Hydaelyn Role-Players
Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? (/showthread.php?tid=19303)

Pages: 1 2

Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - Rosanna Foxfire - 05-05-2017

So, I've never noticed this before, but today someone in my FC brought up that casters often close their eyes while casting larger spells.  And Arcanists close or shield their eyes for every spell, having tested it out some.

So I got curious, is there a lore reason for this?  Is it just shielding our eyes against the bright lights of the gathering aether?  Another theory was that it's our characters concentrating on gathering the necessary aether to cast the spell.

So what're y'all's thoughts and ideas for this?  Is there a reason?

RE: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - Aysun - 05-05-2017

My personal reasoning for this is just that they're concentrating. Actual lore reason? No idea!

RE: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - Parth Makeo - 05-05-2017

...to focus spells? I mean isn't that kind of a common thing if you want to focus as much as possible to shut off as many senses as possible? Like eyesight to properly focus whatever it is into your hand.
It's kind of like how snipers have to stop breathing and use one eye to make accurate shots in a sense. Just a common trait to ensure it works.

RE: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - Kismet - 05-05-2017

For arcanists/summoners in particular, I don't think they're "shielding their eyes". Their stance is just for aesthetic. Besides, the animations for summoning and casting Ruin 3 are done with their eyes open for the entire process.

As for everyone else? Just concentration. I wouldn't overthink it. Laugh

RE: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - Sounsyy - 05-05-2017

(05-05-2017, 07:08 PM)Rosanna Foxfire Wrote: So I got curious, is there a lore reason for this?

If I had to guess based on magic lore...

Arcanist:
Anonymous Arcanist Wrote:For an arcanist to weave his spells, he must conjure in his mind the image of distinct mystical diagrams known as arcane geometries.

Thaumaturge:
Lodestone Wrote:At the heart of this school of magic lies the ability to call forth and command the latent aether within oneself through deep introspection.

Conjury:
Lodestone Wrote:Through practiced meditation on the essences of creation, conjurers draw forth and absorb aether from their immediate surroundings.

RE: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - Nebbs - 05-05-2017

Because black mage shows us that reduced sight = more power.

Show Content

RE: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - Lydia Lightfoot - 05-05-2017

Obi-wan told them to let go their conscious self, and act on instinct.

I mean, if it works for space wizards, why not non-space wizards. Big Grin

RE: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - Charity322 - 05-06-2017

But don't you need to see what you're aiming at? XD

RE: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - Lydia Lightfoot - 05-06-2017

(05-06-2017, 12:05 AM)Charity322 Wrote: But don't you need to see what you're aiming at? XD

Let go, Luke.

RE: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - Menelwen - 05-06-2017

(05-06-2017, 12:05 AM)Charity322 Wrote: But don't you need to see what you're aiming at? XD

Just make the explosion bigger. Bomb

RE: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - Silfur - 05-06-2017

Boring non-lore answer.

The whole thing with the eyes and magic most probably is a reference to Odin (the Norse god, not his namesake in game). Odin, a practitioner of seiðr (magic in Old Norse society) among other things, sacrificed one his eyes for wisdom/perception.

*Throws a link* http://norse-mythology.org/tales/why-odin-is-one-eyed/

Also a theme we see in HW with the dragons.

RE: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - TrueGota - 05-06-2017

(05-06-2017, 01:56 AM)Menelwen Wrote:

Just make the explosion bigger. Bomb
A'zaza approves of this method.

RE: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - Valence - 05-07-2017

(05-05-2017, 07:51 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Arcanist:
Anonymous Arcanist Wrote:For an arcanist to weave his spells, he must conjure in his mind the image of distinct mystical diagrams known as arcane geometries.

Thaumaturge:
Lodestone Wrote:At the heart of this school of magic lies the ability to call forth and command the latent aether within oneself through deep introspection.

Conjury:
Lodestone Wrote:Through practiced meditation on the essences of creation, conjurers draw forth and absorb aether from their immediate surroundings.

That makes perfect sense for conjury and thaumaturgy, but the question that often bugged me is why would arcanists need to think of the arcane geometries that are already written in their books? Open your eyes and look at the damn book no?

RE: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - PhantasticPanda - 05-07-2017

(05-07-2017, 08:33 AM)Valence Wrote:
(05-05-2017, 07:51 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Arcanist:

Thaumaturge:

Conjury:

That makes perfect sense for conjury and thaumaturgy, but the question that often bugged me is why would arcanists need to think of the arcane geometries that are already written in their books? Open your eyes and look at the damn book no?

Ain't got time to be flipping through the glossary/table of contents! So I'd say they'd have to conjure up the image in their minds, which then activates from the runes in the book from the appropriate page. And seeing how the geometries are distinct and probably precise, memorization through studying.

RE: Why do our characters close their eyes while casting spells? - Charity322 - 05-07-2017

(05-07-2017, 12:34 PM)PhantasticPanda Wrote: Ain't got time to be flipping through the glossary/table of contents! So I'd say they'd have to conjure up the image in their minds, which then activates from the runes in the book from the appropriate page. And seeing how the geometries are distinct and probably precise, memorization through studying.

Haha, no don't attack me yet. I have to look something up in the index for this one. XD