Hydaelyn Role-Players
That moment when... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: That moment when... (/showthread.php?tid=19035)

That moment when... - Seye Qhesu - 04-05-2017

You enjoy your job too much.

Our healthcare system is switching to a new electronic medical record system so all the 40+ ambulatory sites, four hospitals, and allied private practices are on the same system so the patient will have only one chat for easier care.

The old system was paper for verification (free tickets) but this be one is like a damn video game. I get so enthralled when insurances ping back saying there is a different one that I just start following the clues like a detective. When I discover new tricks that the trainers didn't find, and just how nice it is that I don't have to change practices by fully logging out and back in to help others with their claim edits, registration queue, and more.

Odd question but does anyone else have this enjoyment of their job?

(I've cleared 24 office queues this morning so now I'm bored)

RE: That moment when... - Nero - 04-05-2017

Being a bartender was kind of a shit experience for the most part, but on the quiet nights where most of the patrons are interested just in getting shitfaced I took quite a bit of enjoyment on it.

I played the shit out of Root Beer Tapper as a kid, so that probably explains it.

RE: That moment when... - Varinh - 04-05-2017

I always loved animals and had an artistic interest, so when I started putting in job applications everywhere (pet services especially) and I actually got accepted for dog grooming, I was scared at first. But almost a year later, I wouldn't want to work anywhere else, really.

RE: That moment when... - Lan Darklyn - 04-05-2017

I used to have a job I loved, that was being in the U.S. Army. Sure it had it's shitty days, and getting shot at and blown up gets reaaalllly old real fast, but overall I enjoyed the hell outta it.
1.Paid to work-out!
2.Paid to shoot and blow shit up!
3.Paid to jump out of airplanes!
4.Full coverage healthcare.

I was an investigator for the military police so there was lots of fun stuff with that too. But yeah, these days I hate my job and am currently trying to claw my way back into the military lol.

RE: That moment when... - John Spiegel - 04-06-2017

I make/edit/manipulate digital elevation maps and the sort primarily via ArcGIS. I consider it a point-and-click adventure game at times. I rather enjoy the job even on crappy projects. The boring/crappy parts aren't that bad, just hard to stay focused when it's not engaging but when I'm creating a map? All my geology nerding and video game nerding comes out.

So yeah, I feel you.

RE: That moment when... - Faye - 04-06-2017

I'm a dog walker/petsitter. It does have a lot of downsides, but ultimately I'm getting paid to hang out with cute animals all day and that's p great.

RE: That moment when... - Tyndles - 04-06-2017

(04-06-2017, 04:09 PM)Faye Wrote: I'm a dog walker/petsitter. It does have a lot of downsides, but ultimately I'm getting paid to hang out with cute animals all day and that's p great.

ALL THE POO!

Sorry, flashback to my time as a dogwalker.

RE: That moment when... - Faye - 04-06-2017

(04-06-2017, 04:12 PM)Tyndles Wrote:
(04-06-2017, 04:09 PM)Faye Wrote: I'm a dog walker/petsitter. It does have a lot of downsides, but ultimately I'm getting paid to hang out with cute animals all day and that's p great.

ALL THE POO!

Sorry, flashback to my time as a dogwalker.

Lots of poo Sad (And pee... and vomit...)

RE: That moment when... - Verad - 04-06-2017

There are several jobs. Whether I hate them or not depends entirely on the day and what I'm doing.

At the main job, it's grading season and I have to wade through the incoherent ramblings of freshman composition students trying to write something that isn't a book report for the very first time. I really hate that job right now.

RE: That moment when... - Amnesic - 04-06-2017

(04-06-2017, 04:39 PM)Verad Wrote: There are several jobs. Whether I hate them or not depends entirely on the day and what I'm doing.

At the main job, it's grading season and I have to wade through the incoherent ramblings of freshman composition students trying to write something that isn't a book report for the very first time. I really hate that job right now.

Book Reports? Huh, I had to do straight-up essays all the way through high school and only a couple weren't multi-page. I think I was maybe only ever been assigned two book reports in all.

Being an education major, I guess I have that to look forward to! *Shrugs*

RE: That moment when... - Seye Qhesu - 04-06-2017

I am actually getting ready to change Jobs (technically). Right now, I have been in the Float Pool as a Medical Secretary and thus go between *counts as new sites were added* 37-39 sites for the health system? All of them are now officially up on the new EMR and there is one site I love so much that I actually took a job to stop floating.

