear from you!

RE: Looking For Adventure, Antagonists, and Allies! - EliBallard - 03-05-2017

Heya!

Elijah is a similarly heroic character, though he's something of a country bumpkin and knows little about the world beyond what he's heard in stories, read in books, or seen in his pocket of the Twelveswood and Vylbrand. It's easy for him to get swept up in a cause if it's a good one, and those that can stand his curiosity and occasional bragging find a fast friend, steadfast ally and skilled bowman at their side.

At the moment I tend to do most of my RP via Discord and Tumblr due to my work schedule, but I wouldn't be against in-game stuff if we could swing a time. Feel free to gimme a poke here, on my Tumblr linked below or at Elijah Ballard #0247 on Discord.