Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread (/showthread.php?tid=19397)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Moonlit - 05-17-2017

[Image: tZvZWk7.png]

For those who may not read things! If you plan on transferring or making a character on one of the listed servers you need to do so before Stormblood. Afterward, they'll be closing it off for an indefinite amount of time. So if you needed a nudge, here it is!

Update: It appears the servers may already be locked. Balmung is not accessible on the mogstation transfer list.

Yep, they've been locked. So if you're unable to transfer to Balmung this'll be why! There's no news yet on when the servers will be unlocked. But I doubt it'll be permanent. Similar locks happened during Heavensward. ♥

Another Update:
Lodestone Link. Kage's full post. 
It does appear from the wording that services will be offered come Stormblood for players looking to transfer off.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Moonlit - 05-17-2017

*Update: It appears that the servers may already be locked. 

Yep, they've been locked.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - LiadansWhisper - 05-17-2017

Kind of shitty they did this so suddenly without warning.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 02:49 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Kind of shitty they did this so suddenly without warning.

They've been telling us to not transfer to fill world's for a really long time. They just weren't actually enforcing their words. It sucks, but this is also the perfect chance to foster some larger RP communities on other servers. (I can almost hear Mateus server people screaming!)

(05-17-2017, 03:07 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 02:49 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Kind of shitty they did this so suddenly without warning.

They've been telling us to not transfer to fill world's for a really long time. They just weren't actually enforcing their words. It sucks, but this is also the perfect chance to foster some larger RP communities on other servers. (I can almost hear Mateus server people screaming!)

The timing is what bugs me about this.

My only real gripe about this is locking the server and not giving free transfers off. Especially right now, as there are people destined to be unhappy with their ping. I think a good balance to locking down the server would have been giving high population servers the ability to transfer off without cost for a certain period of time. This would allow other communities to prosper and give those who may not have the funding (but are affected by the server move) the ability to clear out some space (especially with that gil increase for moving!). 

*Edited to add:
I do agree the timing might be a little blah if you've been trying to get friends into the game/server for the expansion.

(05-17-2017, 03:10 AM)Moonlit Wrote: My only real gripe about this is locking the server and not giving free transfers off. Especially right now, as there are people destined to be unhappy with their ping. I think a good balance to locking down the server would have been giving high population servers the ability to transfer off without cost for a certain period of time. This would allow other communities to prosper and give those who may not have the funding (but are affected by the server move) the ability to clear out some space (especially with that gil increase for moving!). 

*Edited to add:
I do agree the timing might be a little blah if you've been trying to get friends into the game/server for the expansion.

I think they're hoping to make money off the transfers off, tbh. Because some raiding guilds, for instance, will almost certainly leave due to the lack of fresh blood.

It does look like they're trying to figure out high-volume to low-volume transfer benefits. I'm interested to see how possible FC transfers will work. There could be some groups interested.

(05-17-2017, 03:14 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I think they're hoping to make money off the transfers off, tbh.  Because some raiding guilds, for instance, will almost certainly leave due to the lack of fresh blood.

I agree that's likely the case I'm just. . .   disappointed by it? To bring up the typical, "But them other games!" reference, like. When other games have experienced overloading high population servers they just. . .  offer free transfers off. It's a courtesy thing. And while I don't think that XIV may need to maintain that system, I do think it's only fair for them to offer it temporarily when a move happened after players had already selected their realm and grown content with their pings / what-have-you. Drastically changing server should allow people a grace period of, "Nope. . . don't like this time to change."

And I mean, it's not like it'd be the first time they offered free transfers for doing something large scale. They did it with the EU data center. 

Idk, I agree it's a money thing, but I feel like. . .   they should respect (lack of a better term) their playerbase more than that and offer a grace period.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Iron Bride - 05-17-2017

I've been kind of expecting them to do this for a while, to be honest.   It's a sensible move just prior to an expansion.

That doesn't mean it sucks any less for the folks that are affected, but I expect it will be temporary.

(05-17-2017, 03:19 AM)Dayuuqi Wrote: I've been kind of expecting them to do this for a while, to be honest.   It's a sensible move just prior to an expansion.

That doesn't mean it sucks any less for the folks that are affected, but I expect it will be temporary.

Temporary like the character creation locks that haven't been changed in like...three years?

Mmkay.

(05-17-2017, 03:18 AM)Moonlit Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 03:14 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I think they're hoping to make money off the transfers off, tbh.  Because some raiding guilds, for instance, will almost certainly leave due to the lack of fresh blood.

I agree that's likely the case I'm just. . .   disappointed by it? To bring up the typical, "But them other games!" reference, like. When other games have experienced overloading high population servers they just. . .  offer free transfers off. It's a courtesy thing. And while I don't think that XIV may need to maintain that system, I do think it's only fair for them to offer it temporarily when a move happened after players had already selected their realm and grown content with their pings / what-have-you. Drastically changing server should allow people a grace period of, "Nope. . . don't like this time to change."

And I mean, it's not like it'd be the first time they offered free transfers for doing something large scale. They did it with the EU data center. 

Idk, I agree it's a money thing, but I feel like. . .   they should respect (lack of a better term) their playerbase more than that and offer a grace period.

Honestly, a lot of this could be solved if they would just allow us to play cross-server.

(05-17-2017, 03:22 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Honestly, a lot of this could be solved if they would just allow us to play cross-server.

They do though? And have been taking steps to improve what's currently available. FFXIV was never designed to have to accommodate a cross-world experience outside of instances zones, which were special and probably separated from the other zone servers. We've seen they plan to add cross-world raiding, friends list, tells, free companies, etc. I don't forsee cross-world zones because thst would defeat the purpose of having separate world at all. And given how the network stuff is set up, they probably still need that because those packets can be bloated at times.

(05-17-2017, 03:28 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 03:22 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Honestly, a lot of this could be solved if they would just allow us to play cross-server.

They do though? And have been taking steps to improve what's currently available. FFXIV was never designed to have to accommodate a cross-world experience outside of instances zones, which were special and probably separated from the other zone servers. We've seen they plan to add cross-world raiding, friends list, tells, free companies, etc. I don't forsee cross-world zones because thst would defeat the purpose of having separate world at all. And given how the network stuff is set up, they probably still need that because those packets can be bloated at times.

-megaserver flashbacks-
-screams-

I'm sorry that's all I see with, "Cross-World zones." I'm not sure if it can be done differently but
pleasenomegaserverspleasenoplease.

(05-17-2017, 03:28 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

They do not. I have friends on Behemoth. I cannot play with them with my character on Balmung. I can't even talk to them while on Balmung, except through Discord or Skype.