While there I will be handling Referrals, Authorizations, and Patient registration; which I just love to do. Anytime I go there I have fun. It's creepy to have so much fun at work. WHY ARE ADULT THINGS FUN?!

RE: That moment when... - Verad - 04-07-2017

(04-06-2017, 07:15 PM)Amnesic Wrote: Book Reports? Huh, I had to do straight-up essays all the way through high school and only a couple weren't multi-page. I think I was maybe only ever been assigned two book reports in all.

Being an education major, I guess I have that to look forward to! *Shrugs*

I don't care what they called it in AP English. They are almost universally book reports. The rare instances in which they were asked to do something more complicated are instances in which the students failed to do that thing.

RE: That moment when... - Val - 04-07-2017

I have a pretty lax job revolving around Middleware/IT at a very well-known, multinational bank. It's pretty great because most of the time I get to chill, churn out services/changes on a timely basis, and manage myself--to the point that I get to work from home virtually whenever I want. 

It sucks when I have to man company-wide updates. Recently, I was in charge of a certificate update to our production servers and spent a month or so talking to various vendors/clients to get them all ready for the date. If something went wrong, then that entire side of the bank would be down and it'd have been my fault D=

So it's not stressful until it is. And then it's very, very stressful. But the pay doesn't suck and I can chill.

RE: That moment when... - Aysun - 04-07-2017

I'm a medical laboratory scientist and I work in an microbiology reference lab. So, while I do have to deal with gross stuff, I have a really cool job I really enjoy. I get to help people, without having to interact with them face to face, and get to use my brain all day every day to figure things out and make decisions. Things I get to do:

- Read cultures on everything from stool (Got Salmonella?), to wounds (and abscesses and every other infected pustule your doctor might swab because it hurts and is full of pus), to blood (sepsis is bad kids), and urine (I read 190 urine cultures today, that's a lot of pee). I determine if the bacteria that grows is significant, identify it by using biochemical reactions, and provide the doctor with the information needed to treat the infection. This is the bulk of my work - reading cultures, making decisions, providing answers. I love it. So, meet Escherichia coli, a guy I encounter every day, who likes to make you sick if it gets in the wrong places, but is in every single one of you already!:
[Image: 122-1.jpg]

- Look for and identify parasites - this is a gross one but is fun okay. Sure, I have to look at poop (and sometimes blood if we're looking for malaria and similar) through a microscope, but who wouldn't want to find this guy staring back at you? (Though trust me, as a patient, you don't want him there; Giardia).
[Image: 19.jpg]

- Perform high tech molecular/PCR tests that detect the DNA of pathogens such as Trichomonas, Gardnerella vaginalis, Candida albicans, Clostridium difficile (toxigenic strain), Staphylococcus aureus/MRSA, Influenza, etc.

- I also do stuff with other viruses! We have viral cultures for herpes woo! We literally take a small glass coverslip with a layer of mouse kidney cells on it, inoculate it with our patient's sample and infect those little cells, and then stain it! We get to look at it fluorescently, so it glooows.
[Image: FIG-5-Detection-of-HSV-1-and-HSV-2-in-EL...V-with.png]

There's a lot more I do, but that's some of the things I love. As a MLS, I'm trained in everything from hematology, immunohematology (transfusion medicine), clinical chemistry, body fluid and urinalysis, molecular diagnostics, and of course, microbiology. I also do plenty of other things, that are more paper-worky to stay busy when I'm not reading a bench (aka doing the things above), and I love my job.

RE: That moment when... - Arcian - 04-08-2017

Job #1: I am half of the IT/web development department for a startup. I also handle marketing sometimes. Company is based in the city where I live.

Job #2: Admin/HR for an IT outsourcing firm. I wrangle interns and also occasionally pretend to be an extra member of the management team when they need to look more professional. Company is based in Liverpool, so my schedule for them can get sort of weird sometimes thanks to the five-hour time difference.

The joke is that I was an English major and had to teach myself everything on the job.

It's not what I thought I'd end up doing with my life, but the hours are flexible and the pay's okay, so I'm alright with it even if job #1 has been a little bit crazy lately